First Gold Coin Purchase, Is It Cleaned?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Daikon Panic
Coining Around

First Gold Coin Purchase, Is It Cleaned?

#1 Unread post by Daikon Panic »

Hi all, I bought my first gold coin. It arrived today and I like it but I'm having trouble deciding if it is cleaned. There isn't much cartwheeling effect except around the edge of the coin. I'd like to send it off to be graded but don't want to end up with a "problem coin".

Thank you.
Attachments
2021-07-08_12-53-31.jpg
2021-07-08_12-53-45.jpg
2021-07-08_12-53-55.jpg
2021-07-08_12-54-07.jpg

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: First Gold Coin Purchase, Is It Cleaned?

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

It's hard to tell from a few Pics . However, I see some streaky lines on the reverse which lead me to think, Cleaned . The Obverse looks grainy .
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Triple C
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by Triple C »

Congratulations on your first gold coin...Nice buy!
I agree with SensibleSal66 about determining if your coin has been cleaned at some point, based on pictures posted. However, unless you are planning to return the coin you already have it in hand, problem coin or not. We all have different reasons for submitting to a grading party not sure what is yours. If yours is to determine if it is cleaned, I would recommend you take it to your LCS first for a first hand opnion.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

This coin has been cleaned and I hope you purchased this from a reputable dealer. I am not trying to scare you but there's a lot of fakes out there. Send it off would at least tell you if it was authentic.

Daikon Panic
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by Daikon Panic »

Thank you Daniel and everyone else for your opinion. I'm returning the coin, I need to be more careful.

I guess the pictures on the eBay listing were too good to be true! Should probably just buy pre-1933 gold that has already been graded, but the premiums are just so high sometimes! Live and learn.

italycoins
Coin Collector

#6 Unread post by italycoins »

I think the color difference is due to a different exposure of the light to the photo camera and also used a different angle. Byeee

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

italycoins wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:44 pm I think the color difference is due to a different exposure of the light to the photo camera and also used a different angle. Byeee
I am 100% certain the coin has been cleaned. I would stake my reputation on this coin being cleaned.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Earle42 »

I agree totally with Daniel about this one being cleaned. My very first thought was the lifelessness of it.
Should probably just buy pre-1933 gold that has already been graded, but the premiums are just so high sometimes!
This is a smart idea when starting out. But just remember that trusted dealers can be a good source as well without needing to be slabbed. I know this guy named Daniel.....😄

Seriously though. Never get the idea that the companies have some sort of magic and superhuman abilities with coins. They DO have a lot of practice, but they also make a lot of mistakes as well. What saves thme is they ave a huge market base that believes the companies are THE experts and undeniably cannot, and should not, be questioned. Some are willing to fight tooth and nail for the company "reputations."

This is NOT a slam on the companies. It is saying make sure you have a real understanding of what and who they are. Also realize their level of skill is very obtainable by anyone who loves the hobby and enjoys learning.

And no...I am NOT saying I have their skills in some areas. Such as I have never looked into grading Buffalo nickels, V-nickels, large cents, and many other coin varieties which I have not specifically collected. They handle more of those than I have ever had the chance to, and therefore they have a much better idea of grading these.

However, once a person starts to specialize, and uses their examples and others, a person can start finding all sort of questionable things from the companies. They are only human!

And...no coin NEEDS to be slabbed unless you just like them this way (and selling a slabbed coin can make more profit sometimes). After all, the hobby was around for a long time before slabbing ever existed.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?