My first Morgans

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Hatya
Coining Around

My first Morgans

#1 Unread post by Hatya »

I mentioned in my into post im brand new to this hobby.

Today I purchased my 1st 2 Morgans which are also my my first 2 non bullion coins. I figure I will learn the most by buying and learning. I bought both of these because I thought they where really attractive, and they where what i consider cheap for learning purposes.

I looked them up on the PCGS CoinFacts app on my phone before buying them. I may have paid a bit to much but I figured Id post them and let you guys tell me.

Don’t worry about hurting my feeling, I like the coins and that’s what matters I’m not sure about grading but hoping they might be AU 58 ?? I compared them to the grading imagines and im guessing that’s close

Thanks for any comments
Attachments
64C4C80F-C17B-4F90-98EB-153271716722.jpeg
07B7C0FB-D651-4CC6-85BC-154D38FBA85F.jpeg
585A7F33-D14E-4108-8DDE-9416EA102A7A.jpeg
BD6A4150-25EE-4115-828D-DAABE2CBB8AC.jpeg

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: My first Morgans

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

I like these coins also . I will go AU55 on both coins , Slight trace of wear, Luster s still present , although marred by light surface abrasions . I had to look in my ANA Grading Standards book for this one . I recommend in the future owning one for grading and of course Daniel's grading guide .
Attachments
IMG_20201226_231009250_HDR.jpg
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

mikev50
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by mikev50 »

very nice coins--au55--au58---first thing i would do is get them out of them holders---put them in something without staples--

Hatya
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by Hatya »

mikev50 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:27 pm very nice coins--au55--au58---first thing i would do is get them out of them holders---put them in something without staples--
Can you explain why the staples are bad? I’m guessing they can rust or something?

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#5 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

They are my pet peeve because they can scratch one coin to another if not crimped with pliers . I personally like the adhesive 2x2 holders for bulk coins and for my favorites I use the "do it self style " slabs that just snap together like these .
Attachments
lhslab-wc.jpg
lhslab-wc.jpg (63.23 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
Member of CONECA

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#6 Unread post by Coin Mule »

SensibleSal66 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:26 pm They are my pet peeve because they can scratch one coin to another if not crimped with pliers . I personally like the adhesive 2x2 holders for bulk coins and for my favorites I use the "do it self style " slabs that just snap together like these .
Sal, you need to pick up your game Braugh, print out a nice designer label like the ones I see on ebay. call it S.N.G.C., S.C.G.S., then get some laser label's, they are cheap from China, and the world will be your oyster Dog 🐶
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Hey H, nice coins, remember that the '21s had "plane" dies and not "basined" in other words not polished so the luster will be weak in these in general. With this being said I think the thing that will kill these are not so much the wear but the hairlines on the obverse, and also on the second one, if you look under the eagle's wing and above the olive branch going up into the wing you can see where it was rubbed with maybe a rough cloth. This left a haze of concentric scratches going up and down. Generally with circulated or AU coins wear is not the problem it would be for an MS grade, but scratches and hairlines are a pain because, in general, if you have these types of scratches and hairlines, the coin will come back cleaned/deets.

This is the challenge with buying raw coins, if it has hairlines, or concentric scratches, steer clear, unless you are just filling a spot in a collection.

This is where I kind of diverge from Daniel, a few months ago I bought 30 Morgans, out of the 30 I got 19 gradable coins, among the 19 was my first VAM found in the wild. As far as the rest, they were UNC but had evidence of being scratched and cleaned. So, remembering my days as a trader, I cut my losses, and sold the 11 questionable coins at cost or near cost. I was not going to waste another cent on them because I knew I would be digging the hole deeper. One coin dealer told me he has a stack of cleaned/deets coins that he cannot get rid of, ever since I heard that, I knew that it just doesn't make any financial sense.

If you want to slab it, take the Sal route, make up a nice label and print it on cardstock or thick paper, and there you have it.

Oh yeah, I forgot. I am kind of OCD about scratches on coins, just like I am about dirt in a cars clear coat, it really bothers me, basically ruins the coin for me because my eye is drawn right to it, but this is just one Mule's opinion.
Last edited by Coin Mule on Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#8 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Just to clarify , those Pics are for illustration only . My actual coins are in nicer labels . I just felt it was easier to find similar one's like mine I bought from a good coin supply Company .
Member of CONECA

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

The 1921's are nice and average for this year and they're selling for an average of $40 in the current market.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Earle42 »

I remember the thrill in owning my first Morgan. I was a boy and that 1879 was so very special. It still is. Too bad all these years have gone by and I have not kept my looks as well as she kept hers! Congrats on some nice silver cartwheels.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?