Maybe a counterfit Morgan?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Soaru678
Coin Collector

Maybe a counterfit Morgan?

#1 Unread post by Soaru678 »

I just purchased at an auction a few morgans and this included an 1884 CC morgan. It was in a cardboard and plastic holder. So as I was examining the coin I began to notice several discrepancies. For one I weighed the coin and it is 25.1g. The photo of this coin was a little bit out of crisp focus and initially it looked good. So I bid on it and got it. I thought a reasonable price if the coin was a MS62 or even MS60. So Then examining this closer I noticed two small round bumps one in front of the forehead and another equal sized at the lower portion of the E in E * PLURIBUS The wear patterns on the coin are not right to me also. The reverse has pitting on the right of the eagle and on the right wing and a lot of details are more worn than normal. The surfaces seem to have been bead blasted or something like this.

So I am asking all of you guys to chime in and let me know if this is a fake.

Tom
1884 CC Morgan.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Maybe a counterfit Morgan?

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

100% counterfeit, get your money back as soon as you can.

Soaru678
Coin Collector

#3 Unread post by Soaru678 »

Thank You Daniel. I will let you guys know.

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Earle42 »

Ditto - terrible fake.
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Soaru678
Coin Collector

#5 Unread post by Soaru678 »

The auction company contacted me today and they are willing to work things out. BTW it was not a ebay auction.

JTCC
Coin Guru

#6 Unread post by JTCC »

Soaru678 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:16 pm The auction company contacted me today and they are willing to work things out. BTW it was not a ebay auction.
sounds great! hope you get your money back!
U.S. cent lover!

Coin Mule
Coin Wizz

#7 Unread post by Coin Mule »

Soaru678 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:16 pm The auction company contacted me today and they are willing to work things out. BTW it was not a ebay auction.
Hey S, man I hope it works out for you. The coin industry has kind of always had its frauds and fraudsters, even in the Gold rush days there was Iron Pyrite. I have even known of some unscrupulous coin club members that sold wizzed coins (no not that kind of Wizz) to youngsters who were also members of the club. Now how bout that Bernie Madoff 😜 I wish you well.
The Coin Mule
NGC Member
CONECA Member
mintstate.com User
NGC Registry Set Rank #70
(Kennedy Half Dollars, Silver, 1964-1970, Circulation and Proof Issues)
CONECA Attributed 1878 P 8 TF VAM 23 TOP 100 SLOT 5
CONECA and ANACS MS62 Attributed 1882 CC VAM 3 A
CONECA and ANACS MS64 Attributed 1900 P VAM 4
ANACS 1884-O VAM-37A2 MPD
ANACS 1891-O VAM - 10
[glow=red]Resident Lone Haranguer [/glow]

HallMarkedStack

#8 Unread post by HallMarkedStack »

Darn man, I’m sorry but after looking at your 1884 CC photos, everything on it looks wrong.
The CC mint mark is off
The date numbers are off
It doesn’t look right. Hopefully your able to get your funds back.

Soaru678
Coin Collector

#9 Unread post by Soaru678 »

Well, I got lucky. The auction house is going to refund all of what I spent on this coin. Lesson learned on this one. Not saying I wiil not make more mistakes but maybe fewer and less expensive.

finalfantasy
Coinasieur

#10 Unread post by finalfantasy »

unbelievable the amount of fakes out there.