False Doubling

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

False Doubling

#1 Unread post by mhonzell »

I know this has been discussed a billion times, so please ignore if you've already got it down pat.

Many times Daniel points out that what we (me included) think is doubling is either Abraded Die or Strike Doubling.

Abraded Die is the result of a mint employee polishing a die with grit to remove indications of a die clash. Polishing the surface is performed with a flexible surface (such as a fingertip) and results in uneven pressure, especially where surfaces are depressed into the die. This polishing wears off the sharp edge between the flat surface and the indentation. Now, when the die is used metal flows into this angled edge area and creates a "ghost" of the item. Similarily, Die Deterioration, can result in ghosts as those same egdes wear away over time.

Strike Doubling is caused by the die moving slightly as the pressure is released after striking the planchet. The actual imprint on the coin is the lower, "doubled" imprint. But, due to the die movement, as the pressure is released, the die cuts into the raised surface, displacing the object and leaving a very flat "doubling" with a sharp shelf-like edge. That movement is never exactly the same on two coins. So, it is considered damage, not doubling.

Here's my rendition of the process:
Attachments
MD.jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

Re: False Doubling

#2 Unread post by mhonzell »

Okay... quiz time... widegrin

Is the following coin showing:
1) Abraded Die
2) Strike Doubling
3) Die Doubling (edited: maybe I should have said "Doubled Die")
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Last edited by mhonzell on Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

fwd
Coin Expert

#3 Unread post by fwd »

...I'm gonna go out on a short limb here and say............none of the above, it be a doubled die on account I thunk I saw some notching... widegrin

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Unread post by mhonzell »

Notching is a term related to doubling that is exhibited when a letter has squared off corners. The rounded edge runs into it's double and creates a notch in the character. (see below)

Strike doubling can give you a two-pointed corner, but not the notch.

With that... I'm not sure where you are seeing notching in that photo. Since I get this call wrong a lot, it would help if you point it out for me.
Attachments
Notching.jpg
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by mhonzell »

Clarification on this stuff is always a bonus. Thanks!

I chose the picture for the quiz because I also thought it had machine doubling (strike doubling) and abraded die characteristics. But, if you look at the R in TRUST, you can see a definite split in the serifs on the right leg. Splits cannot be caused by Strike Doubling or Abraded Die. The coin is graded and labeled as a DDO as a result. So, most likely, it is all three.

Sorry the photo is fuzzy, but it is straight from eBay and what I'm typically working with when looking for a variety. Wanted to give realisitic conditions... widegrin

I chose the 1971 because it was a coin in contention. "All the leading authorities" have declared this as an abraded die. Cherrypickers Guide still lists it as a doubled die. It is "at the boundary" and requires each individual to make a decision on it. As a result, submitting it is iffy, at best. Look at the Y in LIBERTY (right side of leg.) There, the heavy abrasion is more evident and looks more like the typical "ghost" doubling.

I'm including a Jefferson nickel below with both Abraded Die and Die Deterioration that might help. Notice the doubling in both directions on the T. I think PALH1 describes this as "mushy."
Attachments
1971 Abraded Die.jpg
1971 Abraded Die.jpg (34.44 KiB) Viewed 4896 times
Jefferson Die Deterioration.jpg
Jefferson Die Deterioration.jpg (48.46 KiB) Viewed 4895 times
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Unread post by Daniel »

Good idea to provide realistic situation photos :thumbsup:

fwd
Coin Expert

#7 Unread post by fwd »

I'm not sure where you are seeing notching in that photo.

...top and bottom of the "G" and the bottom of the "R" in 'in God we trust'

mhonzell
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Unread post by mhonzell »

I'll have to give you the notching. I don't see it.

What I have found though is that the more experience you get at seeing these details, the easier it is to recognize them. Good job, fwd!
Civil War Tokens
Morgan Dollars
Ancient Coins

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Unread post by Daniel »

I think he's talking about the top end, inside of the G and the leg of the R.

ave13co
Coin Collector

#10 Unread post by ave13co »

I asked Daniel if I could upload a few images of more false doubling. Starting with two different 1969S Penny's and so on. The last one is a 1993 D penny. You might have to zoom in ...
Attachments
upl69a.jpg
upl69b.jpg
upl71.jpg
upl72.jpg
upl73.jpg
upl93.jpg
upl93a.jpg

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Unread post by Daniel »

Thanks, the more we get the better it will be to use them in a video.

IDigSarasota
Coining Around

#12 Unread post by IDigSarasota »

mhonzell wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:43 am Okay... quiz time... widegrin

Is the following coin showing:
1) Abraded Die
2) Strike Doubling
3) Die Doubling (edited: maybe I should have said "Doubled Die")