My Most Recent Find

Are you awake?
Are you looking around?

:eureka:
I have found doubled die sewer caps,
doubled die street light post base covers,
doubled building signage,
doubled die storm sewer curb cuts,
.........It's all around you, just keep your eyes open ........
by Earle42
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:15 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Graded Coins

I talked with (only) two dealers who formerly were professional graders (admitted this was a few years ago). Neither dealer knew each other as they were both from different states. They both told me not to take their word fo it, but to do the homework myself. The PCGS video is a great marketing tool...
by Paul
Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:50 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Found coins in my own collection.

If I can make a suggestion........ :eureka: If/When you are selling "Raw" (not encapsulated) coinage,....... you place the coin in a flip, staple all 4 sides, and then on the reverse, use a unique color nail polish to seal the staple ends. You must also state in your listing, that if the ...
by wilkinsp21
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:16 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Something Cool I did and wanna share

Hello, I thought I would share this with you all, as I was very happy with the outcome of this project I did. I got a small coin holder frame and placed what we think is my grandfathers first coin ever, a 1826 Large Cent (He always loved cents and said his first was a Large cent, so this was the old...
by SensibleSal66
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:17 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2007 Lincoln cent - grey/silver in color - plating issue?

I wish I knew that . Maybe one of the "Zinc" experts knows. I just got done with 20 lbs of sorting and I've seen a lot of variations in color as well . I hate Zinc
by Paul
Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:53 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

It's quite possible this is just oddball toning..........
by Kris W
Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:44 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thanks, Paul - the dark side of me wants to put this thing on Etsy tonight for $15,000 - claim that it is a "ONE OF A KIND - MINT ERROR - ULTRA KEY DATE - EXTREMELY RARE - BLACK BEAUTY" for sale.! Nah - it will just end up in the "odd" pile of my many Lincoln cents. LOL Cheers. ...
by Kris W
Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:27 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

noun: caveat emptor The principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of goods before a purchase is made. Mr. Barnum was 100% accurate. What's really depressing is that there are obviously people with substantial disposable income that could take their money...
by Daniel
Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:59 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Getting off the coin subject. Capitalism is just an economic system but the most free system the world uses. All economic systems have issues and greed, it's not the system being used or that it is failing. Any I see a coin that could be on a thinner planchet and toned. Not anything worth grading or...
by Paul
Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:15 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Planchet Flaw or Mint Defect?

These look like "Lathe Lines" in your image?.....JMO
by Paul
Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:53 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1999 Conneticut 180 degree Rotated reverse quarter

Welcome.

Images please...........
(if you stand the coin on edge, with a mirror behind it, and you snap a picture from the front, you will be able to clearly see any die rotation.
by Earle42
Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:45 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A reason why you should buy the coin and not the slab

Speaking from a "weekend novice" perspective and not as an experienced numismatic, I am forced to rely on ONLY purchasing slabbed coins - there seems to be so many fakes/replicas out there (and overall shady people, in general) taking advantage of newer collectors. When I personally say t...
by CaptJohn
Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:42 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1983 S Proof KHD Doubled Die Obverse?

There are more posts here lately from folks asking about tiny errors (usually damage or something you need a 20x scope to see) rather than stuff about coins that collectors are actually interested in. Too many trying to win the lotto with parking lot coins.
by wilkinsp21
Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:39 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Question, where to get grab bags or bulk

These Grab bags are crazy good, and now there are 3 types, $50 dollar, $100 dollar and $200 dollar
by Daniel
Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:41 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cameos vs proofs vs value?

What I was trying to say didn't come out correctly but you're asking questions that can't be answered. I do have limited time to help, that's just the way it is. I do my videos for lengthy help. Have you noticed no one else has chimed in? How some of the questions are worded don't make a lot of sens...
by Paul
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:26 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Experienced Graders! Your opinion please

I'm just guessing that you are not aware that the "Grade" of the coin… Is in the serial number on the slab
by IdahoJ
Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:49 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Christmas Idea

I’ve been wondering of a way that I can introduce coins to my nieces and nephews. So I thought this year I’d buy them each a quarter coin album. The two older ones a National parks and the younger ones a state quarter book. They each live in different states so I’d start the books off with a quarter...
by Paul
Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:06 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1972-D Lincoln Cent - is it a DDO-002 stage B?

Your close-up images posted here are to determine the die doubling,....
You will need to adjust your scope angle and lighting to pick up on the surface conditions for die state

Possible mid to late MDS ?
by Daniel
Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:15 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Question, where to get grab bags or bulk

Thanks everyone! My dad is 86 and he puts these together so they're fun and surprising.
by Jaderose354
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:31 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just picked this up

This was so nice looking i had to share
by CincyGlenn
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:37 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fake 1893-O Morgan dollar

I would need to take the coin out of the holder and this might make it harder to return if the seller can’t identify the holder. The quality of the fake is good - I looked at it hard at the coin show - my mistake was not weighing it and checking the diameter at the show. If this website is okay with...
by wilkinsp21
Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:46 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Question about a Gift I just got

Oh yeah forgot about the "cleaning topic" part sorry.. I might not even use it to clean, but if where, I don't think this is the cleaning for it, or the dip i heard about.
I think I'll just give this to my parents for there Christmas forks and spoons etc...
by Earle42
Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:47 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Ring selfie light for coin photos ... it works!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp7DEJ5Vzmc&t=332s I watched this vid last week. Got on ebay and ordered a inexpensive version of the light (charges from USB - 3 brightness settings). Mine was 3.99, but I see the auction now says 4.99 and free shipping - so do some searching on eBay: Copy and p...
by Daniel
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:46 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ring selfie light for coin photos ... it works!

Very good video here. I will in it.
by karl.bursa
Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:13 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

V75 Silver Eagle Proof!!

Hey, crew! Hope you guys have been well! I finally got my V75 Silver Eagle Proof back from PCGS today; and man, what a stunner! The mirrored finish on this is just breathtaking! I put a video up of my unboxing on Reaper’s Roll Hunts on YouTube if you’re interested as well. Enjoy these gorgeous pictu...
by Earle42
Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:29 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Thought this penny looked cool

Poor Honest Abe took a hit to the temple.
by Earle42
Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:56 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ring selfie light for coin photos ... it works!

Nice pics. I am thinking when I try something shiny I will try the lowest light setting on mine or else use tissue to diffuse. Man this is so easy compared to what I used to have to do back in 2011 when I got back into coins seriously.
by wilkinsp21
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:27 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas all, It is early, but I will be away for a few days

was wondering if anyone had Christmas themed Coins?
by SensibleSal66
Wed Dec 23, 2020 6:37 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas All .
by wilkinsp21
Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:04 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Amishjedi wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:42 pm I am waiting on this bad boy to arrive - Christmas gift to myself - huge Star Wars fan and its silver to boot!

2020-star-wars-silver-seasons-2-new.jpg

Cheers - Happy Holidays to you & yours.
Oh that is cool, I got the Mandalorian coin
by Earle42
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:06 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Merry Christmas!
Clipart_Manger.jpg
by CaptJohn2
Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:49 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Should I crack it out and get it certified? full RED

Naw. But since we should all have watched the many videos by Daniel about if it is economical to send a coin to PCGS, I thought I would have some fun with ye Coin Helpers.
2184a.jpg
2184b.jpg
by Mrweaseluv
Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:05 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Should I crack it out and get it certified? full RED

It may sound silly, but it is probably worth MORE in the "casing" Items like that are often VERY sought after. The proper term for them is Exonumia, and can include encased coinage, flattened pennies/coins even "hobo nickels" fall into this catagory. A good example and my favorit...
by Paul
Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:07 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1959 silver penny/ wheat pennies

Welcome

Silver is not magnetic…
Viewing your images, this coin appears to be plated and in a bezel?
by Mike2000
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:17 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1982-D Sm. Date, zinc; Mintmark issues

Yeah I checked that one, checked coppercoins too.
by Earle42
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:19 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1982-D Sm. Date, zinc; Mintmark issues

I believe that is a well placed plating bubble due to its ragged look. Not an RPM.
by CaptJohn2
Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:07 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

How to avoid bad Internet sellers & find good ones

Here are some things to look for in sellers you should avoid. Feel free to add to this list: 1. poor pictures - so many sellers have terrible pictures. Some so tiny you cannot even tell what the date is. Others too blurry for you to tell the grade or if it is fake. 2. Poor Feedback. If several othe...