Help with Identification of Hard Time Token - Franklin Observe

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Stewarts1983
Coining Around

Help with Identification of Hard Time Token - Franklin Observe

#1 Unread post by Stewarts1983 »

Image (1).jpeg
Image.jpeg
I would appreciate any help with identifying the above coin that was given to me by a relative. I know it is a hard time token from the 19th century, and that the small dog is just a counterstamp, but I cannot determine what type of hard time token it is exactly or what it is worth, if anything. The reverse is blank.

Thanks! StewartsOB

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: Help with Identification of Hard Time Token - Franklin Observe

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

Hello, Welcome board!
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Triple C
Coin Wizz

#3 Unread post by Triple C »

Hi...As you know, Tokens are difficult to identify especially if the reverse is not struck or worn down. However, your token has the same obverse as the Designated HT - 280, according to PCGS:
Screenshot_20211122-130724_Chrome.jpg
Hope that helps you!

Stewarts1983
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by Stewarts1983 »

This is quite helpful thank you! I’ve searched all around and still have no idea what this is worth. My guess is between $20 and $100.

Triple C
Coin Wizz

#5 Unread post by Triple C »

Well, it will vary on condition. Token HT-280 is listed by PCGS with an auction record of $4,230 in MS62 at Heritage Auctions:
Screenshot_20211123-132508_Chrome.jpg
However, it is listed by Coinappraiser.com with an estimated value of $1,500:
Attachments
Screenshot_20211123-132801_Chrome.jpg

Funky Strike
Coinasieur

#6 Unread post by Funky Strike »

I really like tokens - and I'm trying to learn too - I always seem to over pay for them - but it's fun so why not!

I tried to look your token up - not much out there - but Like Daniel always says - Heritage sold Auctions often has as similar item sold and you can get an idea (a nice one went for a lot!). Here here a couple I found and also some info on the token:

https://coinappraiser.com/coins/new-yor ... es-tokens/

Value of New York, New York, Benjamin Franklin Hard Times Token
This Token Came From – Benjamin Hooks Hat Store
This token typically receives the Hard Times Designation of HT-280.

The obverse text reads “Benjamin Franklin Bale” and the reverse text reads “B. Hooks. 276 Broome Street Corner of Allen St.” The obverse of the token shows a portrait of Benjamin Franklin facing towards the left, and the reverse is covered in text.

In general, tokens can be very hard to identify. The minting process was very inconsistent, so there were often several varieties of one coin.

It looks like NGC will grade it - but with the Reverse missing - not sure what it might be worth?

Hope this helps!

Michael - The Funkmeister
Attachments
01.jpg
02.jpg

Stewarts1983
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by Stewarts1983 »

This is ridiculously helpful. Thank you!