TPG toned coins

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Jsul77798
Coin Collector

TPG toned coins

#1 Unread post by Jsul77798 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:50 pm

Am making plans on best way pieces and ways to submit examples for highest TPG scores. I really love a nice colorful toned coin, who dosent. Im curious of others experiences where the tone has helped or hurt a coins score. Are certain color schemes, depth of color and their paterns favored over others? Like multi raimbow around the perimiter over a nice overall even blueish purple as an example. I appreciate any feedback...
thanks

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: TPG toned coins

#2 Unread post by Daniel » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:32 pm

You should be calling PCGS and NGC with these questions or look up toned examples that have sold at Heritage or Stacks and Bowers. We don't have inside track information on toning and what the TPGS think is better.

Jsul77798
Coin Collector

#3 Unread post by Jsul77798 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:01 pm

I was hoping for feedback from others that have considered this stuff and the experiences theyve where it relates to these issues..so much nuance to it.....like a discussion with other collectors rather than a textbook answer.....
thanks Dan!!!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:51 pm

The thing is no one knows this answer because it falls under opinion and the graders don't down grade a coin because they don't like the toning or because the toning is pleasing. You can get a star on NCG and a plus on PCGS if the coin has exceptional eye appeal, but doesn't effect the over-all grade.

Your best bet, considering the topics you have started, is to just send them off and find out, then share what happened.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#5 Unread post by PetesPockets55 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:47 pm

I love toned coins as well.
All the slabbed examples I have seen had them labeled as Brown or possibly a red/brown.