Sell or not to sell

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
DSCoins
Coin Guru

Sell or not to sell

#1 Unread post by DSCoins »

Sorry this post is so long.
I am writing this post mainly for myself as I find writing things down helps me retain the information. Due to the fact this one is coin related, I decided to make it a post.
More than likely you first started searching rolls of coins to fill up a Whitman folder you have found or where given, with some coins already filled in. Or maybe it was the State Quarter program. No matter the reason, you may have decided to search only one denomination of coins. After some time, we all ask our self; I wonder if I can make money selling my finds on E-Bay, or create my own web page? So, you find an error or variety coin, you get all exited, because you decided to sell it on E-Bay.
Now comes the work to find out how much you can sell your coin for. Where to start? Well the very first thing you need to do is find out the grade of the of the coin. I AM NOT saying to send it in to be grade by TPG’s.
You can go to PCGS Photo grade and try to match your coin. Another good place is https://coinauctionshelp.com. You can also check how much your coin is worth at this link. Another place to find your coins value is https://www.pcgs.com/prices. There is also E-Bay SOLD listings. Now what did we find? Your variety or error coin is not listed at all, or at really high grades the coin is only worth maybe 3 cents over the actual value of your coin.
You are still thinking, I am still going to send this coin in to graded. How much do think it would cost to have your coin graded as variety or error? At a minimum through PCGS $65.00 and that’s not including insurance and posted to and from the grading service. Now everywhere we looked (I’ll use a penny), gave you a price of 5 cents. We now have payed some where close to 80.00 for one that worth 5, now we have net gain oopps not gain but a net loss of $79.95. So, you put it up on E-Bay way: no matter what anyone has advised you not to do. E-Bay auction is over coin sold for .04, now are net loss is $79.96, that does not count any E-Bay or PayPal fees. Basically, you need some deep pockets or partner who also as deep pockets to purchase the inventory you would need to sell and make a profit. Lastly Daniel has great videos on this very subject.
Yes, I have thought about it also and know I don’t have the startup capital. So I sit here searching through Lincoln cents enjoying the finds I get.
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: Sell or not to sell

#2 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Very well said and so true. It takes dedication and lack of social life lol: to make it work
Do it for the fun, enjoyment, and knowledge and eventually, you may stumble across some semi-valuable ones eventually.

We've all been there thinking we found something that must be valuable because there is no mention of it anywhere on the web!
So it must be extremely rare, right. NOT! It usually means no one has asked about this type of PSD (Post Strike Damage) before.
As a collector, I like ANACS because their holders are viewer-friendly (the label is visible without removing the holder from the box), they are the most affordable especially if you use show specials and they will attribute all varieties. Grading is still subjective though and I feel they grade conservatively, compared to PCGS or NGC.