1970 D .25 DDO FS-101

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
bmp804
Coining Around

1970 D .25 DDO FS-101

#1 Unread post by bmp804 »

Good Evening - I recently found a few quarters with DDO FS-101 varieties on them and sent them off to NGC. Just received back today and the 1970 D came back without the variety. I knew the coin had machine roller damage and would come back as a details grade - but for finding in pocket change, paying face value for it, thought it would be a cool and rare variety to get certified. I thought maybe I was seeing something that wasn't there and that's why it didn't get the attribute, but upon getting back today, re-examining it, checking Variety Vista and other graded examples I still think I have the variety.

Wondering if anyone else has had this happen and wondering which direction I should take - send off to ANACS? Just take the loss and have a $50 damaged quarter?

I'll attach some pictures - I know the coin is circulated and worn but the main points I am seeing is the splitting in the middle high point in the W in We, the notching on the top of the 7 in the date, minor notching in the upper left of the 1 in the date, and the upper right point in the Y in LIBERTY.

Love to hear some other thoughts.

Thanks!
Attachments
W in We
W in We
Notch in top left of 1
Notch in top left of 1
Notching in 7
Notching in 7
Top left of Y in Liberty
Top left of Y in Liberty
No variety given
No variety given
These users thanked the author bmp804 for the post:
Just814
Rating: 3.03%

SensibleSal66
Coin Master

Re: 1970 D .25 DDO FS-101

#2 Unread post by SensibleSal66 »

If you had asked me before you sent it , I would of said , NO. No evidence of doubling or at least "true doubling" . Too bad you lost money . Live and Learn .
Member of CONECA
" All replies are my opinion based on experience"
Casual Collector 40+ years , 10 years Error coins ( still learning).

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

I don't know what anybody else is going to tell you, but I do see your variety here, in a circulated later state condition.
It's important that you become familiar with the grading companies and their policies.
The particular company you have chosen, will only attribute this as a variety mintstate condition.
You can look on their website, and they will tell you this with the designation of "MS" in the description of what they will attribute.

You can just label the slab yourself, and show your images to a prospective buyer, if your intention was to sell it.
These users thanked the author Paul for the post:
bmp804

C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

bmp804
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by bmp804 »

@Paul - could you point me to where the company says only MS examples would be attributed. I sent another pre-80s quarter FS-101 in and it came back a straight grade in AU. I've hunted their website, but not finding anything regarding this.

Thanks for the reply and input!

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Earle42 »

I agree with everything Paul said. The DDO is there (very fat letters Sal - not from damage). And as he has said - just put the pics if selling.
If not and you just want it slabbed for your own collection with the label saying its the DDO, then either buy a slab for it yourself and label it as (PCIS) Paul's Coin Identification Service (whom I trust more than PCGS anyway!) or find a company that will label it for you.

Its a shame about the money spent. You can post here for help anytime :)
These users thanked the author Earle42 for the post:
bmp804

Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

Paul

#6 Unread post by Paul »

From the NGC website
Attachments
NGC 1970 D DDO FS – 101.PNG
These users thanked the author Paul for the post:
bmp804

Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

bmp804
Coining Around

#7 Unread post by bmp804 »

Paul, isn't that just them saying what that coin pictured is graded in? I had a bicentennial FS-101 come back as a AU55 and that listing shows the same "MS".

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by Daniel »

Yes, MS in this sense means a business strike but not a coin that must grade MS. Also I am not really seeing the doubled die myself. Coin has been circulated and that could be why the letters look a little "different". I could be wrong but NGC must not have seen it or it's not the die pair they attribute in their holders.
These users thanked the author Daniel for the post:
bmp804

Paul

#9 Unread post by Paul »

Mintstate coins can on occasion come back graded AU....
Does this happen often? No.
I have several mintstate coins graded AU55, & AU58...... they were just not properly stored, or were slightly discolored from some very old light original surface contaminants.

Of course, early die state (EDS) coins are preferred..... As the variety will be very easy to see and distinguishable.

This all comes down to the attributer & grader, ... as they inspect the coin, and decide what to give you.
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

bmp804
Coining Around

#10 Unread post by bmp804 »

An Update -

Decided to send this off to PCGS to try and get attributed as I was still confident in the coin. I know, probably putting too much time and money into the coin since it is damaged, but hey - its mine :D .

So here is the result. Still wondering why NGC would not attribute but at least it is now.
Attachments
thumbnail.jpg
Screenshot_20220222-111854.png
thumbnail (1).jpg

Paul

#11 Unread post by Paul »

bmp804 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:33 pm

So here is the result. Still wondering why NGC would not attribute but at least it is now.
I think I already answered that
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Iceresistance
Coin Expert

#12 Unread post by Iceresistance »

It's a shame it has the Ring of Death, but at least it's the FS-101 confirmed by PCGS!
You are never too old to learn something new

Earle42
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Unread post by Earle42 »

At least the OP does not mind the ton of cash out into this. The hobby is about fun.

Just my preference, but I would have saved the money and bought an MS walker!
Common grading company shortcomings & resulting co$tly mi$take$ to collectors (using Kennedy No FG halves):
https://tinyurl.com/y7rksxu8

How much squash would a sasquatch squash if a sasquatch would squash squash?

bmp804
Coining Around

#14 Unread post by bmp804 »

Paul wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:35 am
bmp804 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:33 pm

I think I already answered that
So, just "up to the attributer & grader...as they inspect the coin, and decide what to give you"? Does that make PCGS better at attributions or NGC just cherry-picking ones which ones to grade? As I see it a variety is there or it isn't.

As far as then only grading on Mint State (MS) coins as shown on their website I believe that is just their labeling of either business strike or proof struck coins. On every business strike coin variety listed it is labeled as 'MS' on their site and every proof variety listed it's labeled 'PF'.

Earle42, you're correct I probably should've stuck the money into something to further my collection!

Thanks for the feedback while I learn.