Gold Spouse coins

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
jpeter
Coining Around

Gold Spouse coins

#1 Unread post by jpeter »

I am looking for some opinions... I was thinking of selling most of my coin collection and investing it all in buying the Gold Spouce coins. Good investment? I know gold fluctuates, but the mintages will probably always be low. Thoughts anyone? :ponder:

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Gold Spouce coins

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

I know the mintages are low but the demand isn't high for the Spouse coins. Plus, the mint over-prices these coins. If you want to invest in gold I would check into other options. You can find gold for a little over current spot and that seems to be the best method for buying.

Another option is buying low grade, cleaned or damaged US Gold coins but you must buy from a reputable dealer.

jpeter
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by jpeter »

Yes the mint over prices EVERYTHING! You think old gold coins, that are damaged or cleaned would be better. A better price? What gold coins in particular do you think? Thanks for the input!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

It's up to your budget. You buy the most common (highest mintage dates and mints), and any denomination from $2.50-$20.00, and search for damaged examples to buy for a discount.

I would look for obvious scratches, holes, repaired holes and heavily dinged coins. Often, you will get the same amount of silver but for a discounted price compared to the more attractive and problem free coins.

jpeter
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by jpeter »

But if you are buying sort of junk coins at a discount, wont they always be worth less because of thier condition?

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by Maineman750 »

Yes, I agree with Daniel if you are looking to invest in gold more for the bullion value
Roger

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

jpeter wrote:But if you are buying sort of junk coins at a discount, wont they always be worth less because of thier condition?
Yes they will. However, if gold continues to rise then so do the "junk" coins but unlike the people who paid exstravagent prices for the best looking coins, you were frugal and was able to buy more gold thus you earned more money on your investment.

If you paid $1,000 for 5 cleaned and bent gold coins and I pay $1,000 for one MS coin. Who has the most gold? It's a known fact that the higher gold rises the more desirable the junk gold coins become and less for the higher grade gold coins.

jpeter
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by jpeter »

I see your point. Why do people buy high quality, slabbed old gold coins then?
I just thought low mintages would keep the price high as they would be scarce. Even if the price of gold fell. Which it might. I am looking at a long term investment. 20 + years.
When you say reputable dealer I take it you mean to stay away from Ebay?
-Jerry

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#9 Unread post by Maineman750 »

jpeter, you asked a good question. Actually you are speculating, not investing. And we steered you to the simplest method. If you want to "invest" in high quality,low mintage coins, the first thing you need to do is spend a lot of time learning. Low mintage does not guaranty increased value by itself. Desirability,mintage, and condition all combined are what you would look for to insure a good return on your money.You'll find as many opinions on which coins to "invest" in as there are coins. And yes you can get deals on eBay, but you really need to know your coin and pricing to do so.Even a slab can be counterfeited so that's not a guaranty either.
So that sums up why we recommended bullion,it is simple. Anything else will require quite a bit of effort on your part and if you choose to do so, that's great....just not easy.
Roger

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Daniel »

My point is... if 20 years down the road something dramatic happens to our economy ot nation (I hope not), then rare gold coins will lose their value (I don't see it happening). However, the more gold you have, if something unforseen occures, the better.

If you desire to buy coins, that have the most likely chance of increasing in value, then choose coins with mintages not far from the most rare coins but still don't cost as much. I know of several coins that trade a high premium, but other coins with lower mintages trade for less.

In example, the 1921 Peace Dollar trades for a higher premium then the 1927 Peace Dollars, but the 1927-D and S have a lower mintage total. It could be that more 1921 Peace Dollars were melted and not as available as the 1927's, but one look at ebay doesn't convince me of that. So I chose to buy all 1927 Peace Dollars in all mints.

jpeter
Coining Around

Re: Gold Spouse coins

#11 Unread post by jpeter »

OK, now you both have me rethinking everything. I guess first of all the gold spouse coins would not be a good choice at all. You figure in time those will only be worth thier weight in gold then. Stick with just buying bullion gold. ? OK. Thanks for the input. This is a great site. I have looked at it many times. This is the first time asking anything. I appreciate the advice.
Jerry

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

jpeter wrote:OK, now you both have me rethinking everything. I guess first of all the gold spouse coins would not be a good choice at all. You figure in time those will only be worth thier weight in gold then. Stick with just buying bullion gold. ? OK. Thanks for the input. This is a great site. I have looked at it many times. This is the first time asking anything. I appreciate the advice.
Jerry
If gold continues to rise then the Spouce Coin would earn a return, but nothing like gold coins that you purchased at discounted values. You can visit coin shows and dealers, take a grey sheet and try to get the best deal on 3-5 coins. Most dealers will take something off a small lot of coins.

I am not saying not to buy Spouse Coins but a friend of mine was buying every US Mint release for years. Now he only buys something he really wants because the mint places their production and advertising premium on their releases.

He found it more profitable to buy "after market" mint products like old silver and gold coins. He get's the same weight in gold but pays less.

I hope this does help you but this is just my opinion based in a lot of years of experience, so take it for what it's worth.

jpeter
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by jpeter »

Do you think just buying gold bullion in 1/10, 1/4, 1/2 and or 1 oz. coins or bars straight from like APMEX is a good investment? You can watch the market daily and buy when you think you hit a low. But once again you only have gold boullion and nothing unique like a certain series coin? Nobody is really selling gold coins, whether boullion, bars, or US Mint Eagles (beat up or not)for anything less than the value of gold.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Daniel »

jpeter wrote:Do you think just buying gold bullion in 1/10, 1/4, 1/2 and or 1 oz. coins or bars straight from like APMEX is a good investment? You can watch the market daily and buy when you think you hit a low. But once again you only have gold boullion and nothing unique like a certain series coin? Nobody is really selling gold coins, whether boullion, bars, or US Mint Eagles (beat up or not)for anything less than the value of gold.
I haven't looked at APEX lately but I would look for any company or dealer that offers gold as close to spot or their cost as possible. I have looked into silver and gold pools at KITCO but I didn't jump in. I would have tripled my money if I had jumped in :mad:

I am not telling you to jump into anything but experts are predicting gold to rise even more.

Anytime you can buy a gold coin for spot you're doing good because gold eagles can fetch above spot. I have sold a few gold coins last year and all of them sold a bit above spot.

I do want to add, and you might know this already, but we need to realize that US Gold coinage is only .900 gold but bullion is .999. I do think Gold Eagles are a good buy from the mint, but I always suggest buying the lower grade US Gold coins as well.

You're on the right track to developing your own strategy and we all have are own, right or wrong. I think the best advice is to be cautious and never buy any coin out of haste, hype or trying to bid someone out of the deal. I think you will do fine because you listen well and ask questions.