Search found 97 matches

Return

by Paul
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:40 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1863 ihc

Keep in mind, some graders will give large deductions for "Prime Focal" interruptions.......JMO
by Daniel
Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:41 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1863 ihc

Maybe but those marks in the focal area is what did it, still a nice coin.
by DSCoins
Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:59 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Magnification vs Resolution

In an earlier post I asked Paul about the Magnification he used when taken some photos of a coin he looked at for me. He stated that it was not the Magnification but it was Resolution of the photo. It took me while (long while), to completely under stand what he meant. Although I may have to search...
by Paul
Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:34 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1973 D DDO

correct.....
I believe what you are seeing here is a combination of "die cavity deterioration", and "reflector doubling"...... in your images
by Daniel
Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:52 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1879 cc vam3

SilverMike wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:04 pm Man I have alot to learn. I don't even know what a VAM is ...
It's a variety an an acronym for the two man's names that wrote the book on Peace and Morgan VAMS. Go to vamworld.com
by Daniel
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:35 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Doubled Die Coin Or Mechanical Strike Doubling Or Die Deterioration?

Here's my video for doubled dies versus strike doubling and I recommend anyone to watch my video to learn about doubled dies. https://youtu.be/grt_QNpURuQ

[bbvideo]https://youtu.be/grt_QNpURuQ[/bbvideo]
by Daniel
Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:39 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1980D LINCOLN CENT ERROR

Looks like a homemade "error" to me, I am seeing pressure points on the "wire" that looks like something small was used to pound it into the coin's surface.
by Daniel
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:56 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: If it doesn't fit anywhere else.....coin shows?

coinzip.com is a great resource for what and where shows are.
by Daniel
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:22 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1855 Braided Hair Large Cent Knob on Ear

These coins are not plated it's just been rubbed in the past, it's fine. Here's my video on counterfeit large cents
by DSCoins
Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:31 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: penny weight question

As far as I can remember up until 1908,the UK minted the coins for Canada. I do not recall the US ever making any coin for them at all. There is one case in which the San Francisco mint minted a 1970 Washington Quarter not on a blank planchet but over a 1941 Canadian Quarter. a Mike Byers had it up...
by Paul
Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:16 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: penny weight question

Yes, just the date and the weight of the planchet I think the Canadian ones weight more now. seems odd. How would the mint know if an employee tossed a Canadian planchet in the mix and, other than a mint record, would there even be a way tell if it was Canadian, Eh? I believe the only way you could...
by Daniel
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:33 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Car wash quarter - Alaskan "6th claw" bear

No it's not an extra blob just and indented mark from contact.
by Paul
Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:16 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1982P LINCOLN CENT DOUBLED DIE OBVERSE

...........Reflect Doubling ??? ....... :dunno
by Paul
Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:34 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Listing On 2x2's and Flips.

Across the top I write the year and mint mark...
Across the bottom I write the variety number or mint error, if any.....
by Snyderart
Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:57 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sorting Keepers From Spenders?

Hello everyone! This is my first post here besides my introduction post. Thanks for having me aboard! 20191114_214312.jpg In October, I asked a friend who isn't a collector if he had any spare change laying around to sell to me and he said, "I have a few pennies". The "few" penni...
by Daniel
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:16 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Sorting Keepers From Spenders?

Congrats on the Wide AM and yes coins with no wear would be UNC but they need to be MS67 and up to be worth saving.
by Daniel
Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:19 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1965 Jefferson Nickel

The coin is a business strike and not an SMS, they're not going to be found in change or rolls and were never released. SMS have a completely different finish than any coin released plus die markers.
by Making Cents
Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:28 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1944 portuguese coin found in the coinstar return slot

Copper/nickel.

seen a few on EBAY for 10 to 15 dollars, but they are in much better condition.
by Snyderart
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:28 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I am sorry I cannot help you with the grading question. Daniel or others on here will have much better help with that. But 173 pounds, what a great discovery. That reminds me, my mail carried was suppose to get with me with a bunch of pennies.. But anyway, great find, I wouldn't throw any out right...
by Snyderart
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:39 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I guess I missed the fact that you found a wam. Awesome, congrats. I have been looking for a wam and cam for a long tme. You don't know how many resumed finds these guys said that weren't when I posted one I thought that was many years ago. I am still looking pennies a bazillion, me 0. I took a lit...
by Making Cents
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:59 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

6 months of coinroll hunting cent coins

I thought I'd share what I have found at the 6 month point in trying to build a Lincoln cent book collection, from just coin roll hunting. This has been an exciting journey to say the least. Found quite a few error/variety coins as well (posted in the error/variety forum). The finds are extremely di...
by Making Cents
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:14 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What is it? Japanese, chinese, korean??

What, it says "coin expert" under your screen name...

just kidding LOL.

thanks again for identifying the coins origin. Have A Great Day..
by Making Cents
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:58 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 6 months of coinroll hunting cent coins

Good luck PAHWA, I wouldn't consider searching BU OBW or FED rolls cheating as long as your searching rolls. I got lucky a few times, when I picked up some boxes and the teller told me that guy just brought in his mothers coin collection after she passed away and the teller set them aside for me wit...
by BABAKAFSHAR
Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:49 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1965 Jefferson Nickel

Thank you,I am just learning about coins and I bought some rolls and in all , this one has a shiny background I was thinking it may be a sms coin and like all other things and mistakes that happened in the US Mint mr Daniel I taught it could be another one (doesn’t hurt to ask) thank you
by Daniel
Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:12 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Incredible, Fantastic, 1 of a Kind, **NEW VARIETY**

Nice coin. I would send it to Wiles or someone who can label it as a new variety at CONECA.
by Daniel
Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:30 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1852 d gold $1

I am glad you posted better images. It looks to be plated. You need to take that to a dealer to look at in hand. The plating looks broken off these coins are a solid alloy and don't have an inner core.
by Djaramillo2911
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:08 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wow.... How exciting!! You can never be bored or say you have nothing to do... Lol
I get excited just searching through a single penny roll!!!

Have fun with your findings
by Paul
Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:42 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1852 d gold $1

Daniel wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:30 pm I am glad you posted better images. It looks to be plated. You need to take that to a dealer to look at in hand. The plating looks broken off these coins are a solid alloy and don't have an inner core.
I saw that also ..............
by BABAKAFSHAR
Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:46 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

You got it right so far. An AU coin is the one that has some minor wear on the high spots and can be without any dings or scratches and MS coin has no wear on high points but can have a lot of dings or contacts mark from other coins during the handling and... most important things in grading them is...
by DSCoins
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:37 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

TPGs grading are really confusing on what they are doing

I really can't figure out what goes though a graders mind when (He/She/They) look at a coin. I have been trying to get my coin area all squared away (set up better), cataloging my coins etc... I opened a box in which there were approx. 15 ANACS graded Peace Dollars which were sent out way back in 2...
by Daniel
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:42 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1968 proof

The coin is not a proof must has an S mint mark to be a proof for this year and I don't see a DD and no mint mark anywhere else. This is a spendable, business strike cent.
by Paul
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:21 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1976-S Bicentennial Kennedy Clad Proof DDR FS-801?

:welcome:

You may be hugeeyes "Reflect Doubling" here ...........................
by Daniel
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:10 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I don't see any thickness of the lettering.
by Paul
Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:55 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1967 Lincoln Cent (Date looks like 196T)

:thumbsup: close-up images

I'll go with PMD ....
by Daniel
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:05 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is this a bad planchet or something else ??

This is post mint damage, I can see smashed metal and flattened features where someone used pressure to rum along inside the rim. Something hard and blunt. Thanks for the extra images.
by Daniel
Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:15 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No extra metal on the coin, extra metal would not be raised on the coin, die deterioration causes the die metal to move and warp but it's the same metal. Doubled dies are thickness but not extra metal and this isn't die doubled.
by DSCoins
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:28 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1968 proof

It's not a proof. A proof is a die finish that when it strikes a coin it imparts this finish on a die. You coin is a regular business strike coin and they didn't misplace the mint mark on these coins. :agree: Don't know where this misprinted and misplaced mint mark came into being, but if you are b...
by Daniel
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:15 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1967 Lincoln Cent (Date looks like 196T)

I was there one time and why I have a huge collection of various damaged coins. If it was something I couldn't figure out or understand my interest would not stop either. I am not sure if you have watched them but I created three videos on damaged coins, and many of them have misplaced metal and suc...
by Paul
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:48 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1969 -D

Technically,......... if it's imaged properly, I only need one.
..... Keep in mind, "lighting" is the key here.......

hugeeyes :eureka:
.... Having the 'light source' at an extreme angle to the coins surface is necessary.