Question: War time Nickels - Silver or Clad? Is there a way to tell which metal

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Justice41ca
Coinasieur

Question: War time Nickels - Silver or Clad? Is there a way to tell which metal

#1 Unread post by Justice41ca »

Before you say the mint mark.......... I know that but there are errors that are on both coins.

Example: 1942 Type 1 5c Struck on Silver Alloy Planchet - with no mint mark above the dome:
Example: 1942 S War 5c on silver Alloy Planchet - The mint mark located where it was on the 1941 S beside the dome:
Example: 1943 D War 5c on Copper Nickel Planchet - Correct Alloy would have been the Silver Alloy.

There's a 1944 and 1946 error also but I think I have given you enough examples to see I am trying to figure it out on my own. Keep reading please.

They both weigh the same 5 grams. I can't tell that way. Then there is the tissue test - I don't know what I am doing wrong but I have never gotten that one to work with any coin.
I don't have access to the machine that will tell you the metal (even asked my boss) or the composition of the coin.

Here is what the book tells me: "it will take some time to tell the differences in the color between the Silver Alloy War Nickel vs the regular Copper Nickel. I have set them side by side you all know I don't have a trained eye yet. As far a ring your supposed to be able to hear.... I drop a regular silver coin I don't hear a ring. Is there something I am missing?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated as I am tired of embarrassing myself. Thank you in advance.
Jeanne (signed my name so some can see I am not he; I am she) LOL 😂
Jeanne

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Question: War time Nickels - Silver or Clad? Is there a way to tell which metal

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

I know you think you've thought of everything and would like to steer us in how we help you here, but problem is you didn't post any images here. Also, no one can help you with metal composition of your coin using images. You need to send it to Paul or someone at CONECA. We can't help you any further than that, so topic is locked.