The Honey Hole

If you metal detect or just hunt for hidden treasures then post your stories and find here. Everyone enjoys a good lost treasure story or news find and they're welcome here as well.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
TheCoinGuy
Coin Collector

The Honey Hole

#1 Unread post by TheCoinGuy »

About three years ago, I saw a Bounty Hunter metal detector in Sam's Club for $99. It was no frills, but did come with a pair of headphones. After digging up my yard, I did manage to find one small silver ring. Needless to say, I was hooked. My neighbor came over and told me of a place to detect he had just found. I said count me in. We got there, and it was an old school with about 3 1/2 acres of grounds. They were going to build a city Rec Center, and had started scraping the grade. The foreman gave us permission, he said just stay behind us as we finish in sections and fill your holes. We said ok.
We started digging in, it turned out the area had a Civil War encampment on it that predated the old high school. There must have been some kind of delay in the new construction, because we ended up spending about a total of 10 or 12 weeks there. We'd finish the whole area and start all over again. It was that good. I know we must have found over one hundred dollars face value of silver coins alone. Maybe it was the soil, but they seemed to be in the same condition as if they were dropped the day before. When they were dropped they were not known to be that valuable, and in some cases rare. Now I'm operating from memory, but I do remember personally finding a 1927-S Standing Liberty, and a 1921-D Mercury among them. Of course we found Wheatbacks, Indian Head cents, buffaloes, etc. Included in the silver, were 3 or 4 Liberty Walkers, many Barber dimes and quarters. From the Civil War era we found three ringers, buttons, tokens, part of a gun, toys, tools, etc. Our aprons were full. I personally found an antique sterling silver lady's bracelet, a large sterling spoon, two large 14K earrings clipped together, a 1959 gold class ring, and 5 or six other antique rings, not to mention the modern coinage (it was like grocery money). I'm sure there's much I've forgotten from the Honey Hole, but I'll never forget my very best find to date, a man's size nine and a half, 18K gold ring with five diamonds on it. I had it appraised, the diamonds equated to 1/10 carrot, and it's valued at 13 to 14 hundred dollars. I near about fell over when I found it about 5" down. Thank goodness I didn't hit it with the shovel. The pictures are as follows, they show tiny scratches that are invisible to the naked eye, and for some reason, they don't show the gleam of the diamonds.
DSCN8195.JPG
DSCN8191.JPG
DSCN8198.JPG
DSCN2095.JPG

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Honey Hole

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Thanks for sharing. Wonderful story! I have found 14kt necklace before and more coins than I can count but this was a mother load.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#3 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Man o man that's a gorgeous ring. Congratulations on that "honey Hole".
I have a similar "high quality" detector but have found didley. Of course I need to go more often that once every two years!! widegrin I live on the treasure coast of Florida and swear the Spanish ships that sank here must have been carrying nothing but pull tabs in their holds, because that is all I have ever found!!!!! lol:

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

LOL Cliff!!

TheCoinGuy
Coin Collector

#5 Unread post by TheCoinGuy »

Yes Daniel it was sweeet, some of the luckiest weeks of my life. Nice find on the necklace.
Thanks Cliff, yeah pull tabs are tough, if you discriminate them out you lose small gold. Just a hazard of the hobby I guess. Florida does have a lot of history. Other than what the storms bring in, I bet the beaches are pretty clean now. I think you'd probably do better at a construction site or at least inland somewhere. I'd be surprised if you get rich, bur It's not hard to do better than didley if you go a little more often. It's fun.
Thanks all.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

TheCoinGuy wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:47 pm Yes Daniel it was sweeet, some of the luckiest weeks of my life. Nice find on the necklace.
Thanks Cliff, yeah pull tabs are tough, if you discriminate them out you lose small gold. Just a hazard of the hobby I guess. Florida does have a lot of history. Other than what the storms bring in, I bet the beaches are pretty clean now. I think you'd probably do better at a construction site or at least inland somewhere. I'd be surprised if you get rich, bur It's not hard to do better than didley if you go a little more often. It's fun.
Thanks all.
A number of guys detect at local public beaches because they find modern jewelry that has become lost due to suntan lotion and such.
Yea, metal detecting is fun. This is prime salvage season for those people diving their off shore leases (as close as 100-200 ft. from shore). Salvage season kind of coincides with nice weather up north.

TheCoinGuy
Coin Collector

#7 Unread post by TheCoinGuy »

Yes, good point! What was I thinking? Fertile ground for nice jewelry indeed. :agree:

aunty
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by aunty »

I don't think there is a word to describe the "drool" factor for treasure hunting when hearing a story like this.[/font]

jimgrains51
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by jimgrains51 »

Thats one beautiful find. Im actually pondering about the history of the ring. How did it get there? It mustve been worn by someone well off. Treasures are a lot easier to find if you have the best gear. If youre looking to upgrade youre metal detector, Id suggest you visit this website.
Last edited by jimgrains51 on Mon May 11, 2020 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#10 Unread post by Paul »

:thumbsup:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep