1922-D Lincoln, Weak Reverse Die Set 3?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
muswell65
Coin Wizz

1922-D Lincoln, Weak Reverse Die Set 3?

#1 Unread post by muswell65 »

New member, 2nd post...

I've recently inherited my father's huge coin collection, and I'm trying to wrap my head around what I have. I do research on my own before I post anything here - I don't want to waste your time with "pipe dream" conclusions about coins I may have.

After sorting through countless tubes of Lincoln cents and doing some research online, I believe I have a 1922-D (although I can't see the D under magnification), Weak Reverse Die Set 3, and am interested in some feedback.

1922-D Lincoln Cent Obverse.jpg
1922-D Lincoln Cent Reverse.jpg

The pictures aren't great, but I've tried to capture the most noticeable identifier for Die Set 3 - the counter-clockwise rotation of the reverse. As well, the second 2 seems weaker than the first. "TRUST" seems sharper than "IN God WE". The "L" in "LIBERTY" is tight against the rim. The reverse seems weak, stronger in the center and weakening toward the rim. There seems to be a bit of spreading of the lower left of "O" in "ONE CENT".

The coin wasn't specifically labelled as such - I just pulled it out of the many other Lincoln cents in his collection after researching key dates.

Any feedback is appreciated! Thank you.

Jeff

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

Re: 1922-D Lincoln, Weak Reverse Die Set 3?

#2 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Hey Jeff, I will start with I don't know. But thinking logically about the coin, it really is worn and I am not sure a definite I.D. of a specific error or die type could be really had with that much wear. ID'ing coins that have errors etc. Has a certain procedure and Hierarchy it might go something like this; The D would be the first step, then the rotated Reverse, then the rest of the details. As you hit each "marker" you know you are on to something, right now, and this is only my opinion, you really have only one clear marker, the rotated reverse, the rest could just be circulation wear.

Obviously you could do a forensic investigation to see if the mint mark is still there. The process uses acid, and will leave an etched area on the coin, you may confirm the mint mark, but ruin the coin in the process. So I don't think you have enough evidence to prove that it actually Weak Reverse Die Set 3, but keep hunting, remember knowledge is power.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

muswell65
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by muswell65 »

Great feedback, Mule. Just what I needed to hear. Don't mean to be a nuisance with all my newbie questions.

Really appreciate you taking the time to respond. This forum and its members are awesome!

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by Coin Mule »

No problem my friend, this is a collaborative effort with everyone learning, and I mean everyone. Oh yeah and having two Numismatic Heavyweights like Daniel and Paul around, getting questions answered is pretty easy.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

muswell65
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by muswell65 »

I hesitated even posting this topic. After my research, I came to understand this is one of those topics that has been beaten to death. And experienced numismatists as are found on this website avoid it like the plague, especially for a worn coin - which this is. But on the plus side (for me), it is one of those topics that led me to this website :)

Thanks again, Mule - and to everyone who takes the time to post on Daniel's page!

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#6 Unread post by Paul »

The specimen would need to be examined 1st hand by a numismatic professional/or TPG to verify its authenticity…

With the wear on this coin, I don't believe it can be certified with images alone
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

muswell65
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by muswell65 »

Thanks for the feedback, Paul. My understanding is that this coin with a strong reverse is the preferred specimen. And given the wear here, I'll just separate it from the other bulk wheaties in this collection and put it in a cardboard 2x2 as an interesting coin...

Appreciate you taking the time to comment!

Jeff

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

Die Pair #2 with strong reverse is the true No D. Your coin should be weak D but not as desirable in this condition.

muswell65
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by muswell65 »

Thanks, Daniel. A good learning experience for me.

Such a wealth of information here. Thanks for organizing and bringing this community together. My Dad would certainly have enjoyed this :)