1976 bicentennial Ike no S mint mark

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Kevlar88
Coining Around

1976 bicentennial Ike no S mint mark

#1 Unread post by Kevlar88 »

Hello all ..

i am wondering all's impute on what i found in my collection read a article on it then went to check if i truly had it and yet behold i found a 1976 bicentennial Ike No S mint mark, proof in original package and have the correct version of it as well i can put right beside it still in original package from the mint as well. Wondering to ideas if i should get it graded and if yes by who as i am a PCGS plat member, and also any ideas if it is accurate and correct and last if you would do a auction house or a private dealer perhaps.

First 5 images are the rare no s and last group will be the correct one that is not so rare that have the s.
Attachments
IMG-8157.jpg
IMG-8159.jpg
IMG-8160.jpg
IMG-8163.jpg
IMG-8167.jpg
IMG-8168.jpg
IMG-8169.jpg
IMG-8170.jpg
IMG-8171.jpg
IMG-8172.jpg

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: 1976 bicentennial Ike no S mint mark

#2 Unread post by Paul »

Welcome,

I can't see anything in these pictures
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#3 Unread post by DSCoins »

Paul wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:54 am Welcome,

I can't see anything in these pictures
I agree with Paul, How many different coins are you posting?
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

Please do only post one coin per topic.

We ask this so the person posting is not confused about which coin our answers refer to.

Also, although you posted the proof S-Ike pics for comparison, please do nto post comparison coins like this as:
1. We do not need to see them as we are familiar with normal coins.
2. It then confuses us sometimes and also does what was mentioned above.

However...
The no-P Ike in the first pic is not a proof coin (please look up the definition of a proof coin so you will know). The one key giveaway to this is the no-P Ike has no mirror surface like the S-Ike you posted after the first coin.

Philadelphia coins were not given a mint mark back then.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Kevlar88
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by Kevlar88 »

Ok so obviously you can see a S mint mark on four of the pictures just like I stated I thought hmmm. And two I also stated that the last four are what the coin should be and the first half .aka. The first six. Are the pictures from 1976 bicentennial No S. Mint mark in the package with the original green for San Francisco and how it all looks correct and weighs correct but is in original package from the mint but no S then obviously you see.So What Do You Mean Can’t See anything . ARE YOU JUST TRYING TO BE A TROLL OR are you just naturally a Richard?

Kevlar88
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by Kevlar88 »

Enjoy your site. And post this is hilarious

Mrweaseluv
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by Mrweaseluv »

1st, the blue bar says it's a mint set... not a proof set Light blue for San Francisco, red for Denver, dark blue for philly.. the 76 proof sets came in a slab like plastic holder... not cellos... So while you may have an no "s" Ike it is NOT a proof. It is a rarer Type 1 and does appear to lack the s... I don't knowif that is a known varity... might be even be a discovery coin :D
You may soar with the eagles, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

First...my mistake...neither of the coins you have pictures of are proofs. Sorry for that bit of misinformation. I saw the S on the last one and forgot about:
1. They made uncirculated S mint Ikes
2. I somehow missed it was in the plastic cello instead of the proof plastic holder...and I own both!
i feel sheepish.jpg
i feel sheepish.jpg (24.14 KiB) Viewed 1076 times
I am even more embarrassed as Kennedys and Ikes are two of the non-classic sets I specialize in/study/etc.!

Summary:
1st coin - Philly, never would have had a mint mark, normal mint set Ike.
2nd coin - San Fransisco, s mint mark, cello shows its a mint set and not a proof Ike.

Proof after next section showing where I agree and disagree:
Mrweaseluv wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:03 pm 1st, the blue bar says it's a mint set... not a proof set Light blue for San Francisco, red for Denver, dark blue for philly.. the 76 proof sets came in a slab like plastic holder... not cellos... So while you may have an no "s" Ike it is NOT a proof. It is a rarer Type 1 and does appear to lack the s... I don't knowif that is a known varity... might be even be a discovery coin :D
Agreed:
- blue and mint set -not a proof set.
- proof sets came in hard plastic holder

Disagree:
So while you may have an no "s" Ike it is NOT a proof. It is a rarer Type 1 and does appear to lack the s.
The one with no mint mark (Philadelphia issue) is a type 2, however I agree the S-mint one is a Type I. Compare the Rs. All type I Ikes for 1976 have straight legged R's used int heir font such as the one shown below in the word DOLLAR (look at the one in AMERICA as well):
1976_Type_I_Defined_opt.jpg
Next:
Here is a picture of a Philadelphia Ike MINT set from 1976. Note the plastic color as well as the current eBay number so you can see the listing for yourself (just type the number into the eBay search bar). A search for Philadelphia 1976 mint set will bring up more examples:
1976 Philly Mint Set In OGP
1976 Philly Mint Set In OGP
Here is a pic (etc.) of a 1976 PROOF set (mirror finish - unlike the mint sets):
1976 S Proof set
1976 S Proof set
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Mrweaseluv
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by Mrweaseluv »

@Earle42 Yup yup I have to agree 1 is a type 1 and the other a type 2.. not really sure which is which from the pics lol
You may soar with the eagles, but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

Kevlar88
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by Kevlar88 »

The one with no mint mark is in the plastic original package witch is green if you can’t see. And has no mint mark. Please look carefully befor commenting

Kevlar88
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by Kevlar88 »

So just to be clear here are better pictures of the two different sets of coins. For you Admins and pros and Specialty people that still can’t see or give out atleast half semi information I’ll help . So think befor you post people rely on you guys and admins help when we get wrong info and just complete utter crap from you all we now have to go back and look at all info you have given anyone . This is not for drama this is to help others having my issues
Can you see now how wrong you are now
20202A1B-BE22-46E1-8B84-A6F145FDA871.jpeg
Green/ teal=SanFran, navy blue=philly, and
Green/ teal=SanFran, navy blue=philly, and
Red =Denver , white =special,silver sets witch are mad in San Francisco as you see lol
Red =Denver , white =special,silver sets witch are mad in San Francisco as you see lol
37814A75-E3BE-49E7-A997-BB759922916E.jpeg
20202A1B-BE22-46E1-8B84-A6F145FDA871.jpeg
2F485B44-26D2-470D-8C05-C8663DA068C3.jpeg
CFE5E9D5-6A89-4FD3-9BCF-2EE8761DF721.jpeg
2C4565B5-4F70-43CD-ADCD-D3F8050654A5.jpeg
B426A9B7-08D4-4161-9F7E-3A5DDD253266.jpeg
AEDB3E2B-F794-43D1-A4CF-4594B4216B0E.jpeg

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#12 Unread post by DSCoins »

For the record forum rules state you are to only post one coin per topic. Not 10 photos of multiple coins.
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by Daniel »

Sorry but with of an attitude and complete disregard for forum rules you're always going to have trouble getting help. Instead of ranting just post one coin with a question and let us do our jobs. By the way we do this for free and in our spare time.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Daniel »

Kevlar88 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 4:28 pm The one with no mint mark is in the plastic original package witch is green if you can’t see. And has no mint mark. Please look carefully befor commenting
Stop taking to forum members like this. Your coin IS NOT a proof so it supposed to NOT have a mint mark, so your coin is NORMAL.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Unread post by Daniel »

Your set IS NOT a proof set. Your set is a mint set with non-proof coins.

The Philadelphia Mint didn't put a mint mark on some of these and each set contains a no mint mark Eisenhower because it's normal. Since it's not a proof then it's not a rare no S proof coin.
Here's a proof set and it must be in one of these not your cello you're showing.
Attachments
1976-s-proof-set.png

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by Daniel »

This is what we get for helping this person.

Furthermore, if there's no mint mark, business strikes in the San Francisco mint cello it's an after mint packing error and is not valuable or special. Just a packing error.
Attachments
kevin.png

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by Daniel »

Furthermore, if there's no mint mark, business strikes in the San Francisco mint cello it's an after mint packing error and is not valuable or special. Just a packing error.