This Must STOP NOW!!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

This Must STOP NOW!!

#1 Unread post by Daniel »

Okay, now that I have your attention.

Here's a few things I am asking members NOT to do.
  • Please do NOT post you coin question and images in someone else's topic.
    Please do NOT post links from your computer or a cloud service. You must upload them here.
    Please do NOT send me or any admin a private message about your coin or suggestions on how to run this community better. PMs are for technical issues or to ask Paul about sending a coin to him.
    Please do NOT rant, if you don't like how we admin or answer your question. Just quietly leave and go somewhere else.
    Please do NOT spam the board with non-numismatic links or you will be removed.
If you don't know how to do something then go to the "Start Here" forum and look for a topic on how to do something.
Here's one for posting topics in this forum.
https://coinauctionshelp.com/forum/view ... 11&t=15935

I am seeing a lot of great answers and information here! So keep that coming! Loving what I am seeing!

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

Re: This Must STOP NOW!!

#2 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Daniel, thanks for this.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

Nevada Cowboy
Coin Collector

#3 Unread post by Nevada Cowboy »

Extremely Sorry, I'm a Guilty Party. Must do better

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, just a few things I've seen by more than one member and I want to keep things organized. I am seeing post in several irrelevant forums. Hard to find the posts too.

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Yeah D, what is up with people posting coins in the "start here" or "introduce yosef" threads, are we really😴🥱😴🥱😌 that lazy
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Earle42 »

Not sure it laziness as much as not understanding forum layout/procedures. Some people have never been on a forum before. I remember my first experience on another forum took awhile before I understand basics of forum formats.

Each forum has its own tweaks. I admit there are a lot of things I still do not know about this one like the little Icons beside the list of posts. Yes, I am sure somewhere it says what they are on this forum, but being honest, its not important enough for me to try to find the answers.

Another issue is how a forum is set up. The first time I FOUND the subscribe to topic option (my fault for not taking the time to try to find it in the instructions), I wondered if I had accidentally double clicked b/c the "subscribe" box was auto checked. I am used to having to click a box to select an option.
Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 1.27.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 1.27.33 PM.png (59.21 KiB) Viewed 26542 times
When I went to reply to PMs, I was confused b/c the <send reply> button remains after you click it and the PM sits in the outbox until the recipient reads it.

Being used to my mail giving feedback about the mail being sent, and the outbox auto empties when the <sed> button is hit, this was confusing to me.

This is NOT a criticism! Different programmers set up things different ways. Being a creature of habit, and having problems with things like adding emoticons on here, I don't know if failed actions are my browser(s) or my way of thinking as compared to the forum layout.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Strayergirl8
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by Strayergirl8 »

I don't understand how to post then

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

Strayergirl8 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:07 pm I don't understand how to post then
No offense but in my first post above I placed a link for that. It seems members don't read my entire posts.

I am not sure how much more I can do to make is easier but I am open for suggestions.

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#9 Unread post by Paul »

With reluctance I make this post.

I have been back and forth in my head whether or not to say anything here.
But I feel I have to now… As the situation has gotten way, way out of hand.

Re: Numismatic Nomenclature
We must 1st and foremost remember that there are great number of
new/novice/undereducated individuals that visit this site asking questions about their coins.

The ACRONYMS people are posting here are simply made up...... whether the lack of will to type out the entire phrase, their use of acronyms to make them look more professional or expert (??), I don't know,… BUT IT NEEDS TO STOP.

I've been doing this for a long time, a very long time, & I can usually figure out what they are indicating… But there is no way a majority of the readers here have any idea of what these are. I can assume that they will skip off to a glossary of numismatic abbreviations…… And when they don't see it on that list……?

I'm making this post, as I see these homemade acronyms showing up everywhere now!
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Unread post by Earle42 »

Paul, its no secret I use acronyms in my posts. I got am not sure if what I use is what you are referring to.

I made up none of them myself.

Why do I use them?
1. convenience, time saving, and less typos (my problem!).
2. When on my very first forum years ago I was introduced to the fact that there is a set of forum acronyms used almost universally - so I use them.
3. Acronyms were made to save time, have been used for a lot longer than I ever knew until I looked it up one time, and are just a natural part of the human experience.

Can you list specifics of the ones you say are homemade? I do not remember seeing them (and admit it might just be me). Every one I have seen used here I have seen used on other forums as well.

I assume if someone does not know an acronym but is actually interested in the post to their answer, they will ask.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#11 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Hey, well here is my list. "S.E.M.", Scanning Electron Microscope, "SEC." Securities Exchange Commission, "NFA" National Futures Association, "OPM" Other Peoples Money, "VAM" The term VAM is an acronym for "Van Allen - Mallis, "RPM" Revolutions Per Minute, oh wait, Reprint Mint mark. But I sink dat be it. 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

But I do see Pauls point, one poster, who hasn't been around since I asked if they were a native English speaker was speaking in Text Message Shorthand, I guess they thought it was cool 🤨🤨🤨🤨. Leet I can handle but that other stuff not so much.

7h3 3v32 5p34k1n9 1337 1 c01n mu13
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#12 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Strayergirl8 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:07 pm I don't understand how to post then
Hi S, it would help if we all posted our questions in the appropriate area, I for one am used to forums where the mod moves stuff where it belongs, and if someone keeps doing it the get a timeout. Also they are big time draconian with this kind of stuff, but it is very well ordered.

So let me help you out. lets say you have a question about a wheat cent.
So you start at the start page, 😀😀😀, scroll down to "United States Coin Guides", on the "United States Coin Guides" page, select "Small Cents", now you are on the Small Cents Page, click on New Topic, annnnnnnnnd posto'licious.

Attachments
USA COIN GUIDES.png
coin listing.png
Post a new topic.png
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10

Paul

#13 Unread post by Paul »

Earle42 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:33 pm Paul, its no secret I use acronyms in my posts. I got am not sure if what I use is what you are referring to.

I made up none of them myself.

Why do I use them?
1. convenience, time saving, and less typos (my problem!).
2. When on my very first forum years ago I was introduced to the fact that there is a set of forum acronyms used almost universally - so I use them.
3. Acronyms were made to save time, have been used for a lot longer than I ever knew until I looked it up one time, and are just a natural part of the human experience.

Can you list specifics of the ones you say are homemade? I do not remember seeing them (and admit it might just be me). Every one I have seen used here I have seen used on other forums as well.

I assume if someone does not know an acronym but is actually interested in the post to their answer, they will ask.
I prefer not to point fingers at anyone..... Or give examples.

I am concerned that a great number of new/newer individuals become reluctant to even a make post or ask a question due to their lack of experience.

I am seeing it now more than ever, ...people apologizing for even asking in their introductions and posts, .....prior to even asking the question.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Daniel »

Well, there goes my reason for this topic. I am trying to get people to post appropriately. If I moved all the post to where they belong then I wouldn't have time to help. I barely have that time as is. I wish I did because I would move them all. People are posting all over and in other people's topics and not posting images and sending me questions on coins. That is what this topic is supposed to be about. Newbies don't even understand known acronyms and don't seem to see the start here forum with how to post in this forum topics. I digress. I tried. It's almost too much.

p.j.stevens
Coining Around

#15 Unread post by p.j.stevens »

Daniel. Chill. Think it through and you'll make it all work. You know it takes time is all.