Realistic coin dealer buy prices

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Jsul77798
Coin Collector

Realistic coin dealer buy prices

#1 Unread post by Jsul77798 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:30 pm

So as great as it is to sell your stuff on ebay or craigslist or wherever and get the best price you can for something, fact is, sometimes you need quick cash or at least would like to know values for planning. So without being subscibed to the graysheet, is there anywhere you can get a REALISTIC idea what a DEALER will pay you on a coin? I know blue book can be close, but its also not as consistant as it could be.
Thanks

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Realistic coin dealer buy prices

#2 Unread post by Daniel » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:52 pm

Ask for an older issue of the Gray sheet since it doesn't change much from month to month. Dealers will pay back of bid on sheet. How much depends on the coin. So just ask a dealer.

Jsul77798
Coin Collector

#3 Unread post by Jsul77798 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:02 pm

I will do that. Not sure if youve ever noticed but i may try to see if theres an average percentage off of say the monthly mag prices. Prob too many variables though. I like to value my pieces and search out deals based on bottom dollar, lowball, need fast cash prices. A lot of times those are reality. Not the redbook or coin world....lol...as im sure you know.....ok, thank you sir. Appreciate it and hope you and yours are well....

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:27 am

Being a full time dealer that travels to several small shows I can tell you what they're paying and 30% less than bid is the average unless it is a special coin like a key date or a coin with a better than average demand.