1953-D variety?

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
claudewill1
Coin Wizz

1953-D variety?

#1 Unread post by claudewill1 »

Hello,
I was wondering what type of variety this would be if any? :
Obv
Obv
Rev
Rev

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1953-D variety?

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Why do you think this is a variety, it helps to be more detailed. Thanks

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

:confused: :mad:
Where, What ..... ??
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

claudewill1
Coin Wizz

#4 Unread post by claudewill1 »

Daniel wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:29 am Why do you think this is a variety, it helps to be more detailed. Thanks
I apologize, I forgot to add that portion. The D appears to be touching the bottom of the 9 and 5. I have looked at multiple other 1953-D as well as other 50s from the Denver mint, and none appear to have the mint mark as close to the date. This is with the emphasis on multiples being hundreds out of what I own.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

Mint mark locations do vary and that is very common and normal since they were hand punched until 1990.

Paul

#6 Unread post by Paul »

Daniel wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:40 pm Mint mark locations do vary and that is very common and normal since they were hand punched until 1990.
:agree: , nothing very special with a slightly out of place mint mark ….
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#7 Unread post by DSCoins »

Paul or Daniel
Quick question on this subject. Somewhere I think I either read or heard a nickel in which the mint mark is up and to the right of the date which is a error/variety. Sorry I don't remember the date. So out of curiosity, could this one fall into the same group or am missing something? Not disputing your comments on this at all. It really is all about my curiosity.

DScoins
USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901

Paul

#8 Unread post by Paul »

Of course mint marks that are way out of place, will command a premium…
... & Mint marks that are touching a device will also command a premium, but I have not seen one yet!
These users thanked the author Paul for the post:
DSCoins
Rating: 2.94%

Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

claudewill1
Coin Wizz

#9 Unread post by claudewill1 »

Hi Paul, So say if I were to find a coin with a D that is partially overlapping the date or something similar that would be something worth a premium? Thank you, I am just trying to learn more, I am just recently starting to get into errors and varieties.

pahwa
Coin Expert

#10 Unread post by pahwa »

HI claudewill1, if by chance you found a coin with a mint mark touching a number lets say on a 1953 D, with the life of a die, producing several hundred thousand coins, and 66 years later and such an obvious error I would think it would have been found by now. I looked to see if there was an RPM with a mint mark in that location and couldn't find anything that looked right. However, the one in your picture, there looks like an interesting anomaly to the south. But much clearer pictures would be needed to seeing if that is really anything at all. I did happen to run across a thread where there was a discussion of mint mark placement on the 1953 penny. When I was looking at the 53 D, it looked like they were several different styles or types of punches used during the year. There are all sorts of shapes of dies. Now maybe it is because the had an 83 - year man punching it one day and the next day it was a 28 - year - old trainee 6'3" 240 lb. bodybuilder that punched the next day and punched twice as deep as the older gentleman. There is a picture of a coin with your mint mark on it, a guy nicked named it the "high D". Here is the link: (I hope it is ok with Daniel.) 1953 D High D Mint Mark.
These users thanked the author pahwa for the post:
Paul

Pahwa
Leave no coin unturned!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

This is the only, more modern, misplaced mint mark worth a premium in my video here. I have found many, many 1953 D cents with different mint mark positions.

claudewill1
Coin Wizz

#12 Unread post by claudewill1 »

Thank both of you for your help. I am trying to learn as much as I can about errors and varieties. I am having more fun with coins now than I have had. Originally, I just stuck with Morgan and Peace dollars because it was easier for me and I didn't want to branch out. I have, however, started to go into different coins.
These users thanked the author claudewill1 for the post:
pahwa

DSCoins
Coin Guru

#13 Unread post by DSCoins »

I think that it should also be pointed out if I am not mistaken that because the mint mark was manually punched on each working die which makes the coin, that means you could get thousands of them. I hope I am right on that.
OK lets see if still remember this. A Master Hub is used to make Master Dies, The Master Dies which are used to make Working Hubs which in turn make the Working Dies sticking the planchet. One last thing tat should be mentioned is that hubs have raised images and dies are incuse. Ok here is where I always mess up. When the Mint Mark was placed by hand it should be on the working die. Now why did I go through that.
If it had happen as Paul explained, you should have a lot more 53-Ds, and they would have been found already. I sure hope I got all that, because now I have a head ache.

DScoins
These users thanked the author DSCoins for the post (total 2):
Paul, pahwa
Rating: 5.88%

USN Retired Jun1977-Jun 1997/100% disabled VET. (Not a wounded warrior)
Member CONACA
ANA
PCGS
NGC
Finds to date
2000-P .05C Strong Clashed Die O/R PCGS # 14129072 photo at maddieclashes
1983-P DDR FS-01-1983-501
5 2000 WAM FS- 901