Old Coin found while sweeping

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Chris1965
Coining Around

Old Coin found while sweeping

#1 Unread post by Chris1965 »

Hello , I hope all is well . My son in law , was sweeping snow off his side walk .
He got in the dirt a little and this old coin popped up . I have no idea what it is , tried to search on Ebay , and nothing came up.
I would appreciate some help to finding out something about what this may be.
Hope the pictures are large enough .
He asked me about it and I tried , told him I know of some people who know their stuff and can completely trust.
Thanks , Chris Wynn
Attachments
thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail (2.jpg

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Old Coin found while sweeping

#2 Unread post by Earle42 »

While I am by no means an expert on ancients, this looks very much like a replica to me. A lot of ancients are duplicated and sold as tourist items. If we cannot help you here, there are some guys over at coincommunity.com who I have yet to be stumped in ID'ing ancients in the 10 years I have been on that site. I do beleive they will tel you its a replica and tell you what it is a replica of :)
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Hey C, Spanish Reale. Now whether that Reale is Real, that is another story. If it is real, well to find it on the street it was probably stolen because most people do not walk around with this sort of thing as pocket change. Do what Earl says. But I think it is probably a replica.

Attachments
Its a fake.png
Its a fake.png (89.07 KiB) Viewed 7795 times
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#4 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

I think one term is " Fantasy Coin " . I have a Pirates Coin from Florida an coins from Ireland and Spain from their gift shops , all made of probably " pot metal " .
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

I saw this over on CCF and saw they agreed. :)
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

AlexCaffe
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by AlexCaffe »

You are experienced people, tell me, please, how, besides scanning a coin, to find out its meanness and age? Due to the nature of my job, I have a handheld XRF analyzer that I bought over a year ago by click it this link. Thanks to its capabilities, I can find out the composition of the coin and check via the Internet if the composition of my coin differs from the composition of the original. I am still amazed at what this thing is capable of. Sorry to be distracted. So I've been collecting coins since childhood. It's like a weekend hobby. I keep only coins in my collection that I like more than others. Some kind of dent, a drop, a piece is broken off, these coins remain with me. But recently I came across a really interesting coin and I decided to become a more serious collector. I am asking you to help me. It's easy for you to talk about each coin, but I’m just getting started. Dear colleagues, tell me how else you can find out the original coin or not? How to determine the age of a coin?

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Earle42 »

When it comes to identifying fake vs. ancient cons, there is no ONE best answer b/c not all are made the same way and from the same metals.

Tons of these were/are made for tourists in other countries.

On yours, I thought it a fake immediately b/c I am used to handling/knowing attributes of fake coins. What specifically stood out on yours was what the pictures appear to show as typical pitting on the surfaces...indicative of a cast coin. Also the details/devices are too non-defined/rounded/"mushy"(not the mushiness from being worn down or flattened).

Spend some time online looking closely at certified ancient coins. You can also search for pictures of replicas and view the pictures side by side.

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#8 Unread post by Coin Mule »

AlexCaffe wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:06 pm You are experienced people, tell me, please, how, besides scanning a coin, to find out its meanness and age? Due to the nature of my job, I have a handheld XRF analyzer that I bought over a year ago by click it this link. Thanks to its capabilities, I can find out the composition of the coin and check via the Internet if the composition of my coin differs from the composition of the original. ?
You know, Paul asked me about a desktop S.E.M., you guys should get together and have a scanfest, with beer and pretzels, und Brátwurst, und Spätzle, und Blaukraut, und.........

Ooops sorry slipped back to Bavaria. Anyway as far as Ancient Coins are concerned, dude it is tough. Back in the day when Mel Fisher discovered the Atocha, and then settled with Spain and the US, and whoever else had their hand out, suddenly there were tons of "Atocha" coins all over the place, I knew someone who bought one, and "it's a fake". So in reality, if you are buying these, the only way to do so is slabbed, or if raw, to really know the dealer.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]