Paper Mites leave poop trails.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
waynesonofpeter
Coin Wizz

Paper Mites leave poop trails.

#1 Unread post by waynesonofpeter »

I'm looking at my 1964, red in real nice shape, Lincoln cent. Then to my dismay movement catches my eye on the reverse. Like a lightning bolt my Bio. scope appears with an overhead light source and what should I see but a minute dust or paper mite walking across the inside of my 2x2 coin holder!!! With little dark poop, I suspect, droppings covering quite a bit of my shiny metal coin. Oh and she had her kid with her while even trailing a web like piece of feces I'm guessing. Has anybody else encountered this? And what would be a preventive remedy for this dilemma?

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Paper Mites leave poop trails.

#2 Unread post by Earle42 »

Never heard of this before! I know it sounds weird b/c of the subject matter, but I would have liked to see pics of the mites on the coin...just the mites. LOL!

My guess is to dip in acetone first, let the acetone evaporate from it completely (takes just a second) then put the coin in an Air Tight capsule. All of my nicer coins I put in these capsules now. I think the mites would not be able to get into the capsule, but are, obviously, small enough to get into a 2X2.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

waynesonofpeter
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by waynesonofpeter »

PICT0292.jpg

waynesonofpeter
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by waynesonofpeter »

The very top left of the T, the top point of the T is pointing at the elongated image of the mite. This may be a duplicate message as I am having some difficulties today. Acetone will not harm the coin? And my concern is how many more card holders are infested? Rhetorical. And the dark spots, are they mite poop? I soaked the coin in water over night and brushed it with a soft bristled fine painting brush. The coin looks more " stained (?)" than before.

waynesonofpeter
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by waynesonofpeter »

PICT0295.jpg
PICT0294.jpg

waynesonofpeter
Coin Wizz

#6 Unread post by waynesonofpeter »

PICT0293.jpg
About one inch directly above the F in designers initials.

waynesonofpeter
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by waynesonofpeter »

Are all those round spots normal? I don't remember seeing them. My apologies about the redundancies.

waynesonofpeter
Coin Wizz

#8 Unread post by waynesonofpeter »

PICT0293.jpg
About one inch directly above the F in designers initials.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Earle42 »

Acetone cannot chemically interact with the metal - totally safe for you and the coin. It must be PURE acetone - Walmart health and beauty section sold as fingernail polish remover. Do not just pic up any fingernail polish as the perfumes and colorings added might harm the cin - just get the one marked as pure acetone.

You could use a small glass dish/cup/glass (acetone eats some plastics) to put the acetone in and then add the coin.
after 10-15 remove the coin.

Since its a safe chemical - and totally evaporates off any surface, this is safe if you use a tiny drinking glass. I bought and use baby food jar (as I do many coins) since it has a lid to prevent the acetone from evaporating.

I have to wonder how many of us might have mites on our coins? Thanks for the pics! Never heard of this before.

I know they infest insect collections and moth guts are used in side the cases to kill them. But I am not sure this would be good for coins.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):

waynesonofpeter
Coin Wizz

#10 Unread post by waynesonofpeter »

I was just contemplating on what action to take and I came up with putting all coins in holders in a tent of a sort. Then use a fogger, one that you'd use in a house. Whether it works or not...? Or maybe my old car etc... One should take a precaution when buying coin holders and pesticide them one way or another before putting them into use. I take it you saw the little critter? You can kind of discern the legs. I will have to research whether mite poop stains or not. I think it does.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Earle42 »

You know, I just had a thought. I used to make insect displays for the schools I taught in. I found that in the summer, if I put an insect into the front window of my car on a sunny day, that outside 90 degree heat made it very hot in the car and quickly killed the critter. I have to wonder if similar action with your coins might not do the same? It literally only took a minute or so. But keeping them in there for 10 minutes or so would likely do the trick.

I do not know how many 2X2s you are talking about. But this might be an option. I know I would try it. The temp inside the car, I do not think, would not be enough to alter the coin. Then inspect the coins again.

If problem persists, I would acetone each coin, buy some new 2X2s, reholder, immediately store in tupperware with the gel pack mentioned.

I got my silica gel from my sone working in a furniture store. Every shipment they got in had a pack, and the workers threw them out. My son asked the boss, got a Walmart bag, hung up in the unpackaging area where all the workers threw the packs. This kept the packs form the landfill was just one more thing the owner did not have to pay to be hauled away as trash. After a month I had more than enough: win, win, win.

waynesonofpeter
Coin Wizz

#12 Unread post by waynesonofpeter »

I'm guessing they came from the place I bought the card holders from. And that is an excellent idea!!! Thank you, I will let you know. That is if I know it's got the little buggers in there but I' going to do everything. I have another picture, different coin, with a mite on it that I just came across today. Again GREAT IDEA!!!!