Electroplating and burnishing copper plated zinc planchets video

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Electroplating and burnishing copper plated zinc planchets video

#1 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Not sure if I've shared this link before but thought people might find this interesting.

Jarden Zinc Products produces the copper plated zinc planchets for the Lincoln cent. Its is an interesting process that I though everyone might enjoy seeing.
The electroplating process actually starts at the 55 second point in the fairly short video and the burnishing for proof coins follows a little while later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LOk_YJ ... c0l0bN6x7A .
This video is from their FB page from Dec. 5, 2016
(I was so happy to find a video of the production, I actually left a comment! happydance: )

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

Re: Electroplating and burnishing copper plated zinc planchets video

#3 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

You probably really enjoy it since it required no editing on your part, huh. happydance:

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#4 Unread post by Paul »

hugeeyes :trophy: :yourock:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Thanks Paul.
They had it buried pretty deep on their FB page. Took a lot of searching.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#6 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

http://bjournal.com/jarden-zinc-product ... tazn-llc/I have an update to the original Lincoln cent plating video for those that are interested.
The original video is no longer available that I could find... but I found another video (2015) from inside the baskets in the tanks (I think). It's either washing/annealing the blanks prior to plating or during the plating process itself. I noticed there are 2-3 small bubbles at the 1:14 mark of the video. Just to the left of center.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxMP3c_Nhzg

There is an interesting elongated item (with light bluegreen plastic handle) visible before starting the video and at the 1:02 1:25, 1:55 mark. 1:55 is one of the better views of it. Another one of these "Standard Danglers" might be directly opposite the camera on the other end of the basket.
Any ideas on what this item might be for?
And does anyone know how to save this video in case the Youtube video disappears again?

BTW- Jarden Zinc changed its name after being bought by the private equity firm, Los Angeles-based One Rock Capital Partners (Mitsubishi is the largest investor)
https://www.metalconstructionnews.com/daily-news/jarden-zinc-changes-name-brand-to-artazn

Here is a quote from the link.
"Greeneville, Tenn.-based Jarden Zinc Products LLC, a Jarden Process Solutions company, announced new company names and branding. Jarden Zinc Products is now ARTAZN LLC with its ARTAZN brand and domain artazn.com. Additionally, Jarden Process Solutions based in Greer, S.C., is now Jadex Inc."

"In May 2019, the organization was purchased by Los Angeles-based One Rock Capital Partners, a private equity firm focused on creating value by investing in high-potential, middle-market companies."
(Translation: 1 cent plachets will probably cost two-fifty before long.)

Uh oh! The mint thinks it's expensive to produce cents now. Well, give One Rock Capital Partners some time, and they're bound to reduce the price!! (Yeah, that's what "Private Equity" firms are known for? )
Here's another link for info on the company. Artazan LLC
http://bjournal.com/jarden-zinc-product ... rtazn-llc/

Hope everyone enjoys the video while we can.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#7 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

I have an update on the video in this link.

I have been told that this is part of the preparation process for getting the blanks to be copper plated and not the plating process itself. The surface of the zinc core needs to be properly cleaned and prepped. Since it had been found originally on the Jarden zinc site I thought that it depicted the plating process. My apologies for any confusion or misunderstanding.

(I still find myself mesmerized by the tumbling action. LOL)