Civil War Tokens

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Civil War Tokens

#51 Unread post by Daniel »

I love them all, some I've had but not always the same die pair. Thanks for posting all these! :winnah:

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#52 Unread post by mhonzell »

F-239/421a (Our Little Monitor)

This Union ironclad depiction is awesome. Look closely at the front cannon and you can see the spray marks from the cannon being fired, the billowing cloud of smoke, the railing about the ship and the items on the ship's topside. You can just make out stripes in the flag and the skipjack flies sharply, as does the smoke trailing to the right, indicating the ship is at speed. Even the waves are unique compared to other water scenes on coins or tokens. (If you look back a ways in these posts, you'll find a picture of the crew sitting aboard the USS Monitor. The cannon dome is the same as depicted on the token.)

The token was designed by an unknown die sinker in the vicinity of the Waterbury Button Company. Most of the tokens designed by this sinker have a two-toned planchet where one side is brass-toned on one side and copper-toned on the other. (See prior example from same company.)

This token is also unique in how it presents the date. The reverse has both the Navy and Army insignia.
Attachments
F-239-421a-62RB (2).JPG
F-239-421a-62RB (1).JPG

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#53 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

Mark, Very nice. Interesting to say the least. Lots of unique detail. Is this one of your own?

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#54 Unread post by mhonzell »

F-97-389a

Here's a message from the Copperheads, the South sympathizers. Or, maybe just disgruntled by the high cost of war and wanting it to end for any reason. Designed by Emil Sigel, it carries finer details than most and survived really well.
Attachments
F-97-389a-64RB (2).JPG
F-97-389a-64RB (1).JPG

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#55 Unread post by Paul »

this one is my fav.....
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#56 Unread post by Daniel »

It's one of mine as well; the Civil War was a sad time in US History. Some people don't realize it was literally neighbor against neighbor and that your land could have been invaded anytime by the enemy, and your goods stolen, house took over or burned, wife and daughters raped and you might have lost your life in the process.

All that by fellow US Citizens. If you think the movie Purge was bad read the nitty-gritty on the Civil War.

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#57 Unread post by mhonzell »

I know somewhere back there I mention the Liberty Cap coming from the Greek empire. What you may not know is that there is some contention as to whether it was an American idea or French idea to place on "modern" coins. If you look at some of the early American coins you'll find that pileus stuck on a stick being held by Lady Liberty (Columbia.) And, since the French Revolution came after our revolution... well, let's just say I think it might have been an American idea.

As Daniel stated, a civil war is the worst type of war. We fight our brothers and neighbors. So this Copperhead message was pretty clear.

In case you think that is a repeat of the left-facing Liberty from tokens I've shown before, count the stars in the headband.
Attachments
F-5-288a (2).JPG
F-5-288a (1).JPG

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#58 Unread post by mhonzell »

Another Copperhead idea... End the War! This is Our Country. Later the message becomes, this is One Country.
F-230/352Ba

(Somewhere else you've seen the 352. The 352B has the fuse ports on the cannons.)
Attachments
F-230-352Ba (2).JPG
F-230-352Ba (1).JPG

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#59 Unread post by mhonzell »

(Forgot to put in the Fuld number... F-136/397a. Someone, someday, may search for this.) lol:

In 1863, the Union is not fairing well. The economy in the cities has broken down and after several attempts to institute emergency money, nothing has worked. Groups of "Peace Democrats" are becoming vocal about compromising with the South and ending the war. If only we would honor the original ideas of the Founding Fathers. My how the tables have turned over the years. These "Peace Democrats" were known as Copperheads and they used the one form of emergency currency that worked to protest the war with messages of Hope and Peace.

But, there were those who had had enough and answered with their own messages in token form and through the press. Andrew Jackson supporters threw down the gauntlet and Abraham Lincoln banished some to Confederate lines. (Andrew Jackson supporters founded the Democratic Party.) It was bad enough have a North / South war. Now the Union was fighting itself. (Reminds me of the Vietnam era coming to a close.)
Attachments
F-136-397a (2).JPG
F-136-397a (1).JPG
Union vs Copperheads.jpg
Last edited by mhonzell on Wed May 13, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Paul

#60 Unread post by Paul »

I LOVE THESE POSTS M..... :trophy:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep