Peace Dollar Question

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
wilkinsp21
Coin Wizz

Peace Dollar Question

#1 Unread post by wilkinsp21 »

So I went to get my Peace Dollar set looked at
this is the set I have that is from 70's from my grandfather with the PVC plastic holder book, all the plastic is stuck to the coins and I have no way to remove them
they looked at the complete set 1921-1935 24-Coins and offered me $32.00 a coin, $736.00 for the set
said there was damage to all coins but the key dates 1921, 1928 where the worst of the set with scraches etc

I don't think the set is that badly damaged, and understand hard to see/advise from picture but I would think the set would be worth more?
Attachments
2020-08-15 10.06.23.jpg
Thank you,
Patrick

silverbul

Re: Peace Dollar Question

#2 Unread post by silverbul »

i would not say ripoff but look at the price of cull peace dollars on ebay. i'll give you 50 a coin. i think you should take all coins out of that, those holders, carefully and see what you really have. if you have a really nice 1934 s, that alone would be what you were offered but wait for more info from somebody else on here that will give you better advise that know more than me. don't rush and regret it later.

silverbul

#3 Unread post by silverbul »

let's see your 1934s. excited. lol

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

I am a coin dealer with a brick and mortar store. I deal with this all the time and 95% of the time I can restore these coins. I can also properly appraise your collection.
You can post more images here or you can send me an email or even call my shop. You got to watch across the board offers. Each Peace Dollar CAN be worth something different based on the mint mark and grade. The guys above are correct a 34 S in MS is worth huge bucks and AU58 isn't too shabby, but problems coins do present a problem, but I can't see them well enough here.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

Definitely take Daniel up on this. An acroos the board offer in this case is not something I would personally go for either. As Daniel has said, the coins in these old PVC holders are easily restored most of the time (ask me how I know LOL!).
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

silverbul

#6 Unread post by silverbul »

Earle42 i'll bite. HOW DO YOU KNOW. lol

wilkinsp21
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by wilkinsp21 »

yeah I have worked with Daniel before and he is very great/awesome
This time I needed the money a little quicker and sold them, so I do not have a second page
I justified it by saying it was PVC damage and sratched, but now I think i just got riped off, either way too late now

I have a complete set (all but the 1928) and that coin I have found a BU for $500, when I get back on feet I will get that, I owe to my grandfather to replace this set
Thank you,
Patrick

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

Earle42 i'll bite. HOW DO YOU KNOW. lol
Get a Pepsi, sit back, relax....
Once upon a time in the 70s there was a kid who loved to collect coins. He had two advantages. The first was his Grandfather had laundromats...can we say, "ultimate weekly coin searching opportunity?" The other advantage was one of his favorite teachers, his science teacher, owned a coin shop as a hobby.

Then one day the Hunt Brothers decided to corner the silver market and the boy's teacher was making way too much money on his hobby to keep teaching. So the boy also was invited to come to the shop and help out on Saturdays.

Being in the successful coin shop meant having access to the latest and newest coin hobby paraphernalia. The boy bought a bunch of the new and improved coin albums that look exactly like the album holding the Peace Dollars in the original post.

No more uncirculated coins sitting in cardboard holes and toning from it! No more loss of luster over time! YES!

So everything went into the these newfangled, and kind of pricey albums. The now teen boy knew his precious coins were the safest they could be since they were stored in these amazing double plastic holder (cool looking too) albums.

College...job...marriage...kids...oh yeah...I used to collect coins.

Time to unpack those those little gems after all these years. Man what good memeories...this...will...
slimer-300x300.jpg
slimer-300x300.jpg (15.9 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
Those (I think they were Franklin brand?) albums must have been invented by that guy.

Do you know how long it takes to unpack an album's worth of slimy green coins from these double protective album and then give each slimy green circle a thorough acetone soak? So where do I put them now? Well, of course...2X2s...one...per...coin...staple, staple,staple,staple...

OK - cents done, now only the Jefferson nickels, Mercury & Roosevelt dimes, Washington quarters and Franklin & Kennedy half dollars to go. After that the Canadian cents, nickels, dimes, and quarters need it also.

And despite what I thought was safe packing, the Whitman folders yielded less than satisfactory results as well with the secondary sets. I hate cardboard touching coins. For awhile I quit collecting anything with luster so I didn't have to be reminded.

Now 2X2s, Air-Tites, and Encap album pages have become a friend.

And the coins lived happily ever after...we hope.

The End
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

Some of you don't realize that some of us have been in this all out lives and have chemistry knowledge, we're not just people who like coins posting in a forum. I live it, breath it and sleep this and when I say sleep this, that is what I mean. It is a way of life for me.