Civil War Tokens

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: Civil War Tokens

#41 Unread post by Paul » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:06 pm

m, nice toke, medal orientation strike?
possible 're-used' die here?

C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#42 Unread post by mhonzell » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:49 am

No, it's coin orientation strike. 'Re-used', maybe... book says it was only used with the 355 and 360. Both are 'Not One Cent' dies. Guess I'll put it under the scope to see if it can be made out better. Maybe just planchet flaws looking like something exists. There are other die cracks evident, so could just be an illusion of a clash.

Paul

#43 Unread post by Paul » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:30 am

m,
i've been working on the LC "re-used" die, as my most recent 'project'.
:eureka:
it was NOT UN-COMMON to "re-use" a die....either a mis-hubbed mistake (like a doubled die, caught before use), or a 'worn out' (working) die. the 'die face' was ground off, & re-hubbed with the 'new face/design'. often, under very high magnification, you can still make out remnants of the underlying original design....very faintly....at the right angle/lighting. one key here is the micro-fine polishing lines that remained on the 'old die-face', when they 'final-polished' the die just before the new design was pressed in, that show up on/in the higher points of the new devices.
'seeing' oddball shaped wiggly, squiggly, straight, close shaped doubled, pointed,....so on, "shapes" that appear as light figures in the 'fields & devices', might/usually do indicate this 're-used die'......but, it takes a scope like mine to see/differentiate these.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#44 Unread post by mhonzell » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:47 pm

F-169/213a

The sinker for this pair of dies is unknown. On all other dies bearing a full cannon, there is a small stack of cannon balls sitting just in front of the cannon, but not on this one. The cannon points somewhat downwards, towards the ground. On the reverse, we have the Union flag, this time with only 12 stars (all the others have 25), and the liberty staff (flag pole) is splitting the date. After 10 versions of the standard message, “The Flag of Our Union”, it has been changed to “Stand By The Flag” and the 13 stars of the original colonies surrounding the flag have been removed.

Someone seems to be less hopeful that the nation will be restored.

The cannon should be rotated to be a coin strike, but it is actually about 100 degrees rotated clockwise.
Attachments
F-169-213a-62BN (2).JPG
F-169-213a-62BN (1).JPG

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#45 Unread post by mhonzell » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:37 pm

F-254/255a (Money Makes The Mare Go - Go It Buttons / Knickerbocker Currency)

William H. Bridgens is the die sinker for this humorous token. Like most of these die sinkers, they lived in the Lower Manhattan area.

The first tokens were made in Cincinnatti in late 1862. New York followed this idea in 1863 and the tokens were known as Lindenmeuller Currency. These were attributed to Gustavas Lindenmeuller, a barkeep. He made about one million tokens of various designs. Bridgens’ designs followed Lindenmeuller and were known as Knickerbocker Currency.

The phrase “Money Makes The Mare Go” is very old. It is sourced to 1609 in a British Museum:
Wilt thou lend me thy mare to ride but a mile?
No, she's lame goinge over a stile.
But if thou wilt her to me spare,
Thou shalt have mony for thy mare.
Ho ho say you soe
Mony shall make my mare to goe.

So the phrase means that if you are prepared to pay enough, most people will be willing to do something that at first they said they wouldn't or couldn't do “Knickerbocker” was a phrase that identified the Manhattan aristocracy and was later used to describe anyone from Manhattan. The funny part is that Diedrich Knickerbocker was a fictitious name created by an author to promote the sale of his book. So, I don’t know if the name is being used to say the currency was made in Manhattan, or if it is being described as fictitious. Maybe both.
Attachments
F-254-255a-62BN (2).JPG
F-254-255a-62BN (1).JPG

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#46 Unread post by mhonzell » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:12 am

F-110/442a (George Washington / New York (1 Star))

Glaubrecht’s Washington : Distinguished by having six stars to the left and right of Washington with the top right star being close to his hairline. The reverse is a simple tribute to George J. Glaubrecht’s home. He worked with Charles D. Horter, who made use of some of these Washington hubs.

Interestingly, Glaubrecht lived at 95 Fulton St., New York, which is right across the street from today’s American Numismatic Society.
Attachments
F-110-442a-64BN (2).JPG
F-110-442a-64BN (1).JPG

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#47 Unread post by mhonzell » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:14 pm

F-163/352a (Union / Union 61 76)

Scovill Manufacturing Company, which is still in business as a Fortune 500 company, outdid themselves on this design. I’d like to see this on a modern coin. Most of Scovill tokens have bold strikes. Unfortunately, ‘UNION’ comes across a little weak on most of these shields. On the back are the draped flags and crossed-cannons. Each cannon representing the Union as the winner of a war, 1776 (Revolution) and 1861 (even though the Civil War was still being fought.)

Miss Liberty’s cap flies high on the pole. In case you didn’t know, that cap comes from a much earlier time. It is the style of cap worn by freed slaves in the Greek Empire. In fact, it is not Miss Liberty. She wasn't invented until WWI. Until then it was Columbia (Roman goddess), hence the tie to the Liberty Cap. (The cap is most often assumed to be a Phrygian cap, but actually it comes from Greece as the pileus.) Columbia was a key figure in early America... District of Columbia, Columbia University and Columbia River. Even Jules Verne named his spaceship the Columbiad.
Attachments
F-163-352a-63BN (1).JPG
F-163-352a-63BN (2).JPG

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#48 Unread post by mhonzell » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:21 pm

F-48/299a

While similar to several of the earlier designs I posted, Columbia is facing right and the message is unique: "United We Stand, Divided We Fall". This is the only one of these tokens I have that shows bluish tones. And, while graded MS-63, the reverse is obviously weak. Notice the right strand of leaves... the deep "holes" where the leaves wrap around. And, on the obverse, the 'E' is 'WE' is a different size of letter.

So, I posted this token specifically because the '&' on the reverse was so blunted. Look at it closely, then look at the close-up of the F-196, between the date and the word "United". You can make out the blunted ampersand, in reverse. Can you make out the word to the right of it?

The ampersand, as well as a bunch of other items on the F-196, are incuse and reversed implying that a brockage occurred to this token, and then possibly the token was "re-used" to make the F-196. The bottom picture is my guess of outlines (yellow) and die cracks (red) found to the right of the ampersand. You can also make out that it continues under the '1' in the date. If you want to help with the rest of the coin, let me know.
Attachments
e.jpg
Brockage  (9).jpg
F-48-299a-63BN (2).JPG
F-48-299a-63BN (1).JPG

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#49 Unread post by mhonzell » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:58 am

F-141/307a (George B. McClellan / Army & Navy)

I've tried very hard not to repeat a single die in all these posts, even though some look the same. For instance, in this case, I have another Army & Navy reverse. Only a tiny bit different, this design is distinguished by the location of the left sword handle being under the 'N'. Others are identified by whether there are denticles, ribbon tied or not, location of berries on the wreath, plants used in the wreath, etc.

On the obverse is a fine portrait of George B. McClellan, the Democratic candidate for president in 1864. Abraham Lincoln removed him from command after he failed to capture Richmond. He went on to serve as governor of New Jersey. That moves this token into a sub-class of tokens known as a political token. A kind of campaign token of which there are only a few.
Attachments
George McClellan.JPG
George McClellan.JPG (20.83 KiB) Viewed 1694 times
F-141-307a-62BN (2).JPG
F-141-307a-62BN (1).JPG

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#50 Unread post by mhonzell » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:38 pm

F-191/443a (Pro Bono Publico / New York)

Well, this is it... I have no more, at least for some time as this has been a collection of the "easy" ones to get. 44 different dies out of the 537, or so possible dies. All patriotic tokens. Any that follow are much more difficult, or costly. As the obverse on this token states, "Pro Bono Publico". I have presented this thread as a means for those searching for Civil War Tokens to find some examples and some information on them. Even Daniel's pages are a bit limited on the topic, so I hope this helps. (Thanks for your patience.) I have placed some questions within the thread that I also hope some will chase down.

Another Sigel design, on the obverse, you again see the use of the Union shield, which you also find on modern day cents. This time, with 13 stars. The large five point star is associated with freedom and the designation for statehood. On the reverse, the "New York" logo. This time in small letters, but again, a tribute to the location where most of these tokens were being generated.
Attachments
F-191-443a-63BN (2).JPG
F-191-443a-63BN (1).JPG