Cleaning Dug Coins

If you metal detect or just hunt for hidden treasures then post your stories and find here. Everyone enjoys a good lost treasure story or news find and they're welcome here as well.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Cleaning Dug Coins

#1 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Here is some great tips for restoring / protecting those dug coins and Metal objects .

(1) Only soak Silver Coins In Palmolive overnight, check , repeat if necessary / rinse . Forget about that Electroplating . It doesn't work well.

2) Copper Coins Soak same as Silver , try not to rub either . Apply Rennaissance Wax /Polish (sold Online ). Remove excess.

I say be careful of any find. You never know what it actually may be.Here is a button that took 2 weeks of soaking plus light brushing with toothbrush ..1834 -1843 circa
100e0180.jpg
100e0180.jpg (231.04 KiB) Viewed 8000 times
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

RVA
Coining Around

Re: Cleaning Dug Coins

#2 Unread post by RVA »

Nice button. Can you post a picture of other examples I am interested to see what a before and after of a copper or silver coin. Would look like once you treat it. Does it looked polished or cleaned?

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

RVA wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:54 am Nice button. Can you post a picture of other examples I am interested to see what a before and after of a copper or silver coin. Would look like once you treat it. Does it looked polished or cleaned?
:welcome:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

BMH
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by BMH »

Finding old copper that doesn't look like they've been in a sandblaster after cleaning them doesn't happen too often and cleaning them can sometimes remove layers and damages them even more. Especially with the late 1700 and early 1800 half cents and large cents. Fatty Indians and 2 cent pieces also have similar issues but not so much with regular Indian cents for some reason. Maybe because of the nickel in the fatties? I only use a toothpick to clean copper coins. You hear people talk about using olive oil and ketchup and various other things but because copper varies doing those things could damage one coin and not harm a different coin and it's not worth the gamble to me. As long as I can identify it and get a date I prefer to leave it alone. Unless it's a rare date or made from precious metal dug coins aren't usually worth much to most collectors anyway.

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#5 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Here's a couple more dug coins ::
Attachments
1847lgobv.jpg
1839pic3.jpg
Member of CONECA

BMH
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by BMH »

SensibleSal66 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:59 am Here's a couple more dug coins ::
The bottom one is a strong example of the sandblasted look after cleaning that I was talking about. The top one is in much better condition but it also shows the same issue on the raised surfaces.

I live on the West Coast and I don't find those beauties here very often but when I do I don't care what condition they're in because I'm just happy that I found it. Saving that history!

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#7 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

all very good points BMH . Thanks . May your dreams be filled with coins . Just my 2 cents for the morning .
Attachments
1864 2C sm motto- Rev.jpg
Member of CONECA