Storing coins

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
minddyy
Coin Collector

Storing coins

#1 Unread post by minddyy »

I was not sure where to post this question.

I usually coin roll hunt and keep nicer looking coins to look at later on under the microscope. I have been noticing when I pull them out later some of the ones i remember in detail dont look the same. it almost seems like the coins infect each other. i only recently learned that if a coin looks bumpy like an orange that it is in the process of letting off gasses or rotting? I am guessing that if I keep these types of coins in a coin roll with nicer looking coins it could spread to other pennies? Is this correct? Also, I have found a source for blank penny books. I would like to know from anyone if penny books are a reliable storage option. I would also like to know if I am correct that pennies can infect each other if kept close together. I did learn in my research that plastic is a poor option for storage due to PVC causing green slime. Thank you in advance,

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Storing coins

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Nope it doesn't spread, it's not a virus or infection.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Storing coins

#3 Unread post by Earle42 »

I did learn in my research that plastic is a poor option for storage due to PVC causing green slime.
PVC free plastic coin holders are fine. This is the norm nowadays, but always make sure before buying. Don't buy old albums to store coins in unless you can verify they are PVC free.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?