Moghal Emperor Mohamed Shah Gold Coin (1731?)

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Moghal Emperor Mohamed Shah Gold Coin (1731?)

#1 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

My Sister brought some coins back in April from her Mom's estate in NH. Most were modern but then there was this "anomaly" and thought I would share.
Luckily there was a label inside an old PVC flip (which I changed out of course.)
Information on the flip says:

India 1731 AD Mohur
Mogul Empror
Mohamed Shah
1719-1748 AD
12th Year of reign
Mint; Dar Al Khsan (Old Dehli)
Back of Label has "7-31-93 Soogasatarpanch (?)" Note: "h" may be a "k" (May have been the person it was purchased from in '93?)

From prior limited research I think it is KM# 439.4
Weight is 10.9g and diameter is 20mm and +-2.5 mm thick. (about as thick as a modern nickel.)

My first thought with all the Chinese fakes out there was "No way" especially seeing how nice a grade it is and comparing it to this link at NGC

India Gold coin KM#439.4 LINK .

It is not an exact match to the images on the NGC site. She is considering selling and I will get her to slab it first. I'm just not sure what something like this might cost. Any ideas on the cost to slab and and whether this is genuine?
KIMG1666.JPG
KIMG1667.JPG
KIMG1661.JPG
KIMG1661.JPG (54.85 KiB) Viewed 3659 times
KIMG1665.JPG

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Moghal Emperor Mohamed Shah Gold Coin (1731?)

#2 Unread post by mhonzell »

Here is your coin on PCGS, which sold for $646 in MS-63 in 2016. Probably not worth encapsulating. (See below)
Mohur KM-439.4
(Kind of funny, they list it as AH1142/12. But the date on the coin is AH1131/12.)

You are comparing it to a 1st year coin on NGC. This is a 12th year of reign coin. (1st picture, bottom center are the symbols for '12'. Of course, lunar hejira calendar, making this 1730-31, depending on actual month of reign.) Each year has small differences and the amount of wear comes into play.
Comparing, I think this is Dar-ul-Khilafat (not Dar-al-Khasan), which was the capital of the Mughal empire. Shahjahanabad is the mint.

What you also may not understand is how these coins were designed.
All the information about the coin is written out and then a circle is drawn over the information, which cuts off some of the text. This is not the text on your coin, but you can see how the mint mark and city are "cut off".
Top row obverse is the ruler's name.
Second row, obverse has the hejira date 113x. (Last digit cut off.) Probably 1131, which is 1719... the start of his reign.
The year of reign on your coin is on the third row, in center, on the reverse.

The coin is considered common. Weight 10.9g gold. Same coin from Itawa mint sold for 49,000 rupees in 2014, raw. ($691) I believe it was in a bit better condition.
Attachments
IMG_6306Rw-1.jpg
IMG_6306Rw-1.jpg (15.57 KiB) Viewed 3651 times
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

mhonzell wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:05 pm Here is your coin on PCGS, which sold for $646 in MS-63 in 2016. Probably not worth encapsulating. (See below)
Mohur KM-439.4
(Kind of funny, they list it as AH1142/12. But the date on the coin is AH1131/12.)

You are comparing it to a 1st year coin on NGC. This is a 12th year of reign coin. (1st picture, bottom center are the symbols for '12'. Of course, lunar hejira calendar, making this 1730-31, depending on actual month of reign.) Each year has small differences and the amount of wear comes into play.
Comparing, I think this is Dar-ul-Khilafat (not Dar-al-Khasan), which was the capital of the Mughal empire. Shahjahanabad is the mint.

What you also may not understand is how these coins were designed.
All the information about the coin is written out and then a circle is drawn over the information, which cuts off some of the text. This is not the text on your coin, but you can see how the mint mark and city are "cut off".
Top row obverse is the ruler's name.
Second row, obverse has the hejira date 113x. (Last digit cut off.) Probably 1131, which is 1719... the start of his reign.
The year of reign on your coin is on the third row, in center, on the reverse.

The coin is considered common. Weight 10.9g gold. Same coin from Itawa mint sold for 49,000 rupees in 2014, raw. ($691) I believe it was in a bit better condition.
Mark, your depth of knowledge and ability to discern different information on a foreign/ancient coin is nothing short of amazing.
(And don't try to tell us you just have good bookmarks on your computer! lol: )
Thanks once again for the help. I'll be able to let my sister decide about slabbing, but for +-$60 it puts buyers mind at ease about real versus Chinese fake! Heritage had an MS63 NGC sell for north of $900 in 2017 (?)
I find it baffling that any coin just shy of 300 years old is still in such good shape, even if it is only AU.
Cliff
ps. Added- the description of how the coin is layed out with letters/numbers missing is very helpful. Plus being able to discern obv. from the rev. from your description is great.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by mhonzell »

Glad I could help!
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins