Jefferson D Bison Nickel possible "spear"??

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
rowdyone
Coining Around

Jefferson D Bison Nickel possible "spear"??

#1 Unread post by rowdyone »

I recently went through several unopened rolls of Jefferson D Bison Nickels that I had purchased when they first came out. I came across three nickels with a possible spear die crack in them, but I'm not an expert and can't really tell. I know they weren't the full spears that I've seen in many pictures that seemed to go all the way through the Buffalo, but it just appeared as something sticking up at the top of the Buffalo in the three that I had. I got as good a pictures as I could of the "spear" to see what is thought in the community....if it is something that can't be determined, I can try and get clearer pictures later, just let me know what you think. Thanks....One of them is between the A and T is States, and the other two are coming in below the E, the last one is a little more faint than the first two, but I took the best picture I could....thanks again.
Attachments
20211015_172832.jpg
20211015_172848.jpg
20211015_172903.jpg
20211015_172924.jpg
20211015_172925.jpg
Last edited by rowdyone on Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Jefferson D Bison Nickel possible "spear"??

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

You need to take the coin out of the holder. We need better images.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

Welcome

Keep in mind that the "Spear" you are thinking of… Is NOT a die crack.
I'm unable to see much with the images you have posted
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

rowdyone
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by rowdyone »

I tried to get better pictures to see what I was talking about.....hopefully they are clearer, definitely out of the holders, and tried to get a little more detail too. Thanks again.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

If these marks are raised on the surface, they are a die crack. I believe the original speared Buffalo was a die gouge.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?