Cleaning vs. Wear lines

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
Jsul77798
Coinasieur

Cleaning vs. Wear lines

#1 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

So my question is specifically about identifying cleaning marks on cleaned coins vs. the normal wear and improper handling marks in the wild. Take a nice AU/UNC Morgan dollar. Its got nice luster and cartwheel, not many marks, but in the flat feilds there could be somes scratches that resemble the type you would find all over a cleaned coin. These are only light and only noticeable in the fields Are these types of marks ONLY left by attempted cleaning? Or would improper handling of their era, in and out of wool pants as well as other storage issues and movements since new also cause those fine light scratches? If so at what line (other than obviously) does it cross from normal wear scratches to suspected cleaning? I hope this makes sense and i dont sound like an idiot..lol....i know its technical but im checking off questions ive had...lol..thanks for any input!!

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cleaning vs. Wear lines

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

Here's my video on identifying cleaned coins https://youtu.be/9m9XxVXoshE

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

It may be helpful for you to research some of the subjects regarding "Flip Friction", and "Album Friction".

This can be a very touchy subject, especially when it comes to TPG grading. Many times a coin will be designated as cleaned, when in reality what's being seen are very light die polish lines.
Just "Flicking" a small 'dust bunny' off the surface of a coin with a cotton gloved finger tip can leave minuscule whisper hairlines... Which most will then call "Cleaned".

:eureka:
What it really comes down to,... Is how much surface disturbance is OK to that individual collector.
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Jsul77798
Coinasieur

#4 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

Exactly my point!!!! The act of taking a heavy, new silver dollar and handling it as you would money should produce marks on some level indistinguishable from marks left by cleaning. They will of course be light and not have the appearance of intent imo, but ive come across a few pieces i do not believe havr been " cleaned" yet exhibit some quantity of those fine scratch lines in vulnerable areas. I know i might be splitting hairs here, but it can make a difference nd nice coins aint cheap...lol

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Unread post by Daniel »

You're not going to handle or flick a business strike coin and see the marks with the naked eye. You would have to literally intend to mark a with something sharp or with a lot of pressure.

Paul

#6 Unread post by Paul »

:eureka:
Always remember: "Buy the coin, not the slab".
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

Jsul77798
Coinasieur

#7 Unread post by Jsul77798 »

Thanks for your input. I know it may seem like going a lil overboard but the devil really is in the details with these things and Im really trying to explore every angle i can come up with. Especially if it will strengthen my grading and evaliation skills.....so again, appreciate your time and input...