Quarter 1942 status ?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
italycoins
Coin Collector

Quarter 1942 status ?

#1 Unread post by italycoins »

hello america. In your opinion, what conservation can be assigned to this silver, around MS ?
Thanks and greetings from Rome to all
Attachments
20210705_101849.jpg
20210705_101918.jpg

Triple C
Coin Wizz

Re: Quarter 1942 status ?

#2 Unread post by Triple C »

Hi Italycoins...In my opnion, simply insert it in a 2X2 cardboard flip. Here is one of my examples:
20210705_121503.jpg
The 2X2 cardboard holders have mylar windows and are safe for coins. Most will have cardboard dust on the windows from the manufacturing process, so you will need to clean the windows before using them by wiping them off with a clean cotton cloth or use compressed air to blow off the dust. Otherwise, your coins may develop spots.

Hope that helps.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Earle42 »

While a coin in this shape would generally need no conservation, but NOW I definitely would dip it into PURE acetone to remove any possible finger oils it may have picked up when you took this picture. Finger oils and dirt from the hands can, and will sometimes darken the luster over time.

Please always handle coins by the edges to avoid this.

Nice quarter :)
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

Not worth conservation

italycoins
Coin Collector

#5 Unread post by italycoins »

Why ??? Tkss

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

The cost of conservation is more than the coin will be worth. You should always check pcgs price guide and look at what a coin is worth in each grade before thinking of submitting to them. You would have near $100 dollars in this coin with fees and shipping and membership.

italycoins
Coin Collector

#7 Unread post by italycoins »

I understand but over the distance of time like 100 years in 2121 I think the value goes up.
If in 1921 certain pieces that were then common had not been preserved, we would not have some of those pieces that are now rare.
thank you

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

100 years from now is irrelevant to you and I. We will be dead, but if wasting your money now, while you are still alive, for people to gain a speculative or a perceived value in hundred years is your thing then go for it.
I choose to do things that make me and My family money now. A 100 years from now humanity might not even exist anymore so that is of no concern to me.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Earle42 »

italycoins wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:35 am I understand but over the distance of time like 100 years in 2121 I think the value goes up.
If in 1921 certain pieces that were then common had not been preserved, we would not have some of those pieces that are now rare.
thank you
This is a true statement, however, and you may be surprised to find this out, professional graded coin slabs do not effectively preserve a coin.

The slabs are not air tight and will allow toning (tarnish) over time from gases and or humidity allowed inside the slab.

Probably the best way to preserve a coin is in a coin capsule such as the Air Tight brands. They are VERY inexpensive compared to slabbing and actually will preserve the coin since they do not allow air/humidity inside.

Store the capsule in an airtight container with a silica gel packet to get rid of any humidity in the container. These precautions should keep a coin in the best condition it can be.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#10 Unread post by DSCoins »

Earle42 wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:34 pm ... however, and you may be surprised to find this out, professional graded coin slabs do not effectively preserve a coin.

The slabs are not air tight and will allow toning (tarnish) over time from gases and or humidity allowed inside the slab.

Probably the best way to preserve a coin is in a coin capsule such as the Air Tight brands. They are VERY inexpensive compared to slabbing and actually will preserve the coin since they do not allow air/humidity inside.

Store the capsule in an airtight container with a silica gel packet to get rid of any humidity in the container. These precautions should keep a coin in the best condition it can be.
This is very true statement. I have a 1986 American Eagle graded MS-70. It is now starting to tarnish in the holder. I have talked to ANACS about the coin and if I wanted to I could send it into them and they would conserve (clean) the coin and re-holder it with the same grade. Just going to keep it as is.
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901