The problem using a USB Microscoes

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
DSCoins
Coin Guru

The problem using a USB Microscoes

#1 Unread post by DSCoins »

Sorry about how long this post is.
I am as guilty as everyone else when it came to using a microscope to search my coins. After a few comments by someone I will not name, told me a number of times I was trying to hard. At that tine my thinking was how could I be trying to hard, after all it was right there on the coin as seen? After this individual commented in some other posts about the use of microscopes while coin roll hunting I finally sat back to think about what was being said about using the microscope. When I first got into coin roll hunting all I had was my own two eyes and one of those clip on desk lighted (can't call it a microscope because it was just somewhere around 5x-10x). So in total I had 3 items to search with. One being my eyes the second being the deck clip on magnifier and three being another hand held magnifier. I can't tell you why because I don't know myself I bought a really cheep USB microscope. I discovered that I was actually missing things with the microscope I was catching with the hand held magnifier. Do to reasons I can't or will not get into but will say I had not been able to search since 2014. When I started searching again my loving spouse surprised me with new and better microscope.

So, that leads us to today. As I had mentioned earlier that this individual finally made me sit back and think about my approach into using the microscope. To put my mind to rest on this, I placed a incandescent light just off my right side, with it adjusted to the spot on my desk where I would normally search coins with just my eyes and the hand held magnifier *(note. I also tested it out with a lamp sitting on the desk and adjusted to a spot I would be able work comfortably. end note)* I than searched the coins on the microscope. I found a few odd things and some that I thought were really something. The next thing I did was search the coins with just my eyes, the first thing I noticed, was that as I moved the coin around in my hands is that what thought was something wasn't at all. OH I also used the magnifying glass, but I will get to that in a minute. Now back to my eyes. As I moved the coin around in my hand I was able to get a 3D look at the coin, where as with the microscope it is only seeing in 2D. To actually see a coin in 3D you need one that cost well into the 4 digit numbers. Where was I, I hate it when get semi off topic. OK, because of the magnification your not really seeing what is on the coin.

Now I will say some thing using the had held magnifying glass, I was basically like using your eyes, except it did enlarge the coin. Not only that but it would also let you see any luster (not seen on the microscope) All and all I found searching by eye with a had held magnifying glass works just as will. Now that I think of it, all my major finds were found with clipped on desk magnifier. A FS-1-1982-036, 2000 P WAM, and last my favorite one the 2000-P clashed die nickel.

I am going step down from soap now, understanding why a microscope should be the last thing to use when search. Along with under standing posting a full picture of Obverse and Reverse, but will not go there now.
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

SensibleSal1966

Re: The problem using a USB Microscoes

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal1966 »

Ok, well put. Ty for that post.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel »

Good post!

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

We all learn by experience. Thanks for sharing yours with us.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Coinnovice
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by Coinnovice »

Im green as a gourd. Matter of fact I only came here minutes ago.
Your post is my first one to read but as I came to seek more knowledge I found it in your post concerning coin microscopes. It sure clears up many of my misconceptions about this cheap usb scope I have. My great hope was to make better pictures with it, alas Im not faring well with that either. Thanks