Search found 44 matches

Return

by karl.bursa
Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:46 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: hello everyone

:thumbsup: Welcome aboard! Fellow Noob here. Looking forward to sharing!
by karl.bursa
Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:18 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New to chat forums love learning about coins

Welcome aboard! Looking forward to sharing with you!
by karl.bursa
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:03 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Graded Coins

:thumbsup: Earle is now YouTube Famous!!
by karl.bursa
Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:12 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A great penny box!

Just got through hunting my first sealed box of loomis roll pennies and it was great! I wound up with 21 Wheat Cents including a 1911 - my personal record for oldest. Also found multiple questionable varieties I'll be uploading for you guys to help me sift through. I was really surprised because I w...
by karl.bursa
Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:41 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A great penny box!

@BMH - If you have friends you work with who bank in other places, try to have them pick up boxes for you. That's what I've been doing because my bank wouldn't give out boxes as well. It also helps spread out your dump banks so you're not recycling change :)
by karl.bursa
Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:08 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

1998 Wide AM!

One of my penny box finds. My first verified variety! happydance:
by karl.bursa
Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:22 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A great penny box!

Sal - 1988 has another Wide AM; but with that one, the trick is to look at the FG initials. If they are one design, they're correct. If they're the other design, it's the 1989 reverse on a 1988 coin. Also, 1992 has a Close AM variant where the A and M are touching instead of properly spaced. These, ...
by karl.bursa
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:45 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1992 close AM Penny?

Welcome, Joni! Daniel and Sal are right - there's too much daylight between the A and the M. I'm hunting for these as well, now that I have my Wide AM 1998 :) Good luck and welcome again!
by karl.bursa
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:33 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

1979 off-center strike

Got this 1979 off center in my last box. Is this enough to matter or within the margin of error and just a neat collection piece? Thanks! :confused:
by karl.bursa
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:20 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1989 Curved Clip

That's an interesting coin, Sal! Really cool, especially verified and in a holder with a grade.
by karl.bursa
Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:41 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

My Latest Acquisition and a note of Thanks

Folks: First off, this post is a thank you to the community. To Daniel for organizing this place and having patience with me during my initiation into the Coin Roll Hunting and Numismatic World, I thank you. To Paul, Sal, and Earle, likewise, thanks for helping out a noob on his journey. When I join...
by karl.bursa
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:02 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Feel Good Friday 1957 Blazer!

Hey, Crew. I hope everyone is doing well this Feel Good Friday! Just finished a 30-roll penny hunt and, though it wasn't as good as I usually do, I got this absolute BEAUTY of a 1957 D Wheat Cent. Enjoy! hugeeyes
by karl.bursa
Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:18 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

1972 Kennedy No FG

All right, guys. I have a 1972 Kennedy Half Dollar I need your opinions on. I remember Daniel talking about this one, but for the life of me I don't remember whether he said that it would still be considered a No FG if it was faint (and I do mean faint, here) or if there could not be any trace of it...
by karl.bursa
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:12 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Inherited collection

Sal's right. Don't clean them. And for sure add pictures of the Steelie. Those are always nice to see, especially in decent condition.
by karl.bursa
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:14 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1919 wheat penny

@Sal - 1919's weighed in at 3.11 Grams. Wear would explain at least some of the weight loss; but I would make sure the scale is properly calibrated. That's been my undoing multiple times.
by karl.bursa
Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:52 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1948 Quarter that weighs 4.6 grams??

Welcome to you! As a CoinAuctionsHelp Rule, when you get an opinion from Daniel, Paul, or Earle, and at least one of the other two agree, you can pretty much take it to the bank, figuratively speaking of course...
by karl.bursa
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:21 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Anyone read German? (Coin I.D)

"Ein Volk das Seine Geschichte nicht kennt, versteht Sich Selbst und Seine Gegenwarf nicht mehr" "A People who do not remember their history no longer understand themselves or what they stand for." Roughly paraphrased. The literal translation doesn't make as much sense.
by karl.bursa
Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:00 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1965 Quarter - Clipped or PMD?

"The Blakely’s Effect is a weakness on the opposite rim from the clip and is caused during the strike since the clip creates a slight inbalance of the coin while in the coining chamber. So if you see this effect then you know the clip was there before the coin was struck." The weakness or ...
by karl.bursa
Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:55 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New to coin help .Hi everyone

Welcome, Beverly! Post some pictures and we'll all try to help you out!
by karl.bursa
Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:54 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Just me.

Welcome, Mike! Good to have you here. Looking forward to seeing your finds!
by karl.bursa
Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:58 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1909 VDB Matte finish

Yikes! Great coin, Melody! First thing, as Daniel always says, go to eBay sold auctions to see what people are paying for this coin. PCGS Price Guide also has a link to recent sold auctions so you can see about what it would go for. Given the condition of this coin, you should be able to get more th...
by karl.bursa
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:47 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: An Example of Machine Doubling

Seriously excellent example. Thanks for posting!
by karl.bursa
Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:53 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Another mystery '97D Penny.

Hey, guys. I have a 1997 D Lincoln Cent with some weird raised bumps on it. They're not plating blisters - I've already tried to 'pop' them. Any idea what the heck these are? Looks like the President has a case of the chicken pox!
by karl.bursa
Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:04 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1998 D penny; old style FG on reverse

Hey, Mike:

That's not the older designer's initials. It is the correct font for the new ones. Take a look on PCGS's price guide and use 1988 as the example. The regular 1988 Philly has a good clear shot of what the initials looked like before the redesign. Good luck!
by karl.bursa
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:23 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

PCGS For The WIN!!

Hey, guys. I'm sure you recall a few weeks ago, I posted about a special coin that I was given to celebrate the end of my cancer treatment. I posted about it here and on Reddit and joked that I couldn't spend it and that PCGS probably wouldn't grade it. Well, someone from PCGS saw the post and conta...
by karl.bursa
Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:57 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Barber dimes

Just recently acquired a collection at auction - a 1959 album (Dansco, I think) with all the Philly's and about 30% of the Mint Marks and one separate tube of 100 coins. I got bit by the bug and wound up buying two more 100 coin rolls from a pawn shop in town. Barber Dimes (and Barber coinage in gen...
by karl.bursa
Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:59 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1976 quarter mint error HELP

I'm with Sal on this. Tell tale sign of PMD is that you can see the effects of whatever happened bleeding through to the other side, from what people on the site have told me. If you look between the motto and the date, you can see the damage line punched through vaguely. That said, that damage does...
by karl.bursa
Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:18 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: My best investment for Coins

I'm going to be completely shameless here - Daniel's website, www.portsmouthcoinshop.com, is magnificent. His service is great, his selection is terrific, shipping and registration is a breeze. If you don't have ready access to a reputable dealer in your area, I can't recommend Daniel and his shop h...
by karl.bursa
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:34 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Funny looking 1974 Lincoln penny

Hey, there. What you have here is environmental damage. I've come across several like these in my travels. The coin gets covered with something or comes into contact with something that turns it this color. It's Post-Mint Damage and not an error. That said, I have a collection of oddly-colored penni...
by karl.bursa
Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:33 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Upcoming U.S. Mint 75th Anniversary of the End of WWII Release

Hey, guys. I wanted to see what everyone thinks about the U.S. Mint's Gold and Silver Eagle proofs with the privy marks and the beautiful $25 coin and medal that are coming out this month. I'm going to try to get one of each of the Eagles; but what I'm REALLY looking forward to is the $25 Gold Coin....
by karl.bursa
Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:44 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Questions about a 1994 D penny

Welcome aboard, Dorian. 1994 pennies are fun year (the year I graduated high school, so kind of a special year to me). There are multiple doubled die errors on the reverse of the Philadelphia mint and Denver mint coins. They're not terribly easy to find, but when you do they're really neat to look a...
by karl.bursa
Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:15 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Questions about a 1994 D penny

The damage around the D appears to be Post Mint Damage. If you could send a picture of the reverse (the back of the coin) it would help determine that. I'm interested to see if the team thinks the gouge in the coin is a clip or if its also PMD. What say you, fellas?
by karl.bursa
Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:22 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1908 Barber dime mint error ??

HEY! I have that exact same error on an '07 :) Go to the mint errors page and take a look - "1907 Barber Dime Error". Daniel and the team said it's a grease strike. Mine is in way worse shape than yours, so it didn't add to my premium. Given the nice state your coin is in, though, I'd see ...
by karl.bursa
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:11 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 D penny, heavy abrasion obv/rev

That is SUPER interesting. The damage above the date on the obverse definitely has a suspicious look to it. Normally, I'd discount this as PMD, but I think you're right about the way the copper is situated. Gonna let The Trinity weigh in here. Daniel, Earl, or Paul? Thoughts?
by karl.bursa
Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:35 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 D penny, heavy abrasion obv/rev

I can't be the only one that just heard Daniel say his last post in his YouTube Personality Voice :) You're awesome, my friend!
by karl.bursa
Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:34 am
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Cheerios Penny!

I’m visiting my mom and she asked me to inventory her cons. She pulls this out and I almost fell over. I remember giving this to her and I fully expected her to just pitch it. But here it is, still in the original packaging 20 years later. Pretty cool!
by karl.bursa
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:42 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: grade for this coin and would it get FSB?

Hey, CoinBoy! Welcome to the club. So you're going to need a better light source. As it is, the images are too distorted by the light for us to give you a real opinion on the grade. You won't likely get the Full Band designation based on the last pic. They're really serious about no breaks and there...
by karl.bursa
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:45 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Got comments about this on FB. Thoughts?

So I have one of these, but mine has a more black tint to it rather than brown. I'm gonna lurk and reserve judgement on what the error is (if it's an error) until Daniel, Paul, or Earle chime in. As for the condition, this is a VF coin, based on my limited experience.
by karl.bursa
Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:47 pm
Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2019 Philly DDO worth grading?

Congrats on finding an error! Never a small feat given how many times I've chimed in (ask Daniel, Paul, Earle, and Sal) with what I thought was something only for it to be a Nothing Sandwich... LOLZ. Here's to ya'!