What would any.......

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
typeviic
Coinasieur

What would any.......

#1 Unread post by typeviic »

of you pay for a rare, 1911-D, $2.50 Indian Head gold, Strong D, in an ANACS holder that is details cleaned, AU55?

On April 20th, HA sold one for $2880 that was graded AU53.

The general rule of thumb is that a details coin is valued at 1 grade below the holder grade, right?

I would think it would be a steal at 2k. Thoughts?
Attachments
img.axd.jpg

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: What would any.......

#2 Unread post by Paul »

typeviic wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:21 am

The general rule of thumb is that a details coin is valued at 1 grade below the holder grade, right?

May I ask where you received this information please?
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

typeviic
Coinasieur

#3 Unread post by typeviic »

ok, forget about that. how much would you pay?

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by Coin Mule »

typeviic wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:21 am of you pay for a rare, 1911-D, $2.50 Indian Head gold, Strong D, in an ANACS holder that is details cleaned, AU55?

Hey T, I would not buy a deets coin. My view is that, unless you had a collector that was looking for a $2.50 coin that was either, in a ANACS holder, or was going to crack it out of the ANACS holder to put it in a display set, it will not be easy to sell. Now if gold goes above 2k well that is another story. I know a dealer who has a stack of deets (details/cleaned) Morgans, in holders, that he cannot get rid of. This is what I have seen for the short time I have been in this market. Oh yes, the 1 grade below, nope, don't know where that came from. If it would sell for $1700 I would be surprised. But what do I know, just an Old Coin Mule.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

Just use ebay sold auctions to gage what they're selling for
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... Complete=1

typeviic
Coinasieur

#6 Unread post by typeviic »

Coin Mule wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:34 pm
typeviic wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:21 am of you pay for a rare, 1911-D, $2.50 Indian Head gold, Strong D, in an ANACS holder that is details cleaned, AU55?

Hey T, I would not buy a deets coin. My view is that, unless you had a collector that was looking for a $2.50 coin that was either, in a ANACS holder, or was going to crack it out of the ANACS holder to put it in a display set, it will not be easy to sell. Now if gold goes above 2k well that is another story. I know a dealer who has a stack of deets (details/cleaned) Morgans, in holders, that he cannot get rid of. This is what I have seen for the short time I have been in this market. Oh yes, the 1 grade below, nope, don't know where that came from. If it would sell for $1700 I would be surprised. But what do I know, just an Old Coin Mule.
Yeah, but this is gold were talking about. So for the right price, it is worth it.

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by Coin Mule »

typeviic wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:57 am
Coin Mule wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:34 pm
typeviic wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:21 am
Yeah, but this is gold were talking about. So for the right price, it is worth it.
Well, 1911-D Indian Gold Quarter Eagle $2.50 Coin (Weak D) no issues, - PCGS AU50 - $1500.00, like I said 1700 would surprise me. I know the one you are showing is a strong D and also theoretically graded one step higher, but the cleaned/deets is a killer. But again, it is hard to place a fixed value, right place, right time, right product, right buyer, the sky is the limit.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

manny57
Coining Around

Re: baloney grading

#8 Unread post by manny57 »

Hi everyone 👍
Happy Easter to all from Portugal.
My question pertains more to grading. Was taught to observe/ learn very young😜
AM not a coin expert but younger had perfect vision as was able to see flaws in diamond that experts needed to use a loupe, and yes did win many drinks on bets.
Grading companies are my problem plus every collector also. Just my opinion.
We take ngc 10-30 mercury dime graded ms 67 fsb ?
Inconsistency/ biased/ BUDDY grading HITS you so hard you can see who is NGC who is pimp on good terms hierarchy NGC or so called " whale collector,"
We take same graded coins and sue NGC for manipulation coin market? Evidence is graded coins + all proof baloney visible to anyone
Same goes for pcgs.
Costs lawsuit we get a gofund going.
Was looking for a ms67 FSB and got angry / disgusted how coin same company/ grade can have so noticeable difference, meaning can't trust any tpgs. Plus seems obvious ,I feel, grading companies think I am an idiot for trusting their grades.
Just my 1/2 cent worth
Be safe everyone.