1909 S VBD with foreign material removed?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, POST IT HERE. Numismatic related posts only.

Moderator: Daniel

Forum rules
Here's a link to how to post a topic with images in our community https://coinauctionshelp.com/welcome-to ... community/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You also agree to follow these guidelines. You must agree to these rules to be a member of this forum. NO SPAM! Spam is deleted within minutes, no spam will ever be left in our community.

1. Post a front and back image of your coin with a specific question about what you’re seeing or asking about and one coin per topic.

2. Please remove coin from the holder unless it’s US or an official mint case or unless it is graded by a grading service.

3. Images should be taken by a camera or cell phone camera, we ask that members don’t use images through a microscope screen.

4. Always start your own topic, please don’t ask about your coin or post your coin in someone else’s coin topic.

5. Do not send private messages about your coin unless an Admin ask you too and the same for sending emails through the board.

6. No spam. Do not post any links to your coin or other non-coin websites.

7. Always be respectful even if something makes you upset or you don’t agree with a member. You can always get a second opinion elsewhere. If you have an issue then politely ask an admin in an PM. PM’s are for issues, technical and personal, but not for coin questions (refer to number 5 on this list). Our community is not a soap box for complaining or drama, so please refrain from doing so here.[/size]
dennisinokla

1909 S VBD with foreign material removed?

#1 Unread post by dennisinokla »

DSC00214.JPG
DSC00215.JPG
DSC00216.JPG
DSC00217.JPG
DSC00218.JPG
DSC00219.JPG
DSC00220.JPG
I am finally retired with enough time on my hands to look at the pile of coins I have hoarded over the years.

I am new at the coin error game. I bought this penny from a local that advertised it as "improperly cleaned". It became a place holder in my collection. I have a beautifully slabbed 1909 S VBD that I claim is a $22,000 penny with a $20,000 staple scratch. LOL

In regards to this penny. The thought is perhaps someone had "electrically" eroded a piece from the penny while trying to clean it or perhaps had struck it with an electrode. That does not really make a lot of sense but in 109 years, anything is possible.

Upon closer inspection (several years after I obtained it), I think the injury may be due to a piece of cud or some other foreign material that may have been impressed into the penny during minting and eventually the foreign item fell out.

Here is why: The imprint does not push down the rim and missing letters, had it been an impact after mint, the letters should be shown as "smashed" or "blurred".

Anyway, before I send it off for grading, what do you think?

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 1909 S VBD with foreign material removed?

#2 Unread post by Daniel »

My first impression is the coin has been stamped with something after mint. However, the images are to blurry and I need to see both sides of this coin.

Also I would be more concerned with authenticity than this mark. I can authenticate if you could show a clear image of the mint mark or consult my guide here
http://coinauctionshelp.com/Coin_Help_B ... e-idenify/

Also here's a video for helping you take better coin images.
[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/-Bk2KYdgJeE[/BBvideo]

Paul
Master Die Variety Examiner

#3 Unread post by Paul »

:welcome:

:agree: D
C.O.N.E.C.A. Wi State Rep
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

dennisinokla

#4 Unread post by dennisinokla »

Thank you Daniel, I used your authenticity page and verified the coin is authentic with exception of verifying the "pimple" in the S which my eyes are not good enough to verify with my magnification. I will take a chance and send this to PCGS with my argument(s) which include the reveres opposite the imprint is very slightly bulged and the wheat stalks are more pronounced or sharper in that area even though it should be worn more in that area. I suggest the coin was imprinted a bit harder against the reverse die due to the foreign material causing a sharper, perhaps harder area that has resisted wear better than the rest.

Thank you for the info, I always worry about counterfeits. I am sure a person can make a very large collection of known counterfeits.

Paul

#5 Unread post by Paul »

D, ... do you think this would come back as "tooled" ??
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep

dennisinokla

#6 Unread post by dennisinokla »

Maybe. Only one way to find out. I will guess it will be graded as "damaged" if they do not buy into my foreign object fell out theory. I hate to lose it as a space holder in the book but I really want to know what the professionals think.

Daniel
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Unread post by Daniel »

You can't be certain P...

I do know the coin will come back a problem coin. I am a professional at this as is Paul and I am full time at it. I have to know these things or I can loose money. I believe it needs authenticated since that's more important than any other aspect of this coin.

PetesPockets55
Forum Supporter
Forum Supporter

#8 Unread post by PetesPockets55 »

I believe the OP as far as genuine but it looks PSD to me at the LI of LIBERTY. Since whatever struck it (metal punch?) caused the reverse side to bulge away from the surface.
The area couldn't be pushed into the reverse die at the time the planchet was struck. The wheat lines would still be separate.
I would keep it as a filler. But that's just me, not wanting to spend the $ to get a details grade.

Paul

#9 Unread post by Paul »

PetesPockets55 wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:45 pm I believe the OP as far as genuine but it looks PSD to me at the LI of LIBERTY. Since whatever struck it (metal punch?) caused the reverse side to bulge away from the surface.
The area couldn't be pushed into the reverse die at the time the planchet was struck. The wheat lines would still be separate.
I would keep it as a filler. But that's just me, not wanting to spend the $ to get a details grade.
:agree:
Fly-In Club Wi State Rep