Where's Waldo, er...I mean post-2000 halves

Flowing Hair, Draped Bust, Capped Bust, Seated Liberty, Barber, Walking Liberty, Franklin Head, Kennedy Head

Moderator: Daniel

BillyBob
Coin Collector

Where's Waldo, er...I mean post-2000 halves

#1 Unread post by BillyBob »

I worked through quite a few rolls of half dollars Thursday and I did not find any silver at all. I get that; I'm sure there are others doing the same thing. I pulled out all 1971 P&D's, 1972 P&D's, and 1977 D's. At the time, I did not know the mint mark of the errors for those years. I found A little over $80 worth of these 3 years total out of $250. I pulled out almost $40 in Bicentennials. My question is why wasn't I able to get anything newer than 2000 date halves?

DanB
Coinasieur

Re: Where's Waldo, er...I mean post-2000 halves

#2 Unread post by DanB »

They stopped issuing them in 2002 for circulation so if they are in rolls people have cracked out of mint/proof sets or bought directly from mint in rolls and bags.

Earle42
Coin Expert

#3 Unread post by Earle42 »

Here you go...what to look for. Page 1 and 2 in .jpg format:
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Click to enlarge
Fact Check the grading Companies:
Fact checking grading company shortcomings on NO FG halves:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

BillyBob
Coin Collector

#4 Unread post by BillyBob »

Earle42 wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:14 am Here you go...what to look for. Page 1 and 2 in .jpg format:
Kennedy_Cheat_Sheet_1.jpg
Kennedy_Cheat_Sheet_2.jpg
Fantastic. Hard to find this information. That is w/o the Cherrypickers Guide. I will have to make the investment at least in the online version.

Earle42
Coin Expert

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

I have the CP guides, used them, and like them. Then I realized there are other sources online which have things not inside the CP. The lists I posted have been compiled from the CP and other online sources. As you might be able to tell, there is no ONE master listing I have found, which is why I put this list together.

I only included the polished off "No F" listings b/c although they bring no premium and result from polished dies, I saw them listed online from other searchers and decided to see about finding them. I did find them, but also have no problem spending them either!

The No FG 1972-D is also, I believe from polishing the die, and therefore not an actual error. But from now on I plan on using them as a learning tool to show others, b/c it can be seen where the details of the eagle surrounding these alleged missing initials are always worn. Hence despite literal thousands of $ spent on slabbed ones, these are not a true error. They were "discovered" by former PCGS president Ron Guth, and its another strike against me calling the company professional since, surely, THE coin experts of the hobby should be able to tell a die polishing vs. a legitimate error. I admit some of them really look like they are missing the initials, but many are ghosted if not showing actual remnants.

Read the link in my signature for an essay with verifiable and linked (for the reader to check) facts on the legitimate (not an insult) incompetence about the No FG issue concerning grading companies.
Fact Check the grading Companies:
Fact checking grading company shortcomings on NO FG halves:
https://tinyurl.com/yalrstjz or higher resolution version: https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8