Saw your YouTube videos

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
dynarb
Coining Around

Saw your YouTube videos

#1 Unread post by dynarb »

Good evening.

I saw on one of your information videos, so I searched and found this community site.

You asked to tell a little about myself, so here goes.

My dad started me in this back in the 70s, I was just a kid. I think he did it more to keep me out of trouble. He'd hand me an old Whitman nickle folder and give me his pocket change. I am not a serious collector, I do it for fun. When my dad passed, I gathered up all his old loose coins and folders and placed them in a trunk. Several years later I bought several 2x2 cards and placed in them all the Morgan's, Benjamin's, SLQs there were plus a few gold pieces. Those I placed in loose binder sheets and back into another trunk they went.

I have added to the coins over the years. I'd collect a handful of new mintages as they changed, place them into shot glasses (I have a collection) until they were full and then put them in a trunk.

This year I've purchased several coin albums, gathered all the coins from their respective trunks and sorted them. Many went into their new albums, some stayed in their 2x2 coin page. The old folders got tossed as several were in really bad shape being over 50 years old and hauled across several states as I've moved. I have very carefully researched and watched different coin selling sites (Ebay, Amazon, USMint, etc) and have purchased the odd few to fill in a hole or two.

From my collection I pulled a completed 1941-1974 Whitman blue folder that had my dad's handwriting in it; filling in the dates from the mid 50's to late 60's where my handwriting took over. I gave to my older sister as a gift. That folder my not be worth much monetarily, but it's one of the very few things we have of our dad, so it's priceless in our eyes.

And there you have it. I have no earthly clue how much my collection is worth. There isn't much, it's a personal hobby and not serious. I enjoy it because it reminds me of how I got started in the first place and the stories my sister has shared with me about her and dad; the mercury dime and buffalo nickel fiascos.

Cheers!

Dyna

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Saw your YouTube videos

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing!

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

:welcome:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

dynarb
Coining Around

#4 Unread post by dynarb »

Thanks for the welcome!

So, I'm watching one of Daniels YouTube videos about who to buy coins from. So far I've purchased one coin off eBay from a young lad who I linked to him via YouTube and watched before purchasing from him, to support him and to fill slot in an album. I've also bought some from the US Mint, commemorative coins mostly. I've made a wish list on Littleton Coin Company, but have not yet bought coins from them. I pop on several sites for supplies and do price checking and buy from the company with the same supplies at lower costs. I have several recent coins I'd like to fill in that seem to elude me during coin roll hunts; 2009 P Lincoln Memorial cent, a 2009 P Jefferson Nickel, 2009 P Roosevelt dime...wait, I just noticed that they are all 2009 P...what gives? :confused: The 2 places I have visited here in town that carry coins are high end jewelry stores and coin dealing is not their priority. So, now I am at a loss. It seems the closest coin dealer is 2-3 hours away as are any coin shows. I really do not want to use sites like Littleton, eBay, Amazon to fill the niche of 'S' proofs (e.g. 2009 DC & Terr., 2004-2006 nickels) I'd like and I figured a dealer would be the best way to go.

Any suggestion?

My location is in Gainesville, Florida.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Dyna

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

What lad linked my Youtube to their auction? Thanks

dynarb
Coining Around

#6 Unread post by dynarb »

I found you through him actually. I've been perusing coin videos, it started with RFT (rob loves treasure) watching him search bank rolls. Until then, I never heard of such a thing. He promotes other coin hunters, which led me to him and then to you, but I do not recall his name. Sorry.