1916D Barber Quarter

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
hastic1
Coining Around

1916D Barber Quarter

#1 Unread post by hastic1 »

Decided to try and self grade this Barber Quarter (attached) and thought that it might grade MS 62 or 63. After looking at some grading video's including what Daniel has on YouTube, I am all confused now. Decided to reach out and ask the forum what you think this might grade? Let me know what you think. Thanks
Attachments
Barber Quarter Obverse 1916D.JPG
Barber Quarter Reverse 1916D.JPG

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: 1916D Barber Quarter

#2 Unread post by Paul »

Looks nice......
Sorry, I do not photo grade.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

MS Details the coin has been cleaned

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#4 Unread post by DSCoins »

Daniel wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:54 pm MS Details the coin has been cleaned

Daniel:
In regards to calling it cleaned (not arguing about it, just trying to learn). Is the cleaned portion on the Obverse with striations going from the Stars to her face along with the same type of striations going from the back of her hair to the rim? I tried to see if it was on the Reverse but I couldn't see anything that would call it cleaned.

Thanks in Advance
DScoins
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

hastic1
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by hastic1 »

Well, I have had this coin for over 40 years and it has not been cleaned by me but I guess in its 100 year history who knows what happened to it before me.

Daniel, since you brought up cleaning, if I send this coin off for grading, do they sometimes clean coins while in the grading process? i.e. I have seen in some of PCGS grading they said 'cleaned by PCGS'? If I send to PCGS, will they tell me their professional opinion if the coin was cleaned?

When I started this topic, I am just trying to learn about grading and was not looking for anyone on the forum to officially grade this coin. I was just looking for opinions.

Thank You.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

PCGS does not clean coins and if they restore a coin you must ask them and pay for it. The coin has clean lines and PCGS doesn't do that anyway.

Paul

#7 Unread post by Paul »

If you spend some time at each of the TPG's websites, and really search around you ..... will find all of their services (what they do as well as what they don't do), and what they charge for each.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Scubaredneck
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#8 Unread post by Scubaredneck »

Very definitely cleaned. It also has some rim damage, I believe, visible at about 10:00 on the obverse. Nice coin, though. eBay sold auctions for MS Details will give you a good idea of value
The Scubaredneck