Grade series collection?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
JCB_PHD
Coining Around

Grade series collection?

#1 Unread post by JCB_PHD »

I have recently been toying with the idea of building a collection that would keep me busy for awhile. But, type collections or a date series have been done to varying degrees by tons of numismatist. I’m looking for something more unique. Anyone ever seen, heard of, thought of or have a denomination-specific, date specific, mint-specific grade series. That is, a collection of a particular coin from a specific date and mint, with a specimen in a broad range of the different grades (from P-1 to MS-70). It’s kinda like what a one looks at to learn what different grades look like for a type of coin, but most of those as online or in book photo sets include several different date and/or mints.

My thoughts are a) you need a coin that has been around awhile to get worn enough so the lower grades exist, b) have a higher mintage number to be able to get the range of differing grades, and c) be interesting enough to collect (although that is pretty subjective).

Thoughts on such a collection? Should they all be raw, slabbed, little of either? If all slabbed, all with the same TPG?

Thanks for entertaining my thoughts,
Chris
Doc Ball

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: Grade series collection?

#2 Unread post by Paul »

:welcome:

I'm going to have to make a comment here a little bit later, I'm busy right now
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

JCB_PHD
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by JCB_PHD »

Look forward to hearing you expert opinion, sir.
Doc Ball

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

Why not? I collect images of coins like this for my photograde.

Paul

#5 Unread post by Paul »

Collecting can be very personal. Of course when I started back in 1970 my interest was varieties.
Not having a lot of money as a young child, I was forced to go with the lower denominations 1st.
My specialty is Flying Eagle Cents, & Indian Head Cents.… Although my favorite coin, or I should say favorite coin 'Design' is the Standing Liberty Quarter, also known as the SLQ.

Unfortunately in today's greedy world there is an overabundance of individuals purchasing and reselling coins at breakneck speed.
I have found out in my dealings with thousands of people, everyone is an expert! … :s

Keep in mind, "coin collecting" was once considered a hobby by most…… with the very few elite individuals that possess large amounts of capital, that were/are able to make a profit within the business.
… Of course, in today's world, it's all about "Making Money"……….Unfortunately

I would recommend, that if you are just starting out, you give yourself a 'Fixed Budget' to start with. For example, how much are you willing to invest each month. The next thing that I would do, is to log onto 1 of the TPG websites, become familiar with prices, and select a coin design that appeals to you most.… Because if you don't like what your collecting, you'll never be any good at it!

THIS IS NOT A CHEAP ..... HOBBY/ADDICTION/INVESTMENT !!!

Of course, you will need to purchase the tools of the trade, obtain a great deal of literature, do a lot of reading and memorization, & stay current of the issues within the numismatic community.

I hope this helps as a start…
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Snyderart
Coin Collector

#6 Unread post by Snyderart »

Chris,

That is a great idea and would be a small manageable set to collect. I'm currently reading Q. David Bowers "A Guide Book of Lincoln Cents" and in it he talks about finding the right grade that fits into your budget. A good adaptation of that advice would be to find a good year to invest in for all grades that fits into your budget. Find the ballpark total of the entire set from posted coin prices and zero-in on a year to collect. Imagine trying to do a grade set like that of 1909S VDBs Lincoln cents!!! That would break the bank, well my bank at least. Find a year that has a decent strike quality and I'd go for the higher grades first, because they won't get cheaper as time goes on. Once you're over the hump of obtaining the higher grades, the lower grades should be easier to locate. I think it's a cool idea!

Good luck!
Gene

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

Good advice above!

Snyderart
Coin Collector

#8 Unread post by Snyderart »

Daniel wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:51 am Why not? I collect images of coins like this for my photograde.
Daniel,

I've been doing the same since hearing you mentioned it in one of your videos. Here's my Jefferson Nickel photos (from HA). I don't like the lighting that is used in the PCGS Photograde, as it isn't consistent across all grade examples.
Jefferson Nickels For Grading.JPG
Thanks Daniel!
Gene

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

I agree. I like your chart. Would be nice to use these like they are, then hover over the image and it pops up larger.

Snyderart
Coin Collector

#10 Unread post by Snyderart »

Daniel wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:54 am I agree. I like your chart. Would be nice to use these like they are, then hover over the image and it pops up larger.
That's a screenshot of the files in my Jefferson Nickels grading images folder. Each one is a high-resolution JPG file the I cropped, and edited from the HA site (only for personal use). I tried to pick coin images that were lit the same as some of the coin images on HA are lit from above the portrait and others from below the portrait and not consistent. I also grabbed several examples of each grade to average it out since one coin example can't really represent a grade.

I open them up in an image browser and flip through to zero in on a grade that looks like my coin, similar concept to PCGS Photograde, then double check it against the description in the ANA grading standards book. That would be a good idea to be able to hover over the grade you're looking for to make comparisons. Good idea!

Jsul77798
Coinasieur

#11 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

Just wanted to say I really like your idea and have never heard or seen a reference to a collection or set in a collection put together that way. With that said, I myself think its an awesome idea that would be affordable on a common date, possibly even for the poor1 and ms70. Might just try it myself!!! Great idea!!!