1913 S Lincoln Cent variety question

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

TyMenna
Coining Around

1913 S Lincoln Cent variety question

#1 Unread post by TyMenna » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:34 am

Hello All,
I have been doing some reading up on the different kind of errors and varieties. I have learned about a filled-die or grease error. Which only affects a few coins during a run and does not result in a variety. So, I have been noticing that some of the 1913 S Lincoln Cents seem to have a worn die or something which affected a lot of coins produced. Now if the issue is with the die and it is identifiable with the naked eye why is it not a variety??? Here is a photo of the issue in question.
Attachments
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

PALH1
Master Die Variety Attributer
Master Die Variety Attributer

Re: 1913 S Lincoln Cent variety question

#2 Unread post by PALH1 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:08 pm

my gotcoins: here ....

....that a "variety" is 'UN-intentional die manufacturing error',.....
that being said, ALL coins struck off that die-pair will be identical (with the exception of die-wear progression),
.....& will also show identical die-markers.

most of what we hugeeyes today are in fact "minting errors",..... but called 'varieties',... because a majority of individuals just don't know any better, due to a lack of education.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Unread post by Daniel » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:00 pm

It is either too common or no big name has attributed this as something like a "Broken O" and it looks more like damage even though it's not. Usually the die "difference" needs to be interesting and have a pet name to catch on and a run of the same needs to be found.

TyMenna
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by TyMenna » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:51 pm

Thank you!!! I will hold on to all my "Broken O" 1913s pennies...Just in case. LOL It must be rather common...