Best way to sell NIFC Halves/ Roll hunting finds

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

Best way to sell NIFC Halves/ Roll hunting finds

#1 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

I recently tried to sell a lot containing roll hunting finds on ebay, but got barely over face value despite silver being included. What would be a better way to sell these types of items

Funky Strike
Coinasieur

Re: Best way to sell NIFC Halves/ Roll hunting finds

#2 Unread post by Funky Strike »

Sorry to hear that - Selling on eBay can be tough

Danial always says - Check the sold items - try to find one that matches yours - see what they sold it for - Look at the listing and try to copy how they posted the item.

If you sell it as an auction - I like to list mine for Seven days - and have them "end" at peak selling times (Friday Night - Saturday Afternoon / Night - Sunday Afternoon - Monday Nights for me)

Also check the shipping fees and return policy - People do check that and it can effect your final sales price

Take good pictures - the more the better!

Hope this helps

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

What is NIFC ??
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Iceresistance
Coin Expert

#4 Unread post by Iceresistance »

Paul wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:27 pm What is NIFC ??
Not Intended For Circulation
You are never too old to learn something new

Paul

#5 Unread post by Paul »

ISHFTOFM
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

silverbul

#6 Unread post by silverbul »

icbinb

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Hey Paul, I was wondering myself. From what I can see the origin of this term comes the coins that are produced by Niue, Tuvalu, etc. They produce coins as strictly collector items, as such they are NIFC. Somehow the metal detector crews have expanded its usage for mint and proof coins, which in my opinion is not a correct Numismatic term when applied to Proof, SMS, and I would guess Mint coins. I cannot find this term on the US Mint website, or the NGC website, it does appear in the NGC community website, but nowhere official.

So to me, NIFC is such an illogical and imprecise term. For example, I have a NIFC Kennedy. Ok great, is it an SMS, Proof, or Mint, because it could be any of these depending on the date, oh yes it can affect the price also.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

#8 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

Coin Mule wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:51 pm
Hey Paul, I was wondering myself. From what I can see the origin of this term comes the coins that are produced by Niue, Tuvalu, etc. They produce coins as strictly collector items, as such they are NIFC. Somehow the metal detector crews have expanded its usage for mint and proof coins, which in my opinion is not a correct Numismatic term when applied to Proof, SMS, and I would guess Mint coins. I cannot find this term on the US Mint website, or the NGC website, it does appear in the NGC community website, but nowhere official.

So to me, NIFC is such an illogical and imprecise term. For example, I have a NIFC Kennedy. Ok great, is it an SMS, Proof, or Mint, because it could be any of these depending on the date, oh yes it can affect the price also.
as far as I know, it refers to non-proof coins( half dollars especially, 2002-present and 1987) that were Not Intended For Circulation, but also can be used to refer to the S mint business strike quarters that were sold in sets over the last few years

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by Coin Mule »

monsterbug1 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:53 pm I recently tried to sell a lot containing roll hunting finds on ebay, but got barely over face value despite silver being included. What would be a better way to sell these types of items
DELETED POST
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10

Paul

#10 Unread post by Paul »

People need to realize what we actually here to do.....

I have seen a HUGE uptick in the use of nonsensical acronyms....
There have even been members here, asking where they could actually get a "Acronym Dictionary"........ SILLY!

It really needs to stop,....... as I am seeing it all over now. I know why this is, but I'm not gonna say it in a forum.

As for my acronym........ "I Should've Figured That out for Myself"
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

#11 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

Paul wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:50 pm People need to realize what we actually here to do.....

I have seen a HUGE uuptick in the use of nonsensical acronyms....
There have even been members here, asking where they could actually get a "Acronym Dictionary"........ SILLY!

It really needs to stop,....... as I am seeing it all over now. I know why this is, but I'm not gonna say it in a forum.

As for my acronym........ "I Should've Figured That out for Myself"
This is nothing new; this acronym has been in use for multiple years by multiple roll hunters; nor is this acronym nonsensical, it makes a lot of sense in my opinion

monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

#12 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

Coin Mule wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:42 pm
monsterbug1 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:53 pm I recently tried to sell a lot containing roll hunting finds on ebay, but got barely over face value despite silver being included. What would be a better way to sell these types of items
DELETED POST
why??

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#13 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Hey M, I needed more context and your most recent post gave it to me.

First, the roots (etymology) of the acronym NIFC starts with the metal detector folks, it spread out from there. It really is not a term you would want to use with Professionals, and if you look at my example below you will understand why.

So let's take the 2020 D and P and S Kennedys for example.

First the P and Ds. They are Clad and are (Mint) coins, in other words they are taken directly from the mint and put into rolls and bags for collectors. The specificity of "Not Intended For Circulation" was never used by the Mint or really any other source other than some internet sites.

Second the S. These came in two flavors, Proof Clad and Proof Silver, in proof sets, which means they would come in proof packaging and they would only come from the San Francisco mint. Again, nowhere is the term NIFC used, to Numismatics folks they are proofs, clad and silver.

So saying that you have a 2002 Kennedy NIFC, is redundant, because numismatists will know that the 2002 Kennedys were either Mint, Clad Proof, or Silver Proof and not "Business". But now here is where the imprecision comes in, if you say you have a 2002s clad Kennedy, or 2002s silver Kennedy, we know exactly what you are talking about, you don't even need to mention Proof because all of the S coins were proof, by using NIFC, all we know is that you have a 2002 Kennedy, which we already know from the year, is not a business strike.

Now on to Business, and your Silver conundrum.

$9.00, remember this it is an important starting point.

First, buying rolls from an internet source is not wise. Think of this, if Daniel, for all of his connections and expertise, and how well known he is, and his excellent reputation, gets skunked, what do you think will happen to us?

What I think is great is that he had the honesty to share this with us.

I don't know what you are searching, but I can give you a scenario that might help.

One thing to remember is that there are not going to be enough of these "Silver" proof coins to make rolls, and because nobody breaks them out unless it is to submit them for grading. You would have to buy them in a holder to get them, the coins in these holders have been gone through to make sure there are no high grade coins in them, (you didn't think you had a chance at finding a "winner" did you?).

First you have to be searching rolls you get from a bank and not from an internet supplier. It's obvious why I say this. If you get silver at face value, well you are off to a good start.

CAVEAT
"with the exception of maybe "Coin Opp", but even he cannot provide absolute provenance for his rolls"

So you search through 200 rolls to get 2 rolls of silver, at this point you return the 198 rolls, and break even on those rolls. But you are now in the hole for $20, for the two rolls you found.

APMEX is selling a $50.00 face value bag of 90% silver Kennedy's for $1257.00 check or wire. This puts the per coin cost at $12.00, plus they have free shipping. So this is what you are competing with.

So melt for these coins is $9.00, but no one will give you straight melt value, you will be fortunate to get 80 to 90% of melt, and you will probably get less from your local dealer.

You need to be under $12.00 including the shipping to make this work. Now, at this point each of your coins have cost you .50 cents, 75% of melt is $6.75, and shipping is $4.75.

$6.75 + $4.75 + .50 cents = 11.75, now I believe this would sell, and it would sell even faster if you made it an even $11.00. You would be making, on the $11.75, $6.25 + the shipping rebate eBay gives to Gold Star sellers, which is a buck, so $7.25.

SO there you have it, now what would looking at 200 rolls of halves look like, and then repacking them, I don't know, but I guess it would beat emptying septic tanks on a 98 degree day with 99% humidity 😁
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10

monsterbug1
Coin Wizz

#14 Unread post by monsterbug1 »

Coin Mule wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:46 pm Hey M, I needed more context and your most recent post gave it to me.

First, the roots (etymology) of the acronym NIFC starts with the metal detector folks, it spread out from there. It really is not a term you would want to use with Professionals, and if you look at my example below you will understand why.

So let's take the 2020 D and P and S Kennedys for example.

First the P and Ds. They are Clad and are (Mint) coins, in other words they are taken directly from the mint and put into rolls and bags for collectors. The specificity of "Not Intended For Circulation" was never used by the Mint or really any other source other than some internet sites.

Second the S. These came in two flavors, Proof Clad and Proof Silver, in proof sets, which means they would come in proof packaging and they would only come from the San Francisco mint. Again, nowhere is the term NIFC used, to Numismatics folks they are proofs, clad and silver.

So saying that you have a 2002 Kennedy NIFC, is redundant, because numismatists will know that the 2002 Kennedys were either Mint, Clad Proof, or Silver Proof and not "Business". But now here is where the imprecision comes in, if you say you have a 2002s clad Kennedy, or 2002s silver Kennedy, we know exactly what you are talking about, you don't even need to mention Proof because all of the S coins were proof, by using NIFC, all we know is that you have a 2002 Kennedy, which we already know from the year, is not a business strike.

Now on to Business, and your Silver conundrum.

$9.00, remember this it is an important starting point.

First, buying rolls from an internet source is not wise. Think of this, if Daniel, for all of his connections and expertise, and how well known he is, and his excellent reputation, gets skunked, what do you think will happen to us?

What I think is great is that he had the honesty to share this with us.

I don't know what you are searching, but I can give you a scenario that might help.

One thing to remember is that there are not going to be enough of these "Silver" proof coins to make rolls, and because nobody breaks them out unless it is to submit them for grading. You would have to buy them in a holder to get them, the coins in these holders have been gone through to make sure there are no high grade coins in them, (you didn't think you had a chance at finding a "winner" did you?).

First you have to be searching rolls you get from a bank and not from an internet supplier. It's obvious why I say this. If you get silver at face value, well you are off to a good start.

CAVEAT
"with the exception of maybe "Coin Opp", but even he cannot provide absolute provenance for his rolls"

So you search through 200 rolls to get 2 rolls of silver, at this point you return the 198 rolls, and break even on those rolls. But you are now in the hole for $20, for the two rolls you found.

APMEX is selling a $50.00 face value bag of 90% silver Kennedy's for $1257.00 check or wire. This puts the per coin cost at $12.00, plus they have free shipping. So this is what you are competing with.

So melt for these coins is $9.00, but no one will give you straight melt value, you will be fortunate to get 80 to 90% of melt, and you will probably get less from your local dealer.

You need to be under $12.00 including the shipping to make this work. Now, at this point each of your coins have cost you .50 cents, 75% of melt is $6.75, and shipping is $4.75.

$6.75 + $4.75 + .50 cents = 11.75, now I believe this would sell, and it would sell even faster if you made it an even $11.00. You would be making, on the $11.75, $6.25 + the shipping rebate eBay gives to Gold Star sellers, which is a buck, so $7.25.

SO there you have it, now what would looking at 200 rolls of halves look like, and then repacking them, I don't know, but I guess it would beat emptying septic tanks on a 98 degree day with 99% humidity 😁

Thanks For the reply; I got into roll hunting mainly by watching Rob Finds Treasure, a collector and Roll Hunter on youtube, and that is where I picked up the term NIFC; although your predictions for how common silver is are quite optimistic, finding the 72 D no FG half dollars, as well as some of the more common DDO's, can add up. I have seen silver halves, when it is just silver and no other coins in the lot, go for 1.1ish x melt, more for high grade finds. Shipping for a whole roll of silver is not too much, and discards can simply be dropped off at the local bank's coin counting machine without fees.

Either way, I have seen the term "NIFC" used on ebay, and said coins(clad halves from 02 to present) do seem to command a 1.5x to 2x face value premium

I would never buy internet rolls, and have only occasionally bought wheat lots, and even then only if I could make profit

Thank you for your time

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#15 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Hey M, shoot I have no idea how much silver is still out there, just a theoretical example. As far as your original question, you know what you are doing, dump it and move on.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#16 Unread post by Earle42 »

I learned/have used "NIFC" on other forums for a long time (just over ten years now). To find an acronym, there is an acronym reference.

I typed "NIFC half" into a search engine and was immediately met with a link to "Not Intended For Circulation Half dollars." Its how I figure some out when I am stuck.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#17 Unread post by DSCoins »

Coin Mule wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:46 pm First the P and Ds. They are Clad and are (Mint) coins, in other words they are taken directly from the mint and put into rolls and bags for collectors. The specificity of "Not Intended For Circulation" was never used by the Mint or really any other source other than some internet sites.

Coin mule I deleted most of your post that I used to quote you in the interest of keeping this post as short as possible, if I left anything out of your post on this matter please let me know. I tried to keep the parts of your post in regards to the finishes and the "NIFC" acronym that the mint posts on its website, in regards to the Kennedy half dollars. Please understand this is not intended as a insult/slam or anything of that nature. Simply it is general conversation in regards to the topic at hand, along with the informational knowledge that I personally could learn on this subject.

From the US Mints own website
2021 Kennedy Half Dollar 200-Coin Bag – Philadelphia and Denver

The 2021 Kennedy Half Dollar 200-Coin Bag contains coins with circulating finishes—100 minted at the Philadelphia Mint and 100 minted at the Denver Mint. These coins have never been placed into circulation. The Kennedy half dollars feature the original 1964 obverse (heads) design with the image of President John F. Kennedy. The design inscriptions on the obverse are “LIBERTY,” “IN God WE TRUST,” and “2021.” The reverse (tails) design is based on the Presidential Coat of Arms. Inscriptions are “UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,” “E PLURIBUS UNUM,” and “HALF DOLLAR.”
With this in mind I can understand how some may get confused by the "NIFC" acronym. As you can see the US mint states that these coins have never been placed in circulation. Also as far as business strikes the mint does not come out and call them "business" strikes but they do refer to them as circulating finishes, which I believe would also imply that they are "business" strike or a finish that all circulating coins are struck with.

As far as NIFC right or wrong, there are many coin roll hunters on YouTube who while searching boxes of Kennedy Half dollars (circulated boxes) will call the Half dollars in years that the mint didn't place them into circulation (NIFCs). You have some who have had their YouTube channels for years. By some they are also considered very knowledgeable in the numismatic field.
This all just my opinion on it all.
DScoins
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#18 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Hey D, no worries, outside of my family, as long as it does not effect my bottom line, it does not bother me, but thanks for the thought.

As far as "Business Strike" it's in Websters and has been in use for a gazillion years. Now NIFC, if someone like Paul is saying, "hold on there pardner", it gives me pause. For me it is like someone saying a 2021 Porsche 911 Turbo S is "four wheel drive", anyone who knows the vehicle will cringe and laugh inside at "Four Wheel Drive", yes all the wheels are driven, but the system itself and how they are controlled etc. is totally different from a "four wheel drive". That is why it is called "all wheel drive". Four wheel drive is for a 1966 Dodge Power Wagon.
But hey to each his own.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10