1932 D Red lincoln cent taking out of folder after 35 years

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
MarkTbird55
Coining Around

1932 D Red lincoln cent taking out of folder after 35 years

#1 Unread post by MarkTbird55 »

I'M NERVOUS ! Taking my 1932 D out of it's folder that it has been in for 35 years ! I believe it to be red, not a brown red. correct me if I am wrong. I believe it to be in MS 67+ at least if not MS68 as well. This is one of my coins I want to send off to PCGS soon, I will take more pics after I take it out.. Looking for thoughts and comments on my coin. Hope I can get Daniels advice. Thank you
Attachments
paid $11 for it in 1985
paid $11 for it in 1985
I put $275 value on it in red/brown at ms67 condition but I think it qualifies for Red ??
I put $275 value on it in red/brown at ms67 condition but I think it qualifies for Red ??
20210422_183718[1].jpg

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1932 D Red lincoln cent taking out of folder after 35 years

#2 Unread post by Earle42 »

Hard to tell what marks are on the coin and what are on the plastic. Make sure you do the homework to find out how much the various MS grades sell for to see what level it would have to make to pay for the slabbing. Heritage auction sold one not long ago in MS64 for only 104.00. So make sure you look ahead to see what the fees would total you.

Nice looking Lincoln!
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

MarkTbird55
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by MarkTbird55 »

Here it is out of the coin holder ! Looking for thoughts on grade and red or red brown ? my thoughts are its ms 67 at least or better and its red. please and Thank you
Mark
Attachments
No light on camera pic
No light on camera pic
A closer view with light on
A closer view with light on
Reverse with no light
Reverse with no light
Reverse with light on
Reverse with light on

MarkTbird55
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by MarkTbird55 »

Earle42 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:41 pm Hard to tell what marks are on the coin and what are on the plastic. Make sure you do the homework to find out how much the various MS grades sell for to see what level it would have to make to pay for the slabbing. Heritage auction sold one not long ago in MS64 for only 104.00. So make sure you look ahead to see what the fees would total you.

Nice looking Lincoln!
Thank you Earle42 . Did some homework all ready and looked through the auctions and PCGS. my 1932 is comparable to there ms 67 or a bit better in my view. join and paid for a pcgs membership today. and I just posted 4 pics out of its holder before this message. Thanks again

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

Please understand I do not know how experienced you are in the hobby. So I am offering the next bit of advice. Following is a short essay I post to try to help people understand the role of the grading companies. Daniel made a video concerning this after I posted this to this forum initially. Sorry I do not have the specific link.

"Here is more info concerning the nature of the companies to help you not lose money.
Thinking of Slabbing? Make sure you understand the Facts...or Lose Money.
1. The grading companies are not a way that the majority of people, even those with a great deal of experience and know what they are doing, are going to be able to make a of money from. Many people start using grading companies thinking they will find a way to finance their hobby, but they learn a hard lesson quickly.

2. Watch some of Daniel's videos where he gets pieces back form the grading companies. Note even people who live, eat, breath, and deal coins for a living (like Daniel) can accurately predict what grade the companies will give. And...the "fault" (not really a fault) is in a mistaken perception - not people like Daniel.

Coin grading companies are a business out to make a profit - this is why they exist. They use a system where (allegedly) three graders look at each coin and give an opinion. The company videos showing the process make you believe this is a relaxed paced process of studying each coin. In fact one PCGS video shows a number of guys sitting around a table discussing what they think a specific coin should be graded as (on youtube somewhere - sorry no link). Uh uh.

If you take a PCGS graded coin slabbed as MS64, break it out, and resubmit it to PCGS, you are never guaranteed the same grade again. The slabbed coin might come back MS62 (bad day for graders), 63, 64, 65, 66 (great day for you!). This is b/c the process is all subjective: No scientific/verifiable standards or methods are used. Personally having talked with former graders (granted - its been awhile), the process is very rushed since they told me graders are paid by how many coins they can get through in a day.

But..this is all hearsay without proof. So...
http://goccf.com/t/346174#2967242

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/top ... _ID=130186

Also link to and read (download if you want it) the pdf link in my signature. The verifiable data presented shows trusting people have spent thousands of dollars on many slabbed coins that are not what the companies claims/slabbed the coins to be.

You don't have to throw in the towel over these companies...but education about the reality of them will put you on the right pathway to dealing with them in a legit way without losing money in the process.

And…if you just like to collect slabbed coins for what they are, which makes losing/making money from slabs irrelevant, then of course enjoy them!"

As Daniels has said in his videos, sending in a coin to a grading company is a gamble. So you just need to take all this in mind before actually spending the money. You could come out on top, or you could be very disappointed and puzzled as to how in the world the results came back as they did.

Also read the PCGS guarantee. All is not as people think it to be...
The guarantee covers misidentification by OCGS of fakes, a guarantee they grade according to the way they say they grade (how could that be proven or not?), and if a person thinks their coin was graded too high then PCGS will either dumb it down and pay a the difference (in other words devalue the slab/coin), or buy the slab for a price they set based on what THEY think a dealer would pay.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

MarkTbird55
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by MarkTbird55 »

Earle42 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:32 am Please understand I do not know how experienced you are in the hobby. So I am offering the next bit of advice. Following is a short essay I post to try to help people understand the role of the grading companies. Daniel made a video concerning this after I posted this to this forum initially. Sorry I do not have the specific link.

"Here is more info concerning the nature of the companies to help you not lose money.
Thinking of Slabbing? Make sure you understand the Facts...or Lose Money.
1. The grading companies are not a way that the majority of people, even those with a great deal of experience and know what they are doing, are going to be able to make a of money from. Many people start using grading companies thinking they will find a way to finance their hobby, but they learn a hard lesson quickly.

2. Watch some of Daniel's videos where he gets pieces back form the grading companies. Note even people who live, eat, breath, and deal coins for a living (like Daniel) can accurately predict what grade the companies will give. And...the "fault" (not really a fault) is in a mistaken perception - not people like Daniel.

Coin grading companies are a business out to make a profit - this is why they exist. They use a system where (allegedly) three graders look at each coin and give an opinion. The company videos showing the process make you believe this is a relaxed paced process of studying each coin. In fact one PCGS video shows a number of guys sitting around a table discussing what they think a specific coin should be graded as (on youtube somewhere - sorry no link). Uh uh.

If you take a PCGS graded coin slabbed as MS64, break it out, and resubmit it to PCGS, you are never guaranteed the same grade again. The slabbed coin might come back MS62 (bad day for graders), 63, 64, 65, 66 (great day for you!). This is b/c the process is all subjective: No scientific/verifiable standards or methods are used. Personally having talked with former graders (granted - its been awhile), the process is very rushed since they told me graders are paid by how many coins they can get through in a day.

But..this is all hearsay without proof. So...
http://goccf.com/t/346174#2967242

https://www.coincommunity.com/forum/top ... _ID=130186

Also link to and read (download if you want it) the pdf link in my signature. The verifiable data presented shows trusting people have spent thousands of dollars on many slabbed coins that are not what the companies claims/slabbed the coins to be.

You don't have to throw in the towel over these companies...but education about the reality of them will put you on the right pathway to dealing with them in a legit way without losing money in the process.

And…if you just like to collect slabbed coins for what they are, which makes losing/making money from slabs irrelevant, then of course enjoy them!"

As Daniels has said in his videos, sending in a coin to a grading company is a gamble. So you just need to take all this in mind before actually spending the money. You could come out on top, or you could be very disappointed and puzzled as to how in the world the results came back as they did.

Also read the PCGS guarantee. All is not as people think it to be...
The guarantee covers misidentification by OCGS of fakes, a guarantee they grade according to the way they say they grade (how could that be proven or not?), and if a person thinks their coin was graded too high then PCGS will either dumb it down and pay a the difference (in other words devalue the slab/coin), or buy the slab for a price they set based on what THEY think a dealer would pay.
Thank you for your insight and advice Earle, and I would have to agree with you. I think I have seen one of daniels vids of that, going to watch more. I have had the coin so long and within the year to next 7 plan on selling them not so much as I need the money but I am not going to take them with me either. I have never had any graded and have at least 30 or so coins/bills I would like to have graded ( hopefully on their good grading days) seeing I will have 8 vouchers from my membership to use as long as they do not exceed 2,500 in value. So I hope the get graded correctly or I will just keep them in the holders where they will be safer for keeping. wait till I post my 3 Jefferson war nickels I want to post pics on to confirm full steps. 1942 P FS approx. ms67+ or higher, 1943 P FS ms67+ higher, and 1942 S ms 67+ or higher . almost flawless .. oh and I will be posting a 1943 P transitional , checked it with my silver ping app and did a drop test .. it isn't silver..... Thank you again for your wisdom. all advice is welcome.

monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

nice coin; hope you get lucky

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

You will NOT get any MS67+ or MS68 grades with a coin like this, it's a nice coin but I've had much nicer and was lucky to get MS66 and MS65 usually. I don't know if you're showing the same coin here, but it also looks red brown. You can disagree with me and debate, I wont, I've been sending coins to them for 20 years and I know a thing or two about this. I am not going to give anyone false hope.
If you want to try it, please do, but don't in your mind they will give you registry quality grades. Sorry, but it's not that easy.