Need Help to Attribute 1971 Washington Proof

Ask a question or post your most recent discovery.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
budung
Coinasieur

Need Help to Attribute 1971 Washington Proof

#1 Unread post by budung »

Hi everyone. I have two sets of 1971 Proof Set. One set, which I will call Set 1 as compared to the other set (Set2). Set 1 seems to have a medium strike and does not have the same reverse as set 2. I did a little research and I came accross the website of Mr Jose Gallego where he is suggesting pick up points for attribution. There are still many differences between the 2 sets but I am only limited to post 10 photos. Your feedbacks and comment will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Here are some photos.
Attachments
Obverse of Set 1
Obverse of Set 1
Washington 71 OBV Set 1.JPG (76.1 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
Obverse of Set 2
Obverse of Set 2
Reverse Set 1
Reverse Set 1
Washington 71 REV Set 1.JPG (82.93 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
Reverse Set 2
Reverse Set 2
Washington 71 REV Set 2.JPG (86.57 KiB) Viewed 1482 times
Arrow Tip Set 1
Arrow Tip Set 1
Arrow Tip Set 2
Arrow Tip Set 2
Leaves and Tail Set 1
Leaves and Tail Set 1
Leaves and Tail Set 2
Leaves and Tail Set 2
Leaves on right wing Set 1
Leaves on right wing Set 1
Leaves on right wing Set 2
Leaves on right wing Set 2

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

Re: Need Help to Attribute 1971 Washington Proof

#2 Unread post by Paul »

.... can you give a "description" of what your seeing as 'the differences' in your comparison images plz.
whistling2:
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

budung
Coinasieur

#3 Unread post by budung »

Hi PALH1. Firstly in my limited knowledge of photography Imade sure that both coin were taken under the same condition such as distance, lighting, exposure, angles to get the best results, etc. I found it difficult to take good photos specially since the coins are i na holder. IMO Set 1 has a weaker strike in both the obv and rev. Set 1 has a bigger ribbon on his ponytail. Outline of the hair is weaker in Set 1. The receding hairlines are different. The rev of set 1 is weaker if we look at the outline of the primary and secondary wings. The weak tips of the leaves on the left and right wing. The small leaf on the right wing is shorter. Tail of Set 1 looks flatter vs Set 2 which is much bolder and more pronounced. This are off course MO and I might be biased. BTW both coins are SF minted.

budung
Coinasieur

#4 Unread post by budung »

Also, the point of the arrow tip in Set 1 is sort of leaning towards the left. Arrow tips of Set 2 are sharper and the separation of the tips from one another are more stronger.

Paul

#5 Unread post by Paul »

... i think you might be searching too hard for some sort of anomaly ... ?
i DO NOT hugeeyes any "SIGNIFICANT" differences in your image comparisons ... JMO

:eureka:
keep in mind that die pairs will degrade/breakdown as the 'run' of hits with them progresses. this is true for all dies, & the 'details' of the "devices" will not show the 'crispness' of an EARLY DIE STATE (EDS) coin strike in the later stages of that particular die pairing.

:eureka:
..... which leads to "grading"..... & is a complete different animal.
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

budung
Coinasieur

#6 Unread post by budung »

I fully agree with you PAHL1. However, if the differences are due to die deterioration how come they are only affecting the pickup points. I dont know it only MO. Here is a photo of some letters from the legend. All letters in the legend are as crisp as this.
Attachments
RDV Separated ES
RDV Separated ES

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

PUPS or pick up points are only die markers to ID varieties or die pairs. What your pointing to are not pick up points but design elements that have slowly "degraded" do to die wear and would be later in the "run" than the other that has sharper details.

This doesn't designate or imply a variety but rather the die state and stage of the die pairs that struck these coins.

Paul

#8 Unread post by Paul »

... did daniels explanation make more sense ??
whistling2:
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

budung
Coinasieur

#9 Unread post by budung »

Thank you guys. I requested for opinions and feedbacks and I got them. Well I may be stubborn but I am sensible. All your responses make sense, appreciated, informative and :agree:

budung