No Cartwheel effect in DMPL, really?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Thesgguy
Coining Around

No Cartwheel effect in DMPL, really?

#1 Unread post by Thesgguy »

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for being an inspiration for my numismatic journey through your unbiased, and very educational youtube videos.
My name is Tan. I am a coin enthusiast from the city state of Singapore.

I should have written to your email directly but I guess by posting the question out here, all of your fans (including me) will be able to benefit from the knowledge which you may have have for us!

I will quote some sentences from one of your articles after studying the video "Robbed Of A DMPL Morgan Dollar? I Thought I Had A DMPL Buts PCGS Said No!"

Identification and Diagnostics of Proof, DMPL, PL Morgan Dollars
(Don't Let Ebay Sellers Fool You)

1. It also must be noted that the cartwheel affect in a Morgan Dollar's fields is caused by these striations on the die before it strikes the planchet. So, the less die striations, the smoother the die surface, and the more mirrored the fields of a struck Morgan becomes. The more striations on a dies surface causes more distortion in the reflectivity of a Morgan Dollar's fields and this is why a true DMPL coin with have deep mirrors without distortion a certain distance, and why a proof like mirror will have some distortion and less depth in the mirrored fields.

2. Only semi-proof like Morgan Dollars show a cartwheel affect, and this coin is just PL because the fields do not display the depth or contrast of a DMPL coin.

Are you saying that for true DMPLs, the cartwheel effect should not be visible (thus having cartwheel luster disqualifies the coin to be DMPL even with sufficient reflectivity)?

The reason for me asking is that I do have a certified DMPL which has the cartwheel luster, and manage to find some DMPL photos on heritage with cartwheels strong enough to show on the photos.

A little confused and hope to have your thoughts on this.

Many thanks!!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: No Cartwheel effect in DMPL, really?

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

You really can't see the cartwheel affect in an image, that comes with turning a coin. DMPL coins look like water, not the same as cartwheel but you're always going to have coins on the edge that will have some striations. Also I am sure you can find plenty of images of DMPL that don't look DMPL. I've see them in hand. Also cartwheel doesn't define everything on a Morgan Dollar, just one aspect of the coin.

My actual meaning is that a DMPL Morgan doesn't have the striations, and the more striations the more there's the cartwheel. I am sure if you turned the coin in the light a DMPL might look like it has it, but not like a non-DMPL coin.

Thesgguy
Coining Around

#3 Unread post by Thesgguy »

Yes.. you are right that the cartwheel is visibly different. My observation is that it is more subdue comparing to non-DMPL coin. The problem is, the reflectivity is a good 8 inches. I am kind of worried if the visible cartwheel means that striations must be out there and it is therefore going to affect the DMPL grading when I do a crossover (even with such a decent reflectivity).
What do you think?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

I can't offer opinions like this on DMPL coins, hard enough in person. I will say unless the coin is in an NGC or PCGS then it might not be DMPL anyway as far as crossover is concerned.

Thesgguy
Coining Around

#5 Unread post by Thesgguy »

Thanks...Its in an ICG slab.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

It's like rolling the dice don't know until you roll them.

Thesgguy
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by Thesgguy »

haha.. you are right