Post your TOP pieces and how TPG rated them.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Jsul77798
Coinasieur

Post your TOP pieces and how TPG rated them.

#1 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

So as it says, I thought itd be cool to see how people have made out by submitting a coin thought to be the best of the best top MS and what grade it got. Was it given the grade you thought it should be :trophy: ? Or undergraded in your opinion and driving you nuts after comparing it ruthlessly to other examples :swear ? Did a late die stage knock you a point? Was it toned colorfully, bright or a bit dull? A contact mark far from any focal point get ya? What have you learned?

So post what you feel were that top top grade coin you picked, how they came back from TPG, any difference between the big 3 TPG and what lessons were learned in your hunt for that gem.

Thanks guys!!!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Post your TOP pieces and how TPG rated them.

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Almost no one gets the top pop grade they think they're coin is; and I assume you're talking about cents here. The only thing there is to learn is when submitting coins to try and get the money you grade, prepare to lose money and that it's like rolling the dice and playing the lottery. There's nothing else you're going to learn and I've studied this more than most and been disappointed more than most.

BABAKAFSHAR
Coinasieur

#3 Unread post by BABAKAFSHAR »

In PCGS Their graders grade 60-70 coins per hour means less than a minute for each coin (because they get paid $1 per coins) , based on that making a mistake is not impossible and I think they have (the graders) order not to grade a coin higher than a specific grade no matter what the coin looks like another thing is (my opinion only) in their system they have something special for special people and their coins are the top pop always. It’s business and they making money from it and they don’t care about the hubby . If you check top pop coins you’ll see they start to show up at a certain time and finish at a certain time too .THIS IS THE WAY BUSINESS IS AND NO ONE CAN FIX IT ... my dad always told me you’d be an stupid if you think you’re going to get one of those high grades and I never listen but now I’m sure he was right

Jsul77798
Coinasieur

#4 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

I agree with all thats being said and because of that it makes it really tough to pony up the greenbacks not being 110% confident youll get the proper grade if luck lets ya stumble onto a real gem. Just thought it would be a cool thread to see and study the pieces people thought for sure were right there but didnt come back that well. What would ya say about this? 43 S Jefferson. Not a mark on it more than the lightest scratch and even hardly a 1 of them. Sadly not the best date or FS but prob the cleanest Jefferson Ive come across. Has a really nice rainbow tone too. Pics do NOT do it justice at all and makes the tone pattern look like marks in a few areas...Anyways, thought itd be a cool discussion and thread to toss around and show of the goods......
Attachments
20191126_024221.jpg
20191126_024411.jpg
20191126_024341.jpg
20191126_024236.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

You're Jefferson Nickel looks cleaned in these images.

Jsul77798
Coinasieur

#6 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

Yea, my camera just wont capture the detail needed to give justice at all to what this thing truly looks like. Any striations you might be seeing are the pattern of the tarnish/tone. Other than that I can assure you with all the confidence I can that there are zero hairlines on this that would point to a cleaning. I cant say there may not have been a quik dip at some point but nothing over done or negativy altering as far as I can tell....Is there something other than that which pointed to cleaning? Again, the pics are the best I could do but dont do justice...

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

Toning is consistent with a cleaning and it does look like lines on the reverse.

Jsul77798
Coinasieur

#8 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

When yiu say cleaning, you mean being dipped, correct? No contest, you have much more experience on that and the signs of it than i do. I cant see any evidence whatsoever of abrasion anywhere though and Ive looked as close and careful as i can. Assuming you do mean being dipped, are you saying you see characteristics of an overly dipped and then toned coin and Is that the striation pattern of the toning? Thanks for your time and input.

Jsul77798
Coinasieur

#9 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

*****Edit******

I just looked at the pics again and think I see what you are talking about. Just got a chance to really re inspect this thing. If Im reading the marking correctly, it looks like the lines you are seeing are die abrasion. Obv are clearly raised when really inspected as are the Rev..There do appear to be a very few though that I think are from contact but are very light and very tough to see well with the tone...I somehow dropped the res on my camera and fixed that so here are a few more pics....The obv are def die abrasion. The rev appear to be also best I can judge....Is there a "tell" you see that says otherwise?
Thanks Dan
Attachments
20191129_024324.jpg
20191129_023853.jpg
20191129_023932.jpg
Last edited by Jsul77798 on Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikev50
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#10 Unread post by mikev50 »

pcgs did a fine job on the grade--
1915S (1).JPG
1915S (2).JPG
1915S (3).JPG
1915S (5).JPG

Jsul77798
Coinasieur

#11 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

Wow!!!! So you have an uncle that works for PCGS as a grader, huh? That is ...yea.....very fine indeed....lol

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Unread post by Daniel »

The lines on this coin do not look raised to me but the images are blurry also.

BABAKAFSHAR
Coinasieur

#13 Unread post by BABAKAFSHAR »

In the pictures there are no reflection (it might be the way you took the pictures, might b) but seeing a coin without any light reflection at all usually means that the coin has been cleaned (dipped too many times) and with the toning your coin has makes it more likely a cleaned coin , but again it might be the way you got the pictures And the lines on the coin , the way lights reflect from them doesn’t seems to be raised