Jump to topic

Neat Over-date coin

Just picked up a nice over-date

by CaptJohn2
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:12 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ejection damage ?? or post mint ??

I just got this and cannot figger out how the rim got this damage. Almost looks like denticles . The edge of this type is lettered so no reeding.
1918d.jpg
1918e.jpg
by CaptJohn2
Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:21 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

a cool over-struck coin

This 1805 Skilling from Sweden is struck over an 1740-50s (can only see the first digit of the 2 ore's date) 2 ore coin. Soon after in 1820 the skilling was much thinner but same diameter.

1805 = 27.4 gr
1820 = 16 gr
1824a.jpg
1824b.jpg
by CaptJohn2
Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:37 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Interesting find 1964 Lincoln penny, comments please, thanks!

I think it will be very unlikely that we will see copper graded accurately by a machine as to color. Maybe in a hundred years. My "NO" meant it would cost far more to have certified (slabbed) than what the value would be. Learn to grade raw coins yourself. Then follow Daniel's videos on ho...
by CaptJohn2
Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:24 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

BEWARE of "NGC & PCGS" coins in auctions that say this....

..." Your winning item will match the quality of the product shown. "

In other words they do NOT have the coin shown! No doubt picture stolen from the Internet. If they have a legit PCGS or NGC coin they will show the holder and serial number.
by CaptJohn2
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:02 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What to collect??

The world is yer oyster How about collecting a series of silver coins made for nearly 100 years, all with low mintages. Last produced in1967. Too expensive ye says?! Well check out Swiss silver francs and half franks from 1878-1967. Most are very inexpensive in VF and even BU in later dates. A coupl...
by CaptJohn2
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:49 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Should I crack it out and get it certified? full RED

Naw. But since we should all have watched the many videos by Daniel about if it is economical to send a coin to PCGS, I thought I would have some fun with ye Coin Helpers.
2184a.jpg
2184b.jpg
by CaptJohn2
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:11 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New pickup from Northern Nevada Coin! :)

Very nice. Hard to find a circulated one that old without problems. Yours jest has nice honest wear with no problems.
by CaptJohn2
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:07 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How to avoid bad Internet sellers & find good ones

Here are some things to look for in sellers you should avoid. Feel free to add to this list: 1. poor pictures - so many sellers have terrible pictures. Some so tiny you cannot even tell what the date is. Others too blurry for you to tell the grade or if it is fake. 2. Poor Feedback. If several othe...
by CaptJohn2
Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:10 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: How to avoid bad Internet sellers & find good ones

But don't keelhaul a swab if'n they shipped promptly but you got it late. Why did I just read/hear you saying this in a pirate's voice????? I can't undo this - arrgghhh! What did ye expect with that avatar o' mine? Did ye never sees me listings on eBay? Here is a short quote that is on all my listi...
by CaptJohn2
Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:01 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2010-D error? "Ghost letters"? looks like notching on letters of reverse?

The "G" in God looks like something other than machine doubling. Lets hear from some experts.
by CaptJohn2
Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:45 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

"How much does it weigh?"

This was the title of an article I penned back in the 1980s when I was editor of World Coin News. I was very active in buying and selling silver when the Hunt Bros. tried to corner the market. The article was about those days. When you took your silver in to the local coin shop in 1980 (mine was in ...
by CaptJohn2
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:52 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: To grade or not to grade

NO! It is very common in that grade and I doubt you could ever sell it for $1
by CaptJohn2
Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:37 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I jest don't understands ...

Yet folks keep posting on this web site every day wanting to know if they should have dirt common coins sent in for certification. They usually say "graded" but they can learn to grade themselves using the many tools available. What they really want to know is can I make money sending it i...
by CaptJohn2
Sun Feb 14, 2021 2:06 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Why not put a price on it?

You have a coin you want to sell. Why pay a bunch in fees to have a raw coin certified that you know is genuine? Let the next owner do that if he is so inclined. If you have a price in mind fer a raw coin, just offer it at that price. If'n there are no takers, that probably means the grade you thoug...
by CaptJohn2
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:56 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is PCGS a Vindictive Company ?

Arrrrgh! Another good reason to keep me swag un-slabbed!
by CaptJohn2
Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:58 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rim errors?

obvious post mint damage
by CaptJohn2
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:03 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: LOOKING FOR BOLIVIAN COINS 1827-1908

just missed by a year!
1395a.jpg
1395b.jpg
by CaptJohn2
Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:32 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

King turns hippy - grows pigtail

Well but it is a funny die clash
0895c.jpg
0895a.jpg
0895b.jpg
0895d.jpg
by CaptJohn2
Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:26 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

New video "A Scary Coin Grading Service Mistake That Could Cost You"

Lucky for the seller of this coin, I wasn't the only one that spotted the incorrect description. I thought I was going to get this mis-identified rarity cheap. Didn't happen and I paid more than I wanted to. Anyway the label says LDLL (Large Date Large Leaves) which is the most common variety for th...
by CaptJohn2
Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:50 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New video "A Scary Coin Grading Service Mistake That Could Cost You"

The Slabosaurus is on the prowl. Searching fer soft tender newbies whats got more doubloons than sense.
by CaptJohn2
Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:14 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What ever happened to NCLT?

When I worked at Krause, they used to have a special section in the catalog for Non Circulating Legal Tender (NCLT). But so many countries started pumping out "items" that were never meant to be spent, that Krause must have thrown in the towel on keeping them in their own category. To me, ...
by CaptJohn2
Sun May 30, 2021 4:41 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

WWII item on Memorial Day

Found my dad's short snorter in an old family bible. He was in the 8th Air Force in WWII. The 8th lost more men in WWII than the entire Marine Corps so I am lucky he made it back home safe. I wonder how many of the signers weren't as lucky. Remembering them on Memorial Day.
Short Snorter.jpg
by CaptJohn2
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:23 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Shipping Coins...

I use Auctiva to create my eBay auctions. They offer an insurance option which I use on anything over $100. Only had to file two claims out of thousands of packages and Auctiva made the process easy and I was paid the full amount. Just the opposite happened when I filed claims with USPS for non-coin...
by CaptJohn2
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:38 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1824 - 1949 Swiss Federal Shooting Festival Gold Medal

This town is located in the Canton of Aargau. Here is a beauty from there of a different era.
0919a.jpg
0919b.jpg
by CaptJohn2
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:48 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Some counterstamps are good....

...especially when done by the mint.
2556a.jpg
2556b.jpg
by CaptJohn2
Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:42 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Should I mention previous offers to a dealer if I have proof?

Wow! I wish I would get those kind of offers from Heritage. Showing the local dealer the offer, might save you lots of time.
by CaptJohn2
Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:21 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

you like die cracks? This must be the last one they struck afore...

..the die broke into pieces!

Crack starts to left of crown, goes all the way down the right side where it forks at the "R" and continues on to the date. Some other smaller ones as well.
2633a.jpg
2633b.jpg
2633c.jpg
by CaptJohn2
Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:08 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Is this 1853 large cent worth sending off for grading?

There are 33 Newcomb varieties listed on the PCGS website! Try to figure out which one you have. Then look at the price for that particular one. If it is less than $100 for an XF, I would not waste money getting it slabbed. Here is the PCGS website: PCGS site And they probably charge extra to ID whi...
by CaptJohn2
Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:36 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Going blind looking for DDR & DDO on PCGS site

I have been looking at Wexler's site mostly. And Coppercoins for my cents. I find plenty of close-up examples on there. Thanks Clint - I am also retired USAF (1967-88) Went to Wexler's and now I know why I couldn't see the doubling on the PCGS site. Will need to get an electron microscope - har!
by CaptJohn2
Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:15 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: double struck or struck over a completely different coin?

Triple C wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:49 am This is an 1826-Swiss Cantons BERN Batzen KM# 194.2.
According to NGC, these are found overstruck on 1 Batzen, KM# 87.
That is a nice looking one, btw. 👍
Thanks for the info!
by CaptJohn2
Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:31 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

No more guessing what you are buying

Here is an EScott Accurate View Video of my Swedish coin. Notice that there are light hairlines on obverse that might not show up on a static picture. I just hope lots of dealers start using this method. Much better than relying on little stickers inside slabs. I can make up my own mind as to grade....
by CaptJohn2
Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:06 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Fake PCGS holder and coin

I looked up the number and there is a real coin in a legit PCGS slab. See pix.

Trust your eyes not just little stickers
FakePCGS.jpg
FakePCGS2.jpg
realPCGS.jpg
by CaptJohn2
Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:28 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fake PCGS holder and coin

More fakes in fake PCGS holders. This guy is selling several different slabbed fakes . https://www.ebay.com/itm/225179826380?hash=item346dc378cc%3Ag%3A0x4AAOSw6C9jMfdM&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAkHsecsdQ%2FxYa0x0423GGgcV0Q1CWS8yNsC9Bqc0XWiVJp3ZVg%2FPJO0vKhvjZGFRA%2FkeWQ5PMwYsxfm3SM3LWP%2BbncJ9Bwp4Y36n...
by CaptJohn2
Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:41 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How could they do such a great job back then.......

....using only hand tools?

Provincial Rome tetradrachma 215-217
3934a.jpg
3934b.jpg
by CaptJohn2
Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:12 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Very long load times on Coin Help U

Got a new faster modem and this site now loads quickly. Thanks for all the suggestions.
by CaptJohn2
Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:58 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CAC to start grading coins.

Ben (The Coin Geek) sums up my feelings about slabs and extra stickers. It is a hoot! :lol:

https://youtu.be/QsQdLTxn9B4
by CaptJohn2
Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:51 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Unusual re-punched date on German coin

Not listed in any of my catalogs. Hard to find any newer Germany coins with a modified date. Heritage does have a slabbed coin similar to this one in current auction. Heritage coin https://coins.ha.com/itm/germany/germany-wilhelm-ii-1-2-mark-1919-d-ms63-pcgs-/a/61325-24469.s?ic2=myconsignmentspage-l...