ANGS - Do not buy coins graded by ANGS!

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

ANGS - Do not buy coins graded by ANGS!

#1 Unread post by Daniel »

ImageImage
This coin is cleaned and would not obtain a mint state 63 from any reputable grading service. You can see wear on all high points of the design, and then some. The "fuzzy" appearance is from all the tiny cleaning lines all over it's surface, giving the coin an apprearace of luster.

This coin is also cleaned and has a great amount of wear, you can tell by the flat and rounded surfaces, and you can see the lines where it has been cleaned. The coin wouldn't even grade AU let alone mint state 65.

ImageImage
Another cleaned and circulated coin falsely graded as mint state.

ImageImage
This coin might make AU50, but again, it has been cleaned. Cleaning a coin by etching or scratching the surface or dipping lowers the value of the coin.

I advise anyone not to buy coins graded like this, put these people out of business, force them to be honest about their own coins. If no one bids on their coins then it might teach them that collectors have become educated graders, and that they must accept what everyone else get's for their cleaned coins.

Visit my Morgan Dollar grading page to look at pictures of actual MS65, non-cleaned Morgan Dollars look like Grade Morgans By Pictures

Isaiah

~

#2 Unread post by Isaiah »

Thank you for posting all of these. I agree, they are a very poor company, and I believe that they clean their own coins, in an attempt to justify the over inflated grade. I'm surprised that the local dealer who they grab the coins in his junk bin from, hasn't gotten suspicious by now. I don't buy their junk, and I don't support them. Stick with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd tier companies, not self slabbers. I just wish I could do more.

~Isaiah

dj_john69
Coining Around

Re: ANGS - Do not buy coins graded by ANGS!

#3 Unread post by dj_john69 »

I've been seeing a lot of these coins on eBay. I'm glad i didn't buy their garbage. Thanks for the info !!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by Daniel »

dj_john69 wrote:I've been seeing a lot of these coins on eBay. I'm glad i didn't buy their garbage. Thanks for the info !!
Your welcome. Thanks for commenting.

sdollarfan

#5 Unread post by sdollarfan »

Just an added note that this guy/company (whichever) also is selling coins
on eBay with slabs that display the "CNG" initials as well. I haven't seen
any coins on eBay lately from INB.

Isaiah

#6 Unread post by Isaiah »

sdollarfan wrote:Just an added note that this guy/company (whichever) also is selling coins
on eBay with slabs that display the "CNG" initials as well. I haven't seen
any coins on eBay lately from INB.
welcome to the forum, and thanks for the information.

~Isaiah

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

Good information, but now we have to check out this new TPG. Have a link?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

ttt for new members

shoedog1100
Coining Around

#9 Unread post by shoedog1100 »

This so called grading company does not merely over inflate the grades they commit in my opinion outright fraud, knowingly passing off coins that are sometime 50 points below their real grade. It is obvious they are doing this to trap unsuspecting newcomers to the hobby. Its not that they don't belong in our hobby they belong in prison. I still see this fraud going on every day on e bay. Check out Sankerus or Hertels coins they are selling this garbage currently. I looked at a liberty quarter that was marked MS65 when in fact the coin was an XF details coin that had been harshly cleaned. no one slabbing coins could honestly make a mistake like that, and it was constant on every single slabbed coin from them. It is fraud pure and simple, now proving that in a court of law would be extremely difficult, but it is fraud none the less.
ANGS should be out of business as they are a cancer on the hobby.

fyrdog1
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by fyrdog1 »

So I just found this site, a little late I guess. I am also a victim of the ANGS grading service. I purchased one of their Morgan's, took one look at it and questioned its grading. You know the saying "if its too good to be true", once again, it is. I will definately pay closer attention in the future. Anyone want to buy a MS66 1886 Morgan, oh by the way its ANGS graded???? Not cleaned though. Have a great day.

fyrdog1
Coining Around

#11 Unread post by fyrdog1 »

snakerus42069 seems to have several of these ANGS "graded" coins for sale, I also noted that Hertel's is another name on his site. Currently he is going to a coins show in Orlando, Florida. Look for him there.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

Good info on this seller. If you want to buy slabbed coins, I buy from cheapslabs.com. You can buy holdered coins from all the top tier and somtimes second tier grading services. If they think the coin looks the grade, they tell you, and if it don't they tell you.

coinstar
Coining Around

#13 Unread post by coinstar »

Hi have you seen this? On ebay user name (snakerus42069) every coin claims to be MS66 or higher by the same grader ANGS. Whats going on? Is this a scam? Can you help me figure out what the blazes is goin on, and is there no enforcement of any kind for US coins being fraudlently sold at a value not its worth?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Unread post by Daniel »

This is the same person as just snakesrus, they added the numbers to their id, just snakesrus is no longer a registered user. Values and grades of coins is subjective and depends on too many factors to presecute a fraud seller like this, according to our current laws. If I had the money, I would take this seller all the way to the Supreme Court.

I thought, by now, that someone would have aready attmepted a law suit against such sellers, but I haven't heard of any.

coinstar
Coining Around

#15 Unread post by coinstar »

No he is still operating more than ever, I just checked.

coinstar
Coining Around

#16 Unread post by coinstar »

The more I dive into this the more im upset about the lack of govering of our silver dollars and others, dont get me wrong, Im a starch Conservative, less goverment ALLWAYS, but something like currency that the goverment dominates, why is there such a lack? How can there be no penalties? For the 3rd party grader or for the the big three grading wrong or doin it as a favor for friend ect......... whats your thoughts on this?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Unread post by Daniel »

I was banned from Collectors Universe for voicing my opinion of PCGS greedy practices. I have been told that, even though it's a public forum, I can still be cencored since they own the forum and run it.

I didn't say anything disrespectful, just said that PCGS onsite photos, at the coin show, are just another attempt to take more money from the collector and it shows corporate greed. And the photos cost around $30, and people can take their own or get them taken cheaper.

I guess, they don't take customers advice or suggestions very well. Of course, there where a couple PCGS butt kissers that chimed in and inflated the comments I made. I was actually banned by the President of PCGS, it was his post that I commented in.

I bet, if the FBI did an unbiased investigation of PCGS, and their connections, and network of dealers, they would find information that many collectors wouldn't like.

coinstar
Coining Around

#18 Unread post by coinstar »

Easy Daniel, freedom of speech on both side's is very important, I understad ur anger dont let it blind you wwith the law, think about how the law is used in this manner...............theres nothing they can do, nor would they. There are to many positions the law has to take than dealing with the diff of broker dealers on grading. I'v done a lot of research to find this out. Please post my add. Thanks Daniel your a true patriot

RHM22
Coin Expert

#19 Unread post by RHM22 »

The problem is that grading is subjective. If they think the coin is MS70 even though it's barely readable, that's not illegal, it's just being stupid. The only way they could actually be charged is if you proved that they had intent to defraud or if they made some sort of guarantee as to the coin's grade and then didn't honor that guarantee. In my opinion, the law is not how these bunko artists should be fought. Education of the collector, rather, is the most important thing.

coinstar
Coining Around

#20 Unread post by coinstar »

Education will not prevent greed...........

RHM22
Coin Expert

#21 Unread post by RHM22 »

coinstar wrote:Education will not prevent greed...........
No, but said greed will find no victims if most or all collectors know to stay away.

It's now common knowledge that coins shouldn't be cleaned, but it didn't used to be. Some coins still get cleaned, but since books, periodicals and general word of mouth have let people in on the secret, most people know not to clean coins, or any antique for that matter.

No one can ever stop Chinese counterfeiting or even false grading by trying to shut down the culprits. Even if it can be proven that a grader is trying to defraud (which it can't), 2 more will sprout in it's place. To defeat the coin scam Hydra, a Hercules is needed, and that Hercules comes in the form of education. If as much energy was exerted educating not only the current collectors, but those of the future, then such absurd scams as buy-a-grade services and Chinese fakes would be hampered. As it is, they are both thriving.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#22 Unread post by Daniel »

Greed works both ways. One, a seller who doesn't know, or even cares, that they are selling over graded coins. Two, the buyer who thinks they can get a high grade coin for a cheap price. Nonetheless, bother are victims of their own circumstance, and ignorant of how they hurt the hobby, and if not ignorant, then uncaring and unable to see anymore than few inches beyond their own scope of financial inferiority.

I started this website, blogs and forum to help prevent coin collectors from getting ripped off. I have saved a few, while some send emails wishing they would have found my site before they got ripped off, and a very small amount are glad they found my website before they got ripped off. I wish I could do more and reach more people.

I just don't have the money to advertise, or I would be all over the coin publications and TV. I hope to be able to do this someday, and I'm working harder than most people at achieving this goal. It takes more than a temper, a few emails, and posting on forums to stop this over-grading fraud. I know this from experience.

cbc454
Coining Around

#23 Unread post by cbc454 »

snakerus42069 continues to flood ebay with dozens of outrageously overgraded, harshly cleaned coins (60 currently listed). What really gets me is the ebay feedback he is accumulating; there are lots of POSITIVE feedback entries with comments like "ANGS MS-67? TARNISHED OR BURNISHED RIM OB+RE"; "over graded but ok for price"; "nice coin, but doubt very much it is MS66": "ANGS coins are OK; know up front that they are 20 or more points overgraded."

Then there are the "Neutral" comments: "coin has been circulated...not ms67": "quite a few scraches on coin to be ms68"

And finally, one buyer who left a negative: "Coin has been cleaned, and graded by a fly by night grading system."

Feedback is supposed to help weed out the bad guys, but if buyers recognize a bad seller and leave positive feedback anyway, the system will never work.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#24 Unread post by Daniel »

I see the same thing. I hope ebay can come up with restrictions on sellers who accumulate so many neg feedbacks during a certain amount of time. Maybe limit their selling privileges until they improve their selling methods. I don't think it can be stopped, but these sellers deserve punishment.

RHM22
Coin Expert

#25 Unread post by RHM22 »

If they get too many negatives, they'll get kicked off of eBay, but that takes a lot of negative feedback.

great1putt
Coinasieur

#26 Unread post by great1putt »

Does anyone REALLY think that Ebay is going to suspend a seller like ANGS and lose those massive list, sell, and Paypal fees? Not likely. THAT'S WHY WE NOW HAVE www.usacoinbook.com and hopefully some good old solid American competition for EBAY in the coin world. :patriot:
A seller has to commit an illegal act...not just a slight of hand on unsuspecting buyers. Believe me, ANGS would have to basically sell, take the money, then not ship probably around 50 items in one month before Ebay did anything to them. Outright counterfeit is about the only way a seller is going to be kicked to the curb.
Sad but true. I have quit buying on Ebay except maybe some silver bullion type coins just to fill out things. Anyone looking to build a real collection with hard core slabbed high end stuff is gambling on Ebay. I have seen counterfeits come out of top tier slabs.
I am like the other guys...for slabbed stuff there is cheapslabs.com.

Maineman750
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#27 Unread post by Maineman750 »

The big thing with eBay is watching for a return policy,knowing what to look for,and returning it .I've gotten refunds this year that total over $1600 from eBay.If enough people would do that,I'm sure they would rethink their position.However, I'm much more inclined to go with USACoinbook because of the lower fees and the fact that they are sticking to coins and accessories.As for graders,I'm sticking with PCGS,NGC,and ANACS.......the last not being quite as conservative as the first two,but much more "user friendly" to deal with.
Roger

hparker619
Coin Wizz

#28 Unread post by hparker619 »

dj_john69 wrote:I've been seeing a lot of these coins on eBay. I'm glad i didn't buy their garbage. Thanks for the info !!
i'm with you on this one if its not pcgs or ngc i'm out !

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#29 Unread post by Daniel »

This seller has now changed their name to snakerus4z5r and all they sell are these ANGS over-graded and cleaned coins. However, their auction description claims they don't know about theses coins and asks for no negative feedback.

Here's how goofy they're:

"YOU WILL RECEIVE EXACT COIN AS PICTURED, SO THERE SHOULDNT BE ANY PROBLEMS WITH ITEM AS DESCRIBED CATEGORY AS STATED BY EBAY POLICY.
WE DO Guarantee the authenticity of this coin... .. you will receive exact coin as pictured though so no negatives please as you are buying the coin as pictured and any problems let us know before u leave feedback bc we cant fix a problem with an item if we dont know about it......"

I say:
Oh come on, snakerus4z5r! You know many people are buying the coin as YOU graded it, and not by the image. If not, then why offer them graded? I know why, because you hope a person will place a higher bid since the holder says so.

Steps down from soap box.