New pickup: Denarius of Faustina the Younger

Post, ask questions and discuss World and Ancient Coin topics.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Gam3rBlake
Coin Collector

New pickup: Denarius of Faustina the Younger

#1 Unread post by Gam3rBlake »

I really like this denarius of Faustina the Younger (minted under Marcus Aurelius) because it has baby Commodus on the reverse along with his brother Marcus Antoninus (who died when Commodus was 3-4 years old).

Imagine if he had lived. Commodus would never have become Emperor and, if Marcus Antoninus was anything like his father Marcus Aurelius, Rome might have continued its Golden Age rather than (as Cassius Dio said) transformed from an Empire of gold into one of rust and iron.

Also the reverse says: “SAECULI FELICIT” which means “An Age of Happiness” but we all know Commodus’ reign as Emperor was anything but an Age of Happiness and was the beginning of the Fall of the Roman Empire.
FBE49ED6-36FE-4265-9069-B2EBF199643A.jpeg
B632A42A-F3D2-4A03-8DAD-7FA3047E3739.jpeg
79A5410D-67A1-4789-93A6-AA1F87CBA546.jpeg
E5D23D2A-AFE4-4DF8-946F-481BD240DF30.jpeg

Faustina Junior (AD 147-175/6). AR denarius (18mm, 3.29 gm, 7h). NGC Choice AU 5/5 - 5/5. Rome, AD 147-175. FAVSTINA-AVGVSTA, draped bust of Faustina Junior right, seen from front, wearing stephane, hair brushed in waves and tucked in small chignon at base of head / SAECVLI FELICIT, pulvinar facing with Commodus and Antoninus, as young children, seated facing each other. RIC III (Marcus Aurelius) 712.
Last edited by Gam3rBlake on Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
PCGS Member
NGC Member

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New pickup: Denarius of Faustina the Younger

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Nice coin.

Gam3rBlake
Coin Collector

#3 Unread post by Gam3rBlake »

Daniel wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:54 pmNice coin.
Thanks Daniel :)
PCGS Member
NGC Member

Triple C
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by Triple C »

Beautiful looking! 👍

Gam3rBlake
Coin Collector

#5 Unread post by Gam3rBlake »

Triple C wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:23 am Beautiful looking! 👍
Thanks! Been looking for this type of Faustina the Younger denarius for a LONG time in good condition. Like 7 months. I’ve seen a lot of Faustina the Younger denarii come up for sale but not this one with this design celebrating her children so I was super excited and had to get it even though I paid a bit over what I was completely comfortable with.
PCGS Member
NGC Member

Triple C
Coin Wizz

#6 Unread post by Triple C »

I would have done the same...😉

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#7 Unread post by Paul »

👍
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

That is one amazing coin. You have to wonder how in the world it remained in such pristine condition for all those years!
Imagine if he had lived. Commodus would never have become Emperor
And Russel Crowe would never have played a gladiator... 😅

Seriously...I know that is s typical modern-society type answer. But truth be told, that movie (finally) got me to act on delving more deeply into Roman history. I loved the artists' rendition of what Rome may have looked like in real life.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Gam3rBlake
Coin Collector

#9 Unread post by Gam3rBlake »

Earle42 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:54 pm That is one amazing coin. You have to wonder how in the world it remained in such pristine condition for all those years!
Imagine if he had lived. Commodus would never have become Emperor
And Russel Crowe would never have played a gladiator... 😅

Seriously...I know that is s typical modern-society type answer. But truth be told, that movie (finally) got me to act on delving more deeply into Roman history. I loved the artists' rendition of what Rome may have looked like in real life.
I know what you mean! I was 11 years old when that movie came out and it influenced my passion and love of Roman history in a huge way. Seeing Ancient Rome come to life like that in front of my eyes was incredible.

Sure it may be laughably inaccurate but it did it’s job in inspiring people to learn the truth.

Believe it or not the even more laughably inaccurate movie 300: Rise of an Empire (the sequel to the first one about Sparta and Leonidas and his 300 Spartans) inspired me to learn more about Ancient Greece.

Just like The Mummy inspired me as a kid to learn about Ancient Egypt.

Movies that are inaccurate are OK if they inspire people to learn the true history.
PCGS Member
NGC Member