1997 D Dime

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Thekennyist
Coining Around

1997 D Dime

#1 Unread post by Thekennyist »

Please look behind his ear. And look at the mint mark are these going to be many tears. And thanks to everybody who helped me out with the counter stamp didn't know what that was but now I do..
Attachments
mir_20210730_202008.jpg
mir_20210730_201940.jpg
mir_20210730_201648.jpg
mir_20210730_201913.jpg
mir_20210730_201556.jpg
mir_20210730_201535.jpg
mir_20210730_201439.jpg
mir_20210730_201317.jpg

Thekennyist
Coining Around

Re: 1997 D Dime

#2 Unread post by Thekennyist »

Please look behind his ear is that what they call a double ear please look at the mint mark is that what they call a mint error. Thanks to everybody who helped me out with the counterstamp I didn't know now I do

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

#3 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

The doubling of the ear refers to the Lincoln cent only . 1997 among other years . Here's a brief chart .
You have to click the Pic to enlarge it
Attachments
2020-lincoln-shield-cent-vert.jpg
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

Save Yourself time, effort, and disappointment...don’t learn the coin hobby backwards. 😊

Looking for random anomalies on coins and hoping they match up to something collectable will take you a lot more time, wasted effort, and disappointment repeatedly finding out you have nothing but post mint damage.

Spend some initial time at places like error-ref.com, doubleddie.com, varietyvista.com, conecaonline.org, coppercoins.com etc. to find what actual and collectable coin errors look like.

A good way to start is, for instance, separate a bunch of pennies by date. Go to varietyvista.com and, date by date, use the reference there to see what errors are known for that specific coin/mint mark. Look for those specific errors/varieties using the pictures provided. After doing this for awhile you will KNOW what an actual error looks like and not have to waste time on face value and damaged coins.

😊
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#5 Unread post by DSCoins »

I agree with Earl42. You should Restrict yourself to searching know varieties and error. You should also study ERROR-REF as they say, up oneside and down the other; you can never study too much. You really need to read until there is no dought in you mind that when you see something on your coin(s) you will know what it is. Everyone who is new to searching coins, be they cents, nickels, dimes, E.T.C... Starts off thinking they have found something only to be told after they post it, that it is nothing. I even started out like that. If you listen to what they are saying to you and put it into practise you will start making large steps into what is what.
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

I agree with earle and DSCoins. All this on your coin is normal and commonly found.

Thekennyist
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by Thekennyist »

Thank you .. U ppl r awsome

Thekennyist
Coining Around

#8 Unread post by Thekennyist »

BUT.. there is all kinds of Discovery coins out there Discovery mint error coins. I even have a penny tore a piece of plastic fell in there and it's messed it onto the face of the Lincoln. Much like the one with the staple and the piece of cloth. Now don't have a computer at home and I am new to coin hunting but I'm under the impression if I discovered this bent are going to be on any website.. now I looked in searched for the bicentennial 1976 counterstamp I have okay but I couldn't find nothing

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Earle42 »

Thekennyist wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:40 am BUT.. there is all kinds of Discovery coins out there Discovery mint error coins. I even have a penny tore a piece of plastic fell in there and it's messed it onto the face of the Lincoln. Much like the one with the staple and the piece of cloth. Now don't have a computer at home and I am new to coin hunting but I'm under the impression if I discovered this bent are going to be on any website.. now I looked in searched for the bicentennial 1976 counterstamp I have okay but I couldn't find nothing
The term "discovery coin" is typically used for errors that happen identically to multiple coins. It will be the first discovered of multiple coins found with that same exact error.

A struck through debris coin is not a "discovery coin" since its a one time event..the coin is unique and there will not be others exactly like that one coin. What you mention about the staple was a one time error event. One time events, as you suggest, obviously are not documented.

An error that occurs identically more than once is caused not by a random event, but by, for example, the dies being engraved with a multiple image (doubled die). Every coin made with that die will have the identical doubling error. It is these multiple event types of mint errors that are pretty much all documented b/c there have been, and are still, so very many collectors over so many years looking for this type of error and reporting them.

Every year as the new coins come out into circulation, there are a LOT of people checking them for new "discovery" coins.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?