Burnt Coin Questions

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

Burnt Coin Questions

#1 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

I recently acquired a Fire-Damaged coin collection for near face value, and found some decent items, but also have ran into some unanswered questions. Since the fire occurred in 2006, there were relatively few modern coins, especially with respect to the cents, nickels, and dimes.

1. What is the best way to remove Carbonization from coins en masse? I found around 1000 wheat cents in said collection, but they all need to be decarbonized before I can really check for any decent dates. This would also help with spending the blackened but otherwise fine normal/non-collectible coins

2. Can you Nic-a Date a burnt Buffalo Nickel? If so, what is necessary to allow the Nic-a Date to access the metal? If not, what should I do with all of the crispy buffalos?

3. What should be done with U.S. silver coins that are melted beyond recognition and may have had impurities introduced in the fire. The coins are utterly disfigured, or missing chucks out of them. I do not currently have the means to purify them, or melt them.

Either way, I am more than happy with my finds, which included about $4 FV in silver(when including silver from a few foreigns), as well as 3 ozt of melted silver coins, a roll's worth of buffalo nickels, 1000ish wheat cents, a shield nickel and a flying eagle(and all for barely over face value)

Iceresistance
Coin Expert

Re: Burnt Coin Questions

#2 Unread post by Iceresistance »

2. You can't use Nic-a-Date on the Nickels, it won't work well on other surfaces other than Nickel . . .

On the melted silver coins, you can redeem them at the mint for other coins, because of the spot silver price is expensive today compared to back then . . .
You are never too old to learn something new

monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

Iceresistance wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:53 am 2. You can't use Nic-a-Date on the Nickels, it won't work well on other surfaces other than Nickel . . .

On the melted silver coins, you can redeem them at the mint for other coins, because of the spot silver price is expensive today compared to back then . . .
Thanks for the information about the nickels; it is a shame that there is nothing I can do about them

Could you send some more info about the melted silver coin exchange, as I am not familiar with what you speak of

Iceresistance
Coin Expert

#4 Unread post by Iceresistance »

monsterbug1 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:30 am
Iceresistance wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:53 am 2. You can't use Nic-a-Date on the Nickels, it won't work well on other surfaces other than Nickel . . .

Thanks for the information about the nickels; it is a shame that there is nothing I can do about them

Could you send some more info about the melted silver coin exchange, as I am not familiar with what you speak of
Here's the link
https://www.greatamericancoincompany.co ... d-currency
You are never too old to learn something new