1983 P & D Washingtons

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
BillyBob
Coin Collector

1983 P & D Washingtons

#1 Unread post by BillyBob »

This question is basically the same one I had for Kennedy halves. Why isn't the 1982 Washington's worth more than the 1983's? What would make a higher mintage coin more costly than a lower mintage coin, in the same metal, style, era and grade? Thank you, William

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1983 P & D Washingtons

#2 Unread post by Earle42 »

Other things can also influence the price. I do not know specifics in the case of the 82 and 83 quarters, but let's take what is generally called the key of the Jefferson nickel set for an example: The 1950-D

So many people hoarded this nickel when it was made that it seems harder to find one without original mint luster on it than one in mint state (or close). The price when I was a kid in the 60s and 70s was actually a lot more than what it is now due to devaluation of the dollar over time. I bought mine for 9.00 back then (according to: https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/ this is $41.00 in today's money). I see some have sold recently on eBay for as low as 9.50. Just too many Bu ones available for such a low mintage.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Earle42 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:16 pm Other things can also influence the price. I do not know specifics in the case of the 82 and 83 quarters, but let's take what is generally called the key of the Jefferson nickel set for an example: The 1950-D

So many people hoarded this nickel when it was made that it seems harder to find one without original mint luster on it than one in mint state (or close). The price when I was a kid in the 60s and 70s was actually a lot more than what it is now due to devaluation of the dollar over time. I bought mine for 9.00 back then (according to: https://www.usinflationcalculator.com/ this is $41.00 in today's money). I see some have sold recently on eBay for as low as 9.50. Just too many Bu ones available for such a low mintage.
Hey Big E, what up. I think the values of specific coins may have more to do with demand than dollar devaluation, although I am sure the devaluation may be part of it, I think popularity plays a huge role. Take for instance the toner craze, I will admit some of them are really nice, but a couple of multiples of retail just because it is toned, that is just popularity. Or what about the 2020 W End of World War II 75th Anniversary Privy V75 Silver Eagle, man people were losing their minds to buy these things, and now, ehhhh not so much.

Anyway FWIW
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

I agree with what you said. When looking at current prices I just decided to see how much the same nickel is NOT worth anymore and, for some strange reason, included the info.

Availability and popularity are what makes the price. Had people not hoarded the 1950-Ds, not so many BU pieces would be out there, and the price for a BU would likely also be a lot higher as well.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

No mint sets are 82 and 83 and collectors set these markets.

BillyBob
Coin Collector

#6 Unread post by BillyBob »

Collector's setting the price I get but they seem fairly plentiful in the upper circulated grades and perhaps a bit more plentiful than the 82. Gotta have 'em both to complete the set. That's about it. Thank you for your time Daniel. I know how busy you are.

BillyBob
Coin Collector

#7 Unread post by BillyBob »

Earle42 wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:16 pm Other things can also influence the price. I do not know specifics in the case of the 82 and 83 quarters, but let's take what is generally called the key of the Jefferson nickel set for an example: The 1950-D

Are saying that the 82's were hoarded and that is what caused their value to be lower than the 83's? Just trying to apply your nickel analogy to the quarters and halves.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

Sorry for the confusion.
You asked:
Are saying that the 82's were hoarded and that is what caused their value to be lower than the 83's? Just trying to apply your nickel analogy to the quarters and halves
No, the half dollars from 1982 were not hoarded.

I was trying to show, using the example of the key to the Jefferson nickel series, that coin mintages are not always the only thing to influence what price people will pay for a coin.

I also tried to show how that the key Jefferson nickel, despite having the lowest mintage of all Jefferson nickels, is easy to get in mint state b/c people hoarded them. So the hoarding kept the price for a mint state 1950-D very low (and it actually lost value over the years as I showed).

If the hoarding had not happened, a mint state 1950-D nickel would likely be very costly b/c most would have been circulated and worn down to a lesser grade/condition.

Hoarding of the 1950-D made them easy to get in mint state and so other more common (higher mintage) nickels will likely get a higher price in mint state than a 1950-D.

So your initial question of:
What would make a higher mintage coin more costly than a lower mintage coin, in the same metal, style, era and grade? Thank you
Can be answered by saying there are many different factors that drive the market prices paid. Low mintage is just one factor to a high value.

What specifically is it making a 1983 worth more than an 1982 half?

It could be that, for some reason, there is a higher population of slabbed, high grade 1982s than 1983s. Thus 83s would be higher valued.

Why might there be less 83s slabbed? Who knows? Random factors? Maybe not as many people sent in 1983s (random)? Maybe just the randomness of the real world meant that 82s normally were preserved better by no deliberate action, and so the 82s are more numerous?

The point is that other influences besides mintages can make a coin more sought after/valued than another. Hope this post clarifies my mess from before :)

BillyBob
Coin Collector

#9 Unread post by BillyBob »

Answer received Earle, thank you for your comprehensive reply. This was to be sent much earlier but I wanted to research your 50D nickel. You did fail to list a grade. I went over to the NGC priceguide to check values. Nice uncirculated coins can be had for little money. Once I left here looking for more info, I got lost in an internet maze. I only got out because I found another site called Coin Talk and I saw a name of someone on this site, who shall remain nameless. So here I am, post about to be submitted. lol

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Earle42 »

Sorry again - the 50-D I bought was mint state (we called it BU back then). Same condition easy to find and get b/c, like I said, these were hoarded.